When will the '94s be ready?

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

When will the '94s be ready?

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I have a daughter who turns 21 in 2015. Those reading this with mathematical ability will realise that means she was born in 1994.

John Owlett's post here in which he said
John Owlett wrote:I've more or less accepted that my existing 1994 Port won't be fully ready for another decade...
made me start to wonder when the 1994s will make enjoyable drinking.

Traditionally this is in their 21st year, but I am really enjoying some of these now. Some had shut down to some extent 2-3 years ago but seem to be coming back into balance now. The Vesuvio 1994 I tasted at Berry Brothers a couple of weeks ago was wonderful, dense and powerful. This year I've also had the Dow (great after a long decant) and the Graham (surprisingly evolved). This leads me to believe that it might be worth starting to pull the 1994s slowly out of storage next year and onwards.

Give them another decade as John suggests and I agree with him that the '94s will be even better. The debate we're having over which vintage is the best from the '80s will pale once the '94s have had the extra decade to mature. I need to try to fix my current impression of the best of the 1980 / 1983 / 1985 / 1987 vintages in my mind so that I can compare the best of the '80s today against the best of the '94s in a decade's time.

Or am I wrong - are the '94s still too closed and tight to make them worth opening now or in the near future?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: When will the '94s be ready?

Post by uncle tom »

The maturation of port is something of a roller-coaster.

Wines can seem closed for eternity and then suddenly spring into life, as we've seen with F85; and vintages can sometimes appear solid and enduring, only to enter a 'Peter Pan' era when they appear to be growing old without growing up, before re-surfacing with some dignity, as we've seen with 1977.

And then you get vintages that everyone convinces themselves are in 'drink-up' mode, only to be found holding steady three decades later, such as 1960.

I was surprised - almost shocked - by the degree of evolution on the G94 at Berry's two weeks ago, and it wasn't a very good evolution either. Although I've always had '94 marked down as an early drinking vintage, one doesn't expect that amount of development so soon.

1994 was the start of a new era in vintage port, following the 'dark ages' of 1971 - 1993. And whilst this bold new era only really got its act together with the 2000 vintage, it does beg the question as to when we should start drinking them in earnest.

Perhaps the best answer is: 'when the 83s are finished'
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
John Owlett
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by John Owlett »

Thank you for picking up this theme, Alex for it's the main reason I've emerged from lurking on the forums again.

I stopped posting to the Port forums a few years ago, when it became clear that you folk were encouraging me to buy far more Port than I could drink in a lifetime! At that time, I had enough Port for 25 years drinking; all I've done since then is maintain that level; this year I bought half-a-dozen 2011 QVVV which we shall drink in 2038.

All seemed well until I reviewed this "25-year Port ladder" recently and had to answer the question, "What shall we do when the 1985 Fonseca is all drunk next year?"

The conventional answer, if I wish to stay with a 25-year ladder, is to drink the occasional bottle of 1994 to see which brand is most ready, and perhaps also drink some 1997 to see if that will be ready first.

Alternatively -- something I'm seriously considering -- I could buy a few cases of Port from the 1970s and 1980s, and reconfigure my drinking plan as a 30-year Port ladder.

Quite a daunting thought for a 65-year-old!

Later,

John
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

i love the taylor 94 i had last year

it's silky smooth yet shows some great depth in the spices and mouth feel.

The question is if you consider ready to be mature, or simply drinkable
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

It seems that you're really asking two questions: when will the '94s be enjoyable to drink, and when will the '94s be mature?

To me, 1994 started the trend toward Ports that can be enjoyed early in their lives. Many of them have been approachable all along, if not wonderful. It does not surprise me to hear that people are enjoying them now or that people think they'll be "ready to drink" soon.

But they are far from mature. I think that most of them will need at least 30 years to be considered mature, and the better ones will probably need 40 if not 50 years.

I tend toward the view that "ready" means "mature." So for me, I doubt that the '94s will be "ready" until at least 2024. I'm going to do my best to leave mine untouched until then, and I'm not worried about it because I'm quite certain that others won't be able to keep their hands off of theirs so I'll get to try one or two before 2024 arrives. :wink:
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

uncle tom wrote:I was surprised - almost shocked - by the degree of evolution on the G94 at Berry's two weeks ago, and it wasn't a very good evolution either. Although I've always had '94 marked down as an early drinking vintage, one doesn't expect that amount of development so soon.
Glenn E. wrote:But they are far from mature. I think that most of them will need at least 30 years to be considered mature, and the better ones will probably need 40 if not 50 years.
Interesting disagreement.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

The churchills is an early drinking and early maturer. I'd put cockburn in the same boat.

The dow I'm on the fence on.

The fonseca and taylor though are what I feel 20-30 year wines!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I like the idea that the '94s will be ready when the '83s (or F85) runs out.

I was also surprised by the evolution of the Graham 1994 at Berry's a couple of weeks back. I didn't consider it evolved in a bad way, just more forward than I would have expected, making it quite enjoyable to drink now and not a port I would necessarily look as a long term keeper - but I would probably put that down to sub-optimal storage.

The '94s do seem to be approachable now. Some are approachable and drinking well (Moses suggests Churchill and Cockburn), some approachable with care and in the knowledge they will be better in 10-30 years (I suggest Vesuvio and Noval).

But before I really start laying into my '94s I think I will drink up my few '91s (which seem to be pretty soft and ready now) and my '97s (which I am amazed at how evolved they are when I get to taste them).

But John, I recommend you stick to your 25 year drinking plan because then we can't be accused of encouraging you to buy more than you will drink! But of course, if you want any help in deciding the order in which to open the bottles in your cellar then we'd love to argue about it here!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

The G 94 at Berry's port walk was very different from other bottles I have had in the last year, much thinner and more evolved, thus I am not sure this is a good example other than to remind me the difference of storage conditions! The other bottles I have had have been excellent if very young.

I had a bottle of Martinez 94 at the weekend and after a 10hr decant this was very good, and ready to be enjoyed for my taste.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

In its youth, 1994 was heralded as a real giant, a son of Anak. The 1994s I’ve tasted in the last half-decade have all fallen short of this. Much of it has been fine Port, some excellent, but fine Port amongst other fine Ports. Some have decades ahead of them, whilst stocks remain. But very few now taste massive. Or is this just me?
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

AHB wrote:I was also surprised by the evolution of the Graham 1994 at Berry's a couple of weeks back. I didn't consider it evolved in a bad way, just more forward than I would have expected, making it quite enjoyable to drink now and not a port I would necessarily look as a long term keeper - but I would probably put that down to sub-optimal storage.
Think back to the Symington "Half Century of Superlative Port" tasting in 2010 (here's your TN for reference!) - I don't think those at the BBR tasting were representative bottles even if we are now 3 years later.
AHB wrote:The '94s do seem to be approachable now. Some are approachable and drinking well (Moses suggests Churchill and Cockburn), some approachable with care and in the knowledge they will be better in 10-30 years (I suggest Vesuvio and Noval).
Ramos Pinto is drinking quite nicely now. My opinion on Vesuvio changes by the bottle - I did enjoy it at the BBR tasting but it did also make me wonder whether the explosion of primary flavour that made it enjoyable then was the type of thing that just dulled over time rather than becoming better. However, I have hedged my uncertainty by buying not insignificant quantities.
Rob C.
John Owlett

Post by John Owlett »

AHB wrote:But John, I recommend you stick to your 25 year drinking plan because then we can't be accused of encouraging you to buy more than you will drink! But of course, if you want any help in deciding the order in which to open the bottles in your cellar then we'd love to argue about it here!
Thank you.

The three Ports which vie for the rôle of "Port for the year" once the 1985 Fonseca has been drunk are 1994 Dow, 1994 Quinta do Vesúvio, and 1997 Niepoort. In the absence of advice to the contrary I was thinking of trying them out in that order. But do I compare them against each other ... or compare each in turn against the 1985 Fonseca?

What say you all?

John
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

Before deciding on the '97 Niepoort you should read this thread here:
http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6334
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

John Owlett

Post by John Owlett »

Thank you for the links about 1997 Niepoort.

I already have the Niepoort, which I bought a long time ago. In the first years following its release, the independent reviews I read praised it ... of course, the reviewers did not know then the problems with leakage and volatile acidity that have since affected so many bottles.

Not, perhaps, one of my most prescient purchases. :(

John
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Are you storing at home, or professionally? If professionally, then drink the Ni97s next, because there is no advantage in paying more of their annual storage cost.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:Are you storing at home, or professionally? If professionally, then drink the Ni97s next, because there is no advantage in paying more of their annual storage cost.
\if you are storing professionally, you could sell....
Rob C.
John Owlett

Post by John Owlett »

Thank you again.

We are fortunate enough to have a wine cellar under our house, and that's where much of our Port, including the 1997 Niepoort, is stored.

One of the delights of a community like this is that different minds will latch onto things which I hadn't realized were important.

Later,

John
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Let’s return to the question of what should you drink next.
John Owlett wrote:One of the delights of a community like this is that different minds will latch onto things which I hadn't realized were important.
We have already been given one fact about you
John Owlett wrote:a 65-year-old!
but need more.
• How long will you live? Or, perhaps easier, if your father is dead, at what age did he die?
• Do your children appreciate Port?

Some possibilities.
â—Š Your parents died at about your present age, and your children have no appreciation of good alcohol. ⇒ In which case, drink the good stuff soon.
â—Š Your parents are still alive. ⇒ In which case you have good and bad to do. Drink the bad faster than the good, so that, as well as enjoying some of the good stuff now, you can look forward to the years in which everything is good.

(No need to post here the answers to the question; but you might want to tell us the conclusion.)
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:Let’s return to the question of what should you drink next.
John Owlett wrote:One of the delights of a community like this is that different minds will latch onto things which I hadn't realized were important.
We have already been given one fact about you
John Owlett wrote:a 65-year-old!
but need more.
• How long will you live? Or, perhaps easier, if your father is dead, at what age did he die?
• Do your children appreciate Port?

Some possibilities.
â—Š Your parents died at about your present age, and your children have no appreciation of good alcohol. ⇒ In which case, drink the good stuff soon.
â—Š Your parents are still alive. ⇒ In which case you have good and bad to do. Drink the bad faster than the good, so that, as well as enjoying some of the good stuff now, you can look forward to the years in which everything is good.

(No need to post here the answers to the question; but you might want to tell us the conclusion.)
What admirable directness. Presumably the 'conclusion' can be communicate via seance if necessary?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
John Owlett

Post by John Owlett »

Thank you, Julian.

The information you've requested is in no way secret, so here is probably more than you need.

A gross simplification of the West's increasing longevity is that, on average (and nobody is average), a man lives to be 6 years older than his father; a woman lives to be 6 years older than her mother. (My apologies to any of you who have just realized that you are statistically dead. :? )

My father died at the age of 72. My wife's mother didn't wake up on her 99th birthday. So my wife will be likely be drinking the Port for longer than I ... and our daughter needs to make good provision for her pension. :shock:

But nobody is average. My father's respiratory system was permanently damaged by his service in WWII. My respiratory system is fine, but, like my wife, I have diabetes. So I see no reason why I should not make 80; I shall be very pleased to make 90.

The diabetes is relevant because, although Port is in no way forbidden, every sufferer has to decide for himself or herself how to balance an acceptable sugar intake ... and we usually drink fewer than 6 bottles of Port a year.

Our three children all enjoy wine, including Port, and will happily take over our wine cellar when we are no more.

The way I have approached life expectancy and wine inheritance is to set up what I call "wine ladders". I want to have a case of good, mature Red Burgundy each year. So each year, I buy a case en primeur from the year before last to add to the ladder; and remove a case of 11-year-old Red Burgundy from the other end of the ladder for drinking. At any time, I have 9 cases of red wine maturing in our cellar or at Berrys'. Likewise, to have a case of good 7-year-old White Burgundy for drinking each year, I have 5 cases of white wine in another ladder.

This means that we have good Burgundy to drink each year ... and our children will sometime have to think of something to do with the 14 cases of Burgundy I know I shall be leaving them ... even if I do not, and cannot, know which vintages.

In comparison with 14 cases of Burgundy, 25 half cases of Port (or even 30 half cases of Port) is not such a big deal. My "Port ladder" is not as cleanly constructed, for two reasons ...

... I cannot buy an equal amount of the best wines each year, and

... the ladder has not been running for 25 years -- in the late 1980s, mortgage repayments and school fees dominated our financial planning.

Later,

John
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

John,

The Gibson family of Saffron Walden were celebrated philanthropists and Quakers. As bankers, their bank ultimately became (I am told) the first branch of Barclays outside of Norwich.

Their mantra was simple:

'Build as though you will live forever, live as though you will die tomorrow'

Another mantra comes from the Portuguese, this time in question and answer mode:

Q: Who will drink this vintage port?

A: God knows, because we will be dead by then.

In other words, don't think of your cellar in terms of your own mortality. Be grateful to those who are no longer alive and left port for others to enjoy..

..and reciprocate!
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you for engaging with the reasoning as I intended. You have made it easy: the Ni97s need to be drunk, and probably by you. They aren’t getting better, and might be getting worse. Whereas there is less hurry for the Fonseca 1985.
John Owlett

Post by John Owlett »

Thank you. Most useful. Shall do.

I went down to the cellar this afternoon, and opened the first of the 1997 Niepoort cases. Fortunately, there are no signs of leakage.

John
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

John Owlett wrote:Thank you. Most useful. Shall do.

I went down to the cellar this afternoon, and opened the first of the 1997 Niepoort cases. Fortunately, there are no signs of leakage.

John
Going on personal experience that's a very good result.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...