Keeping track

Anything to do with Port.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Re: Keeping track

Post by flash_uk »

Andy Velebil wrote:
flash_uk wrote:As ever with this type of thing, seems like no single solution has everything one would want. Had a quick look at cellartracker - looks good, but no facility to store photos. I'll maybe give this a try: Vinocellar. Seems to have both Apple apps and web front end, and an ability to export/import to/from spreadsheets for those with OCD on lists/sorting/filtering.
You can upload photos to Cellartracker.
Andy - how do you do this? Been looking and can't work it out :(
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

When you are looking at a given wines page, click the "Upload an Image" link. (See picture) You may need to be logged into an account to do so, but not sure.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 7.23.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 7.23.31 AM.png (50.27 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

Andy Velebil wrote:When you are looking at a given wines page, click the "Upload an Image" link. (See picture) You may need to be logged into an account to do so, but not sure.
Ah I see - thanks!
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

flash_uk wrote:As ever with this type of thing, seems like no single solution has everything one would want. Had a quick look at cellartracker - looks good, but no facility to store photos. I'll maybe give this a try: Vinocellar. Seems to have both Apple apps and web front end, and an ability to export/import to/from spreadsheets for those with OCD on lists/sorting/filtering.
Well I gave this a try - it is very good, seems to do everything cellartracker does.

One thing which it seems is not possible with either this app or cellartracker is to store a photo/photos of bottles related to specific bottles in the cellar. So both will allow you for example to associate a photo for a wine called 1970 Graham, but that photo applies to any and all G70 bottles which you log. So if you bought a case of G70 and stored it on a shelf, then bought 3 further bottles and stored them on a different shelf, they all get the same image in cellartracker or VinoCellar.

The other thing which I think is a bit of a weakness is it only seems possible to write tasting notes on bottles you are tracking. So if you attend an offline and sample say 6 bottles, only one of which was from your own cellar and you were tracking, then there appears to be no way to add notes for the others. I suspect a workaround is possible, perhaps settling up a new location for each offline e.g. a location "140218 TBH Thirsty at Halfterm", then add the various bottles to this location, together with tasting notes.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Isn't that why TPF is such an important resource?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:Isn't that why TPF is such an important resource?
Indeed yes!
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

flash_uk wrote:
Well I gave this a try - it is very good, seems to do everything cellartracker does.

One thing which it seems is not possible with either this app or cellartracker is to store a photo/photos of bottles related to specific bottles in the cellar. So both will allow you for example to associate a photo for a wine called 1970 Graham, but that photo applies to any and all G70 bottles which you log. So if you bought a case of G70 and stored it on a shelf, then bought 3 further bottles and stored them on a different shelf, they all get the same image in cellartracker or VinoCellar.

The other thing which I think is a bit of a weakness is it only seems possible to write tasting notes on bottles you are tracking. So if you attend an offline and sample say 6 bottles, only one of which was from your own cellar and you were tracking, then there appears to be no way to add notes for the others. I suspect a workaround is possible, perhaps settling up a new location for each offline e.g. a location "140218 TBH Thirsty at Halfterm", then add the various bottles to this location, together with tasting notes.
Having played around a bit more with VinoCellar, I am rapidly becoming a big fan. I have managed to overcome the two issues I noted above. The user interface on the iPad is really excellent.

Anyone interested in taking a look is welcome if we bump into each other at an offline.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

xls. The biggest amount of time is to keep it accurate though.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Axel P wrote:xls. The biggest amount of time is to keep it accurate though.

Axel
After wandering through the old Niepoort lodge late tonight I wonder whether accuracy is everything.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

xls here too. I can see a simple database would work better, though you'd want to be able to design it yourself ideally, so xls is the compromise which allows me to simply store and manage exactly what I want to.