2014: the TPF blend

Anything to do with Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 2014: the TPF blend

Post by Axel P »

I personally do like the idea, but as Derek mentioned we should not create the slightest note of being that arrogant to be able to create something extremely special.

Firstly we should think about the category (Vintage Port, LBV)? Secondly someone has to get this approved by the IVDP, which can only be a registered producer and thirdly where do we get the other ingredients from? I could think of some, but they have to be on board prior.

Lastly who is the tasting panel? Tasting young Vintage Port samples is everything else than simple. I learned a lot being a couple of time with the enologist team of the O-PORT-UNIDADE Port and listened in: http://o-port-unidade.com/Enologist.html

So some challenges to be solved first, I believe. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

While getting a bit away from the original idea of a 2014 VP, perhaps a more feasible idea would be to blend a special TPF edition tawny. I suspect a producer or two with whom you are friendly with would entertain a blending demonstration and bottle a chosen blend of your collective taste. That removes the barriers of trying to work with either finished components or with very raw materials, as I'm guessing blending very young VP is akin to blending base wines for Champange, not nearly as fun as it sounds. It also removes the time barrier of lining all of this up in a certain window of opportunity and even opens the door to all of this being done in London (if your producer is willing to tote a few barrel samples with them).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think some of you need to go back and read the earlier pages of this thread. Especially this one....
DRT wrote:An open question to those who are keen on this idea:

Would you be happy for the shippers to amend your status from "Enthusiastic Consumer" to "Member of the Trade"?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:On the subject of UK bottlings, the following comes from the Wine Society catalogue of April-September 1988.

Would you be happy for the shippers to amend your status from "Enthusiastic Consumer" to "Member of the Trade"?
I am willing for members of the trade to think that I am somebody who reads old Wine Society catalogues.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

Andy Velebil wrote:I think some of you need to go back and read the earlier pages of this thread. Especially this one....

Just an opinion, but I could see something along the lines of my tawny idea being much more easily perceived as "enthusiastic consumer" than member of the trade, as it still retains the winemaker/house as the central authoritative entity. In such a scenario, it can be couched as more of a request for a masterclass in the magic of blending from a pro rather than an attempt at working around the system.

I only mention it as the winemaker I used to work for would do something similar on the high end tours and once or twice a year for wine club members. Folks would taste component grapes and a few prospective blends. She never ended up bottling a separate blend for anyone, but if the group can commit to an appropriate amount at the right price, someone already friendly to the group might make it a fun side project to put it together. Perhaps one of the folks that has been to a tasting or two with the group before? Or perhaps conducted in concert with a tasting such a figure would be excited to attend?

I agree that an attempt to go vine to bottle or even young wine to bottle would hit multiple points where it could be perceived poorly, or at least foolish enough where it wasn't becoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkz. U
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

We could always ask a friendly producer to do a TPF labelling for us... That would be enthusiastic.

EDIT: would 2014 mark the 10th anniversary of the TPF?

Further EDIT: I now see that it started in 2007
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Doggett wrote:We could always ask a friendly producer to do a TPF labelling for us... That would be enthusiastic.

EDIT: would 2014 mark the 10th anniversary of the TPF?

Further EDIT: I now see that it started in 2007
Excellent. This gives us time to prepare for the 2017 TPF Blend.
Glenn Elliott