IVDP glasses and square stems

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

At the Christmas tasting in Wendens Ambo we used a number of IVDP glasses, the kind with the square stems and the notch for a finger. JDAW expressed a dislike of these glasses for the reason that he feels the notch makes one hold the glass in one position, whereas he prefers to rotate his glass, port being a sticky drink after all.
I thought about this and since then have been using my own IVDP glasses regularly, as usual, but with the difference that I have been paying attention to how I hold them, and how easy or difficult it is to rotate them. I have come to a conclusion.
I find the glass as easy to use if I hold the stem between thumb and forefinger, with my little finger beneath the base and my forefinger in the notch, as it is to reverse the position, so that my thumb rests in the notch. Then again, I can also hold it so that both finger and thumb rest on one or other of the straight sides. I do not find this difficult or awkward.
I continue to like my IVDP glasses!

Some posts below this moved to Look Back in Anger (at IVDP glasses and square stems).
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: IVDP glasses and square stems

Post by PhilW »

Personally I'm not a fan of the square-stemmed with notch glasses. I'm not sure I can be a lot more specific than that I find the the smooth stem much more comfortable to hold than the corners and notch. Of course, I realise that others may need the notch in order to ensure that they always hold the glass in an identical position to avoid holding-bias on the tasting results...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:JDAW expressed a dislike of these glasses for the reason that he feels the notch makes one hold the glass in one position, whereas he prefers to rotate his glass, port being a sticky drink after all.
I thought about this and since then have been using my own IVDP glasses regularly, as usual, but with the difference that I have been paying attention to how I hold them, and how easy or difficult it is to rotate them.
The notch does nudge into one of two positions, 180° apart, it pushing more strongly towards one. I don’t like this: Port is sticky, so the whole rim needs to be used evenly. Indeed, drinking at home I’ll change glass when the whole rim is sticky. (But at the Bung Hole drinking is usually split over many glasses.)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

It also forces your finger to the slot point, which may not naturally be where your fingers would lie.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

This is amazing. I have no difficulty rotating these glasses.
Do you two have to check whether you've washed your hands before you wash your hands?

EDIT: I'm turning it round right now and holding it all over the place!
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:EDIT: I'm turning it round right now and holding it all over the place!
Perhaps we clunky scientific geeks lack the manual dexterity of those trained in the fine arts.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I am tempted to re-post my first response to this dilemma, but fear it will once again be cast to oblivion.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:EDIT: I'm turning it round right now and holding it all over the place!
Perhaps we clunky scientific geeks lack the manual dexterity of those trained in the fine arts.
I'm willing to accept that. I can well believe that you have small marks etched on the base of your glasses to ensure that you always start at the same place every time.
DRT wrote:I am tempted to re-post my first response to this dilemma, but fear it will once again be cast to oblivion.
Do it.
Daniel J.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Before it was cast to [url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7901]oblivion[/url] DRT wrote:I think you are somewhat missing the point, Daniel. These glasses should be banned as they are a risk to public health. How on earth is someone with OCD supposed to cope under the stress caused by these stems? Those poor souls will be drinking from the sticky side all night with no clue how to resolve the problem. You've got to feel sorry for them that life plays these horrible tricks.
Ernest H. Cockburn
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Pan, you just want the square corners so you can line them all up precisely, admit it!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

PhilW wrote:Pan, you just want the square corners so you can line them all up precisely, admit it!
I like that you called me Pan. I don't deny that I have magical powers.
Daniel J.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

My particular brand of CDO (it's like OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE) requires me to drink from the same spot at all times. The square stem and notch make this much easier, but I still prefer Riedel Vinums (and use the brand mark for proper orientation).
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:My particular brand of CDO (it's like OCD, but with the letters in alphabetical order LIKE THEY SHOULD BE) requires me to drink from the same spot at all times. The square stem and notch make this much easier, but I still prefer Riedel Vinums (and use the brand mark for proper orientation).
The square-stem glasses are indeed a good choice for somebody with this condition.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

the square stem messes with my ability to drink with my pinky's up
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I am a fan of the IDVP glasses. Riedel glasses are too big and too fragile. Plus, I am too deep into IDVP glasses to change course. :)
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

mosesbotbol wrote:Riedel glasses are too big and too fragile.
That's because you don't properly extend your pinky while drinking from them.
Glenn Elliott
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Pinky or not the Riedel's a very fragile (I have broken two just drying them). I have two cases of basis glasses (Majorie Lumm for $99 for the case plus shipping). They are smaller than the Riedel's but are far more sturdier (only broken ones are from dropping) and the stems are round.

Of course, a broken tea cup is fine, too.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have been using Riedel's Vinum Port glasses for about 6 years. In that time I reckon that I have broken 4 glasses. One was by snapping the bowl off the stem while hand-drying, one was popping out part of the bowl while hand-drying and the other two were knocking glasses over.

But I reckon that 4 glasses in 6 years is OK. I really like the thinness of the Riedels and the cut-glass rim. While I have plenty of the Marjorie Lumm style glasses which I use for large tastings, I prefer the Riedel style.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Are the IVDP glasses just the standard Schott Zweisel port glasses? I have a number of Axel's "World of Port"-branded S-Z glasses that i like. I don't mind the square stem, but don't recall particularly recall using the notch mark (or, at least, feeling that it contrained the holding position).

I also have the Riedel Vinum White and Riedel Vinum Port - i marginally prefer the Vinum White for its bigger bowl (and even that is not big as the glasses we use in the Bunghole, which i must admit are becoming my preference in spite of the general insistence on smaller glasses for port).
Rob C.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

RAYC wrote:Are the IVDP glasses just the standard Schott Zweisel port glasses? I have a number of Axel's "World of Port"-branded S-Z glasses that i like. I don't mind the square stem, but don't recall particularly recall using the notch mark (or, at least, feeling that it contrained the holding position).

I also have the Riedel Vinum White and Riedel Vinum Port - i marginally prefer the Vinum White for its bigger bowl (and even that is not big as the glasses we use in the Bunghole, which i must admit are becoming my preference in spite of the general insistence on smaller glasses for port).
no the standard schott's are more similar to the riedel's vinum port (but slightly thinner)
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

g-man wrote:
RAYC wrote:Are the IVDP glasses just the standard Schott Zweisel port glasses? I have a number of Axel's "World of Port"-branded S-Z glasses that i like. I don't mind the square stem, but don't recall particularly recall using the notch mark (or, at least, feeling that it contrained the holding position).

no the standard schott's are more similar to the riedel's vinum port (but slightly thinner)
Yes. SZ started making the IVDP glasses (with the square notched stem) after the original company stopped (for whatever reason). These are the same ones Axel's logos are on. This is also the only offical "Port" glass listed in SZ inventory that I could find.

Not to say there isn't another SZ glass that could be used for Port. But their website only has the IVDP shaped one listed as a "Port" glass.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Andy Velebil wrote:
g-man wrote:

Yes. SZ started making the IVDP glasses (with the square notched stem) after the original company stopped (for whatever reason). These are the same ones Axel's logos are on. This is also the only offical "Port" glass listed in SZ inventory that I could find.

Not to say there isn't another SZ glass that could be used for Port. But their website only has the IVDP shaped one listed as a "Port" glass.

oh interesting,

you're right, i didn't notice the switch over!!

There used to be a forte line of port glasses

the ivdp ones are now the siza line.

They do have the rather ugly looking diva line with the tulip bowl
Miguel Simoes
Warre’s Warrior

Post by Miguel Simoes »

Interesting topic.

I find that I like bigger glasses for young ruby (be it VP or LBV) and that a smaller glass like the IVDP works well for aged tawny or aged VP.

Rather enjoyed drinking plenty of F 07 LBV in early 2013 using riedel red wine glasses. I also appreciate the thin-cut glass at the mouth. Stopped though after breaking 2 of them, one while hand drying it, the other from applying a little pressure on the mouth when washing it.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

AHB wrote:I have been using Riedel's Vinum Port glasses for about 6 years. In that time I reckon that I have broken 4 glasses. One was by snapping the bowl off the stem while hand-drying, one was popping out part of the bowl while hand-drying and the other two were knocking glasses over.

But I reckon that 4 glasses in 6 years is OK. I really like the thinness of the Riedels and the cut-glass rim. While I have plenty of the Marjorie Lumm style glasses which I use for large tastings, I prefer the Riedel style.
I have also been using Riedel Vinums as my primary Port glass for about 6 years, and in that time I have broken 1 of them. I, too, popped the bowl while hand-drying.

They're too expensive to use for large tastings - as a group we have 6+ cases of the Marjorie Lumm glasses for that - but I like them better than the S.Z. glasses for daily use. They just feel nicer.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:
AHB wrote:I have been using Riedel's Vinum Port glasses for about 6 years. In that time I reckon that I have broken 4 glasses.
I have also been using Riedel Vinums as my primary Port glass for about 6 years, and in that time I have broken 1
I have also been using Riedel's for about 6 years and I think I have broken 2 whilst hand washing/drying. I did lose 6 one evening at a tasting but that was nothing to do with them being fragile :?

I prefer Riedel's to any other type of Port glass and am not unhappy with the attrition rate.
Ernest H. Cockburn