New to Port Appreciation - Storage Question

Anything to do with Port.
Sid_Mac
Cruz Ruby

New to Port Appreciation - Storage Question

Post by Sid_Mac »

Hi,
I'm new to port appreciation and wanted to know how long I can expect to store an opened bottle of Graham's 20 yo Tawny before it deteriorates.
It's being kept upright at 55 degrees F. (in a small wine refrigerator)

I have other general port questions, but I'll read posts here at the forum first because no doubt my questions have been discussed.

Thanks! :D
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Welcome to the forum!

Provided you keep the stopper in the bottle, it's not likely to go off on you with any speed.

I wouldn't keep a part bottle for months, but re-visiting the bottle leisurely over a week or two is not likely to result in any major deterioration, and with the aeration it might actually improve a little.

Personally, I like to serve tawnies cold - out of the fridge.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Hi Sid Mac,

Good to see you here. Hope you stick around.
Regarding the Tawny, the first couple of days will see it in pristine condition. Thats when the sudden burst of air can, and often does change the sublties of the taste. But with a good standard Tawny like you have, it should be a lovely drink for a few weeks in the conditions you have. I wouldn't be surprised if it was drinkable into the months.
There is a general concenous that the really old vintage ports, if they've survived for a 100 years plus, might give you a glorious hour or two, before fading fast. But thats not a concern here.
If you know for certain you are not going to drink it for say a couple of weeks, and you just want to preserve it, put a stopper in the bottle and put it in a very cool fridge. That will slow down any degredation to a minimum.

But now you know the generalities, and I'm sure others will chip in, I suspect that as you explore the site a bit more, you'll end up drinking this one a little bit quicker than you expected, causing this topic to be more theoretical, than practical. :D

Alan
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

uncle tom wrote: I wouldn't keep a part bottle for months, but re-visiting the bottle leisurely over a week or two is not likely to result in any major deterioration, and with the aeration it might actually improve a little.

Personally, I like to serve tawnies cold - out of the fridge.
That sounds a right to me. I like tawny a touch warmer than right "out the fridge", but certainly with a little chill on it.
Sid_Mac
Cruz Ruby

Post by Sid_Mac »

Thanks everyone!
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

The 10-20 year tawnys I give two, three at most. For the 30-40 years, one week tops. (OK, I know what you're all thinking, a bottle rarely last more than 1-2 days in my house) Anyways, they won't spoil but they do start to lose freshness the longer they are open.

Everyone's palate is a little different and everyone has their personnal preference. Use what we suggested as guidlines and in short order you'll find what you prefer.

After opening, storing them in the refrigerator is always best, then let it warm up a bit in the glass before you drink it.