Bottles for occassions?

Anything to do with Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Bottles for occassions?

Post by g-man »

I see most of us do open some pretty nice bottles on a whim, but I was wondering are there particular bottles we wait around for port lovers to open as oppose to wine lovers as oppose to random folks vs drinking by oneself?
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: Bottles for occassions?

Post by uncle tom »

but I was wondering are there particular bottles we wait around for port lovers to open as oppose to wine lovers as oppose to random folks vs drinking by oneself?
I'll have a pint of whatever you were drinking when you penned that... :wink:
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:
but I was wondering are there particular bottles we wait around for port lovers to open as oppose to wine lovers as oppose to random folks vs drinking by oneself?
nyquil ;-)
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

On my own I usually can't drink Port fast enough to do it justice, so almost all of my "nice" bottles are saved for when I have someone to share them with. That's more true of VP than tawny, though... I can generally finish off a bottle of 40-yr old before it starts to decline, so I'm more inclined to open them for myself. :mrgreen:
Glenn Elliott
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Glenn E. wrote:On my own I usually can't drink Port fast enough to do it justice, so almost all of my "nice" bottles are saved for when I have someone to share them with. That's more true of VP than tawny, though... I can generally finish off a bottle of 40-yr old before it starts to decline, so I'm more inclined to open them for myself. :mrgreen:
+1 on finishing a bottle by myself. Its one of the reasons I've purchased so many 1/2 bottles recently--plus they seem to age faster.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

g-man wrote:
uncle tom wrote:
nyquil ;-)
That explains. You are forgiven :lol:
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

ugh was terrible

i went to bed yesterday at 7pm and woke up at 7am
marc j.
Fonseca LBV

Post by marc j. »

Typically I try to save the pre-1960 stuff for get-togethers with other Port lovers that can appreciate the nuances of a 50+ year old Port. Anything younger is fair game!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Similar to Marc, I tend not to open anything older than a 1960 at home unless I've had a really bad day. The older stuff tends to get kept for when there is someone else around who will appreciate what they're drinking.

It tends to take me 3-4 days to drink a bottle of port on my own. During that time I quite enjoy seeing the way in which it evolves and changes. If I'm worried it might be a bit fragile, the port will get opened, double-decanted and then stored in the fridge.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.