Taylor 85. £45 at Cosco.

Anything to do with Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Taylor 85. £45 at Cosco.

Post by Conky »

Just been in Costco. They are selling large amounts of Taylors 85 in a presentation box for £39, or £45 inc Vat.
I innocently thought it seemed £10 to much, but I stand corrected. :oops: Winesearcher has it at that price, and there'd be pack/post on top, plus a wait.
I wish I'd bought it on impulse, as Debs suggested, but I thought it was a little over-priced, and now financial realities and Christmas start fighting such thoughts! :cry:

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Message for Debs:

I know what alan wants for Christmas :wink:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

honestly,

the Taylor 1985 is not worth the money. Its gotta be one of the worst declared vintages they've produced in a long time. The best bottle I've ever had was at the Taylors lodge recently...and off of memory, was 87-88 points at best. I've had several bottles of this and they're all over the hill.

45 pounds could buy some Vesuvio '94 :D
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Debs:

PS: It's not Taylor 85 :?
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Pst Debs....Fonseca '85 hint hint hint
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Auction price is around £35 inc. BP - so not a bad retail price..

..but '85 was not Taylor's finest hour - better wines can be bought for less.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Agreed that the Taylor 85 is not their best. For the same money, some far better ports can be bought...
Simon Lisle
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Simon Lisle »

I was not keen on the Taylors 80 either.Pedestrian I thought
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If I recall correctly, last year in the run up to Xmas, Costco had the Delaforce 1985 for £20 a bottle. Much better value for money and a port that I bought a few bottles of.

Looks like I'll be going to Makro this year...

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

If I recall correctly, last year in the run up to Xmas, Costco had the Delaforce 1985 for £20 a bottle. Much better value for money and a port that I bought a few bottles of.

Looks like I'll be going to Makro this year...

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

That's quite a stutter you've developed Alex :lol: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Maybe he doesn't like Niepoort LBV..

..I've just put an '87 on Death row BTW..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

One of the funny things about Forums, is that you can forget something and then revisit it with a completely different viewpoint.

Having read how I started this thread, I've just started arguing with myself! Having a multi-personality disorder comes in handy at this point.

Why would you spend £45 on Taylors 85 at £45, when F85 can be found in bottles or cases all over Winesearcher at £40 a bottle! Debs, I DO want Fonseca 85 in whatever quantity your mythical purse allows.

So having disagreed with myself, I'm off to play myself at Tennis!

Alan
Overtired and emotional
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Overtired and emotional »

Buying from Costco or any other 'big shed' type of operation, wouldn't you be nervous about the conditions in which the wine has been stored? It may be naive, but wouldn't you put more trust in a proper wine merchant who knows his product than a retailer for whom this is just another line taking up shelf space?

John
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

I actually don't mind buying from costco simply because they move their inventory so fast. People really do scour the lists to see what's out there and if it's a steal ... it'll be gone as soon as they put it out.

I love costco for the taylor 20 tawny ... they had it for like 28$ before tax ...

Conky - I got lucky once and found a bottle at one of the bigger retail shops in chicago that had the F 85 for 55$ !!! only 1 tho =(
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

THe costco by me had the Fonseca 10 year tawny for about $17. A steal, although it was a BOB label...who cares whats on the label, the stuff inside was a good QPR.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Overtired and emotional wrote:Buying from Costco or any other 'big shed' type of operation, wouldn't you be nervous about the conditions in which the wine has been stored? It may be naive, but wouldn't you put more trust in a proper wine merchant who knows his product than a retailer for whom this is just another line taking up shelf space?

John
John,

I dont think there's a definitive answer on this one, because Port in itself is quite a variable. I lean more towards taking account of the general history. If for example, the provenance is 'mostly' lay flat in coolish conditions for most of its 20+ years, I'd be happy to take a punt. Even if the last two years were upright in Asda. Because of the larger alcoholic percentage through fortification, I think its quite robust as a drink. If of course someone said it had been upright on a sunny window ledge during a decade of summers, it had better reflect that in the price, as we are gambling.
I recently bought some bottles of KillerB, and because they were a favourite of mine, uncommon, and very well priced, I didn't give the provenance a seconds thought. Luckily, they seem fine.

Alan