Do you have to have a reason to drink good port?

Anything to do with Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Do you have to have a reason to drink good port?

Post by Conky »

This started as a question I was going to ask Uncle Tom after his Tasting Note. In fact I still will here and now

Tom,

Can I be nosey? If I was to drink a Taylors 83, or similar bottle, I would need an occasion. Doesn't have to be much, a friend visiting, a birthday,etc,etc.
I get the feeling your lucky enough to have the cellar and the inclination to just 'Open a bottle'. Is that true or do you attach it to a reason.

Alan

But of course, what about the rest of you. Am I alone in needing a good reason, Do loads of you just indulge yourselves when your in the mood?

Alan.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

I am unlikely to open what I class as a "Real" VP without some good reason. I don't have an absolute definition of "Real" but for the sake of argument lets equate it directly to cost and call it anything with a retail value of around £30 or more.

I will open bottles in the £10 to £20 range without thinking about it too hard, although most of my consumption by volume is probably below £10 due to my habit of buying vast quantities of supermarket 50% off offers.

The £20 to £30 bottles probably take a hit once a month just because I want one. Above that it tends to be special occassions or Offlines.

Derek
bman
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by bman »

I do, only because it's so bloody expensive. But then again, I don't need a GOOD reason! :lol:
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I'm like bman. I need a reason. But I can be pretty flexible when it comes to finding one.
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Passing gas is reason enough for me :roll:
But seriously , anything in the $ 100.00 cdn. range is opened on family get togethers only . ( I don't see the folks to often )
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Here are my top twenty reasons:

1. Births
2. Deaths
3. Marriages
4. Birthdays
5. Anniversaries
6. Bah Mitzvahs
7. Christmas
8. Diwali
9. Easter
10. New Year
11. Saints Days
12. There's some cheese
13. There's some chocolate
14. It's cold
15. It's hot
16. I have visitors
17. I am visiting someone
18. I need cheering up
19. Someone else needs cheering up
20. I fancy a glass of port
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Can I be nosey? If I was to drink a Taylors 83, or similar bottle, I would need an occasion. Doesn't have to be much, a friend visiting, a birthday,etc,etc.
I get the feeling your lucky enough to have the cellar and the inclination to just 'Open a bottle'. Is that true or do you attach it to a reason
I feel a little guilty hogging an old or valuable bottle to myself, but aside from that I don't feel the need for an 'occasion' to crack a bottle.

I choose bottles for a variety of reasons - mostly they go on 'death row' first, and then get picked for reasons that are fairly spontaneous.

I chose the Taylor '83 because a) I don't think I've tackled one before, and b) it's some time since I last opened an '83.

My other death row bottles are currently:

Graham '75
Vargellas '78
Gould Campbell '77
Croft '66

Only the Croft is being held for a special occasion - I am currently on my annual starvation (diet) - ten pounds down, with eight to go - the Croft will be my reward when I hit my target - hopefully before the end of July..

Tom
Last edited by uncle tom on 20:24 Sun 24 Jun 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Impressive Death Row. Dont you do 'Ordinary' or do you drink LBV's and the like between your Death Row victims?
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

..Roughly two bottles in three are VP...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I forgot

21. Biennial meeting with bman.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

and, of course, there is always......

22. The day ends in a Y 88)
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

23. I'm in Birmingham in a hotel where there's a 40th birthday party going on... and I'm not invited.
bman
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by bman »

[quote="KillerB"]I forgot

21. Biennial meeting with bman.[/quote]

We gotta make those more frequent, and on this side of the pond, one of these days....
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I really do have to get over to Canadia one day. I presume that wherever I land you'll be near - it's only a little country, isn't it? I checked the population - it's about half the size of the UK.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Because I fancy some port. Only reason.

Post by jdaw1 »

Because I fancy some port. Only reason. (You see, I always fancy some port. So that reasons hold true every time I open a bottle. Supplementary reasons include the wife fancying port, a port tasting, or just because I fancy some port. It’s really that easy.)

Nine in ten are VP.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

9 in 10 are VP
I'd love to know what the 1 is?
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

I usually have some sort of occasion for the moment - opening one of the limited VPs in my stock that are "ready to drink" or near ready means I am opening a bottle worth at least $150 usually. I suppose when I get to be around 60 and the '03s start to mature, assuming I've picked up ample stocks of them, I will likely open them more often due to "just because." :D

Todd
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Churchill White Porto

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:
9 in 10 are VP
I'd love to know what the 1 is?
E.g.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Obvious error of judgement if you still have it 1/10 times.
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

For me anything from the 70's and older needs at least a little bit of a special occasion, but from the 80's I just drink them as I fancy, alone if need be. Special occassions can be as simple as having freinds over.

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I tend to be with Jay here. Anything from the 80s or 90s or 00s is fair game for me on my own.

About once a month I will open something older, because its there and happens to be leaking or just looking sad. This will generally be something from the 70s or 60s and, again, generally where I have more than one of them.

Older bottles tend to only get opened when I am with other port appreciaters so that they don't get wasted.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Mines a combo of Jay, Derek, and Alex. The younger stuff, say 1990-forward, and the cheaper stuff (under $30) get opened whenever without care. The older and more expensive stuff I try and open with other port loving friends so others can share in the fun.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote: Older bottles tend to only get opened when I am with other port appreciaters so that they don't get wasted.
I can testify that it is possible not to waste a bottle of old port without other port appreciaters in attendance :roll: :lol:

Derek

PS: AHB, do I have to mention the words "Quinta do Noval Nacional 1960" :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

ADV wrote:Mines a combo of Jay, Derek, and Alex. The younger stuff, say 1990-forward, and the cheaper stuff (under $30) get opened whenever without care. The older and more expensive stuff I try and open with other port loving friends so others can share in the fun.
my word Andy, you can get VP for UNDER $30 in the US? I thought it was just the UK where this wonderful condition exists. Ok, for SURE now I have to move out of Canada. :shock:

Todd
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Todd,
Yeah, but mainly the SQVP's or stuff I get from time to time at auction. Oh, and the VERY occasional sale item.