Oldest bottles

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Oldest bottles

Post by djewesbury »

This summer we tasted a 1795 Madeira. Elsewhere on the forum AHB has written of tasting (I think) a 1792. I expect the oldest ports that members have drunk are at least half a century younger. Am I wrong?

What's the oldest port you've drunk? And was it the oldest drink of any kind that you've had, or have there been others older?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Oldest bottles

Post by jdaw1 »

With other obvious suspects I have enjoyed an 1830 Ferreira, supplied by CMAG. But AHB has posted TNs of an 1815 Ferreira, and of an 1815 Royal Oporto. Axel has posted about an 1834 Ferreira.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB brought a bottle of something to my house a few years ago that I think was from the 18th century. I can't remember what is was but it wasn't Port.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:This summer we tasted a 1795 Madeira. Elsewhere on the forum AHB has written of tasting (I think) a 1792. I expect the oldest ports that members have drunk are at least half a century younger. Am I wrong?
The region was formally demarcated in 1755, and fortification became standard near the turn of the century. An unfortified 1754, bottled in a bottle that couldn’t be racked, would not have been intended to last many decades.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

The oldest vintage port (vs colheita) I have drunk with a definitive date was from 1922. I'm not counting:
- a "believed 1912" which was believable but not proven
- a "Whites of Leicester 1873" which was total vinegar :(

I have a bottle of something (just) older than 1922 to bring to the Bell this year, so will be guaranteed increase my "definitive oldest vintage port drunk", assuming nothing horrendous occurs in the interim!

The oldest drink of any style which I have drunk was the Oloroso 1830 sherry which Tom brought along last xmas.
Last edited by PhilW on 15:50 Tue 19 Nov 2013, edited 2 times in total.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:The region was formally demarcated in 1755, and fortification became standard near the turn of the century. An unfortified 1754, bottled in a bottle that couldn’t be racked, would not have been intended to last many decades.
Some standardization of fortification is generally put around 1815 by the industry. But it is believed to be a bit later than that before wine making practices across the board are most similar to today's fortification methods.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

My understanding was that there was not a single date, but that around the turn of the century it went from rare to ubiquitous. Perhaps ubiquity had been reached by 1815?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:My understanding was that there was not a single date, but that around the turn of the century it went from rare to ubiquitous. Perhaps ubiquity had been reached by 1815?
Taylor, on their [url=http://taylor.pt/en/what-is-port-wine/history-of-port/fortification/]website[/url], wrote:However, not all merchants encouraged the practice and it was not until well into the 19th century that this method of fortification became widely adopted. Nevertheless, it gradually gained acceptance. The prosperity of the last years of the 18th century released the capital necessary to accumulate stocks of wine and mature them for longer. The superior ageing potential of Port wines that had been fortified became apparent. The turning point is sometimes said to have been the exceptional harvest of 1820 which produced Ports so magnificent that subsequent vintages could not approach their richness and power unless they were fortified. In any event, fortification had become widespread by the 1840s and by 1850 was probably universal.
But don't forget the Baron..
He campaigned against fortification until his death in 1862
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:My understanding was that there was not a single date, but that around the turn of the century it went from rare to ubiquitous. Perhaps ubiquity had been reached by 1815?
No, from all I've read and been told there has never been an exact date where everything changed in unison. Hence, my use of "around". But around 1815 is generally regarded as the birth of modern Port. Though it wasn't believed until later, around the mid 1800's, where there seemed to be a more standard way of fortifying during fermentation.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Oldest port I've drunk was Ferreira 1830. Oldest I've opened was Unk 1851.

I have some half bottles of sherry with a solera date of 1770.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

The oldest I've tasted is an 1851 Warre.
Glenn Elliott
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

The oldest port I've drunk is Taylor's 1945.
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

djewesbury wrote:This summer we tasted a 1795 Madeira. Elsewhere on the forum AHB has written of tasting (I think) a 1792. I expect the oldest ports that members have drunk are at least half a century younger. Am I wrong?

What's the oldest port you've drunk? And was it the oldest drink of any kind that you've had, or have there been others older?
By oldest dou you mean earliest or of greater age when drunk? My answer would remain the same either way.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Andy Velebil wrote:
No, from all I've read and been told there has never been an exact date where everything changed in unison. Hence, my use of "around". But around 1815 is generally regarded as the birth of modern Port. Though it wasn't believed until later, around the mid 1800's, where there seemed to be a more standard way of fortifying during fermentation.
Your reply began ‟No”, then seemed to agree with me. At least one of us misunderstanding.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

1860 for madeira, 1927 for port are my vital statistics. I can never bring myself to fork out for older ports these days purely on the quality price ratio. Madeira I can understand lashing out on as there is a reasonable chance of getting something good.

There is a reprint of 'the earliest port wine label' in John Hurley's 'A matter of taste; a history of wine drinking in Britain' which I am sure I have seen elsewhere. It reads; Companhia geral, do alto douro, vino tinto do douro, do anno de seventeen fifty six (in figures). Is this actually likely to have been port in any meaningful sense?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

LGTrotter wrote:Is this actually likely to have been port in any meaningful sense?
In name only. As previously noted, Port wasn't generally a fortified wine until around 1815, so this would probably have been a dry red wine.
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

i've had a few 1880? ports during an old and odd a few years back when jdaw was in ny.

he also poured a thimble of some 1700 something madeira

recently i had a 1896 madeira from berns steakhouse in tampa (was surprinsingly delicious)!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:i've had a few 1880? ports during an old and odd a few years back when jdaw was in ny.
Old & Odd, Friday 7th November 2008? (My TNs were more pretentious then.)
g-man wrote:he also poured a thimble of some 1700 something madeira
1792, wedding leftovers?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

jdaw1 wrote:Old & Odd, Friday 7th November 2008? (My TNs were more pretentious then.)
No! A few hundred words of Wilde paint a better picture than all that 'gobs of wurzelberry and 94+ points' malarkey ever will. :tpf: is poorer for your lack of 'pretension'.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

LGTrotter wrote:No! A few hundred words of Wilde paint a better picture than all that 'gobs of wurzelberry and 94+ points' malarkey ever will. :tpf: is poorer for your lack of 'pretension'.
Oscar Wilde, in [i]The Birthday of the Infanta[/i], wrote:The Lizards ! took an immense fancy to him, and when he grew tired of running about and flung himself down on the grass to rest, they played and romped all over him, and tried to amuse him in the best way they could. ‟Every one cannot be as beautiful as a lizard,” they cried; ‟that would be too much to expect. And, though it sounds absurd to say so, he is really not so ugly after all, provided, of course, that one shuts one’s eyes, and does not look at him.”
In my simple way, if it stinks, it stinks, and I don’t like it.

And it was bunberry, not wurzelberry.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

jdaw1 wrote:
g-man wrote:i've had a few 1880? ports during an old and odd a few years back when jdaw was in ny.
Old & Odd, Friday 7th November 2008? (My TNs were more pretentious then.)
g-man wrote:he also poured a thimble of some 1700 something madeira
1792, wedding leftovers?
yes and no.

I believe you were going to a madiera tastin ghte next day, this was the day you were leaving ny and i brought the 1924 Taylor
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:I believe you were going to a madiera tastin ghte next day, this was the day you were leaving ny and i brought the 1924 Taylor
So on Tuesday 7th July 2009? If so, that was a Soviet 1936 Lividia.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

jdaw1 wrote:In my simple way, if it stinks, it stinks, and I don’t like it.

And it was bunberry, not wurzelberry.
I think Mr Wilde also said that anyone who called a spade a spade should be compelled to use one.

Perhaps you were on a 'Bunberry' to New York but I doubt you tasted one.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Oscar Wilde wrote:Cecily. This is no time for wearing the shallow mask of manners. When I see a spade I call it a spade.
Gwendolen. I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different.
Are we drifting off subject?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

jdaw1 wrote:
Oscar Wilde wrote:Cecily. This is no time for wearing the shallow mask of manners. When I see a spade I call it a spade.
Gwendolen. I am glad to say that I have never seen a spade. It is obvious that our social spheres have been widely different.
Are we drifting off subject?
Oh yes. But I see you are still quoting Oscar at me. Which gives me a the same warm feeling that 'the Happy Prince' must have had.