Keeping track

Anything to do with Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Keeping track

Post by flash_uk »

Would be interested to know how everyone goes about keeping track of what they have in the "cellar". I know AHB has what sounds like a very well-tuned spreadsheet. What do others do? Spreadsheets? Apps? Other software? Websites? Nothing?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Keeping track

Post by Glenn E. »

www.cellartracker.com

Great tool, and it's free. :D
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

flash_uk wrote:Would be interested to know how everyone goes about keeping track of what they have in the "cellar". I know AHB has what sounds like a very well-tuned spreadsheet. What do others do? Spreadsheets? Apps? Other software? Websites? Nothing?
I have made several attempts to organise things without much sucess, The port I have at merchants is of a small enough amount that I can remember it all if I try. The stuff I have stashed about elsewhere is more troublesome. I am reduced to peering into corners with a torch and a small piece of paper to record my findings on. There is something rather delicious about discovering some port you forgot you had, and it gives me a chance to furtle about with the wine. In truth though I am more generally disappointed by how quicky I run through a case once it's opened.
A mate of mine is perpetually pestering me to put it all on a thing like Glenn advises, I am coy in reply and have not yet given in.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Glenn E. wrote:http://www.cellartracker.com

I did try this briefly, but found it lacked some critical functionality - there were a few aspects where i felt it was inferior to a simple excel spreadsheet but the one i remember most was the inability to specify whether something was held in bond or duty paid when specifying price.
Rob C.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

RAYC wrote:

I did try this briefly, but found it lacked some critical functionality - there were a few aspects where i felt it was inferior to a simple excel spreadsheet but the one i remember most was the inability to specify whether something was held in bond or duty paid when specifying price.
So you are a spreadsheet user?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

+1 the best cellar management program out there, hands down.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

RAYC wrote:

Ray,
It's simple actually. The program allows you enter that info in a large number of places and in different ways. Wherever it is most convenient for you.

I add it to the "purchase" bottle note line. But you can also add it to the "location" by making something such as "BB&R in Bond" and "BB&R Duty Paid" as the current storage location. That way you know where it is and what is and isn't DP. You can do this as a lot (if say you buy a case) or per bottle individually. Cellartracker has a lot more customizable options than most people think.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

flash_uk wrote:
RAYC wrote:

So you are a spreadsheet user?
I rely on the online account tools of Berry Brothers and Seckfords to keep track of my bottles stored with those merchants and I try to keep excel relatively up to date for things stored through various other merchants or at home. Since 2010 I have had a locker at Big Yellow Wine Storage which remains only partially inventorised (and I hope will yield some exciting "forgotten" bottles when i get round to sorting it out). But I have a slightly scattergun approach to recording - supermarket LBVs / tawnies will tend to pass in and out of my wine fridge without ever getting recorded, and i tend not to track dry wines that i do not regard as "special occasion" bottles.

Because i'm lazy and find it a bit of a pain to keep up to date on excel every time I buy or open a bottle, as of 2012 I have been relying on evernote for keeping the primary record / audit trail of ins and outs on a day to day basis - I find it very easy to simply forward by email, or scan via scansnap scanner, all invoices / receipts direct to a specified folder there. Likewise, whenever i open a bottle, i send a quick email via my blackberry to the same folder with details of what I have opened. It is from that record that i then update my excel spreadsheet every few months. I'm not sure how secure evernote is and I know some people have concerns, but I don't think I'm sending anything with my card / bank account details so will keep going until someone convinces me otherwise.
Last edited by RAYC on 04:57 Thu 20 Feb 2014, edited 1 time in total.
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Andy Velebil wrote:Ray,
It's simple actually. The program allows you enter that info in a large number of places and in different ways. Wherever it is most convenient for you.

I add it to the "purchase" bottle note line. But you can also add it to the "location" by making something such as "BB&R in Bond" and "BB&R Duty Paid" as the current storage location.
I'll have another look - but i still feel that if i am going to invest the time in properly recording all my holdings, i want that information to sit in its own line / column (rather than be cludged by adding it to a line / column containing other information).

Otherwise i can't see how - by that method - you could instantly sort to see at a glance all the permutations you might want eg: everything held in bond, everything held in Storage XYZ or home wine-fridge, everything UK-bottled from 1970, every bottle with below-neck fill and/or previous signs of seepage etc.. Last time, i couldn't work out how that could be done on cellartracker (or, at least, couldn't see why I would not simply do it on excel given its relative ease and flexibility).
Rob C.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Ray,
I'd suggest using CT in the old "Classic Mode" (use the link at the bottom of the page). I prefer the classic mode to the newer more flasher design. The classic mode is basically a spreadsheet style of record keeping.

If you're that concerned about knowing and easily searching for those with low-fills, etc. I'd do what I recommend for storage locations, but add whatever after so you can easily search for all those. Like this...

BB&R - Low Fill - DP
BB&R - Low Fill - IB
BB&R - DP
BB&R - IB
Cellar - Low Fill
Cellar - Leaker
Cellar - normal fill

Then searching is as easy as clicking the appropriate storage location.

Granted, there is no program where you'll get everything you want unless you make your own system. That's a huge investment in time for a small return unless you're cellar is 15,000 bottles (just a random large #). The nice part of CT is most wines/Ports are already entered so a lot of the info you don't have to re-enter each time you add a wine or remove it. And you can access it from any computer or smartphone.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

Andy Velebil wrote: And you can access it from any computer or smartphone.
This is indeed a good advantage
Rob C.
CaliforniaBrad
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by CaliforniaBrad »

I'll add my two cents that cellartracker may not be perfect, but can be molded to be very good in just about anyone's desired configuration/cellar.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

As ever with this type of thing, seems like no single solution has everything one would want. Had a quick look at cellartracker - looks good, but no facility to store photos. I'll maybe give this a try: Vinocellar. Seems to have both Apple apps and web front end, and an ability to export/import to/from spreadsheets for those with OCD on lists/sorting/filtering.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

flash_uk wrote:As ever with this type of thing, seems like no single solution has everything one would want. Had a quick look at cellartracker - looks good, but no facility to store photos. I'll maybe give this a try: Vinocellar. Seems to have both Apple apps and web front end, and an ability to export/import to/from spreadsheets for those with OCD on lists/sorting/filtering.
You can upload photos to Cellartracker.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Oh. I must be blind - missed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I use a google spreadsheet which I can access from my phone or laptop, and cellartracker too. I don't really use all the functionality in CT though. My spreadsheet has different sheets for info on delivery charges to Belfast by merchant, on price comparisons on wines I'm currently salivating over, and, importantly, a record of who here I owe money for different bottles!
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

i personally use a google spreadsheet also

some peopel swear by cellartracker, i don't particularly care to pay some thing/see ads for something I get lazy about using.

Though if one were meticulous about it, cellartracker does add some useful features.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
marc j.
Fonseca LBV

Post by marc j. »

I too use CellarTracker, although when I first tried it out I was unimpressed. Over time I was able to increase its functionality by using many of the tools and features that are available. It took a bit of time to figure out all of the bells & whistles, but once those are understood it becomes a great tool for managing your cellar.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have solved the problem of choosing which method to use to keep track by not keeping track 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:I have solved the problem of choosing which method to use to keep track by not keeping track 88)
how do you decide what to drink then?!?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

DRT wrote:I have solved the problem of choosing which method to use to keep track by not keeping track 88)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

g-man wrote:
I look at the bottles and pick one :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:
g-man wrote:
I look at the bottles and pick one :D
A solid plan. Often supplemented with the "is it within reach?" sub-clause.
Glenn Elliott
JB vintage
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by JB vintage »

I use spreadsheet and add a filter so I can filter on whatever I want- region, vintage, house or whatever is important. Very flexible, full control and free of charge. In addition, I have added automatic calculations to show for example average age or total number of bottles.
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

I had an exercise book but I lost it a while ago.