Port and literature

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Port and literature

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:Bernhardt?
The Worshipful Company of Gardeners of London, Ladies’ Banquet at Grocers’ Hall, Tuesday 13th March 1928.
Ah, Peaches Bernhardt, Sarah's much less talented and, fortunately, edible half-sister.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

djewesbury wrote:fortunately, edible
Serving suggestion: with Noval ’87.

Were the Maids honoured by being eaten?
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Was he right? Should we throw away our over the hill wines as spent passions?
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

To return briefly to the question of the age; ie should we have drunk up our 1847 port by 1923, I see that the late great George Saintsbury said it was over and done by 1917. That is a good advocate on the side of Ms Sayers. I should think Andre Simon is now feeling pretty silly for saying it was drinking well in 1933.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:To return briefly to the question of the age; ie should we have drunk up our 1847 port by 1923, I see that the late great George Saintsbury said it was over and done by 1917. That is a good advocate on the side of Ms Sayers. I should think Andre Simon is now feeling pretty silly for saying it was drinking well in 1933.
Oh my GOD. You are a port sleuth. What about the Dow 1878... When was that at its best?
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:To return briefly to the question of the age; ie should we have drunk up our 1847 port by 1923, I see that the late great George Saintsbury said it was over and done by 1917. That is a good advocate on the side of Ms Sayers. I should think Andre Simon is now feeling pretty silly for saying it was drinking well in 1933.
Oh my GOD. You are a port sleuth. What about the Dow 1878... When was that at its best?
Hold your last case and I will get back to you.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

And Saintsbury produces a remarkably similar tasting note to Sayers. Compare; 'Truly enough the '47 port was a dead thing; the merest ghost of its old flame and flavour hung about it', with; 'When it was sixty years old and little but a memory, or at least a suggestion'. I think I should write a short monograph for the Dororthy L Sayers society.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

There was a ’47 Club at the House of Commons, comprising members born that year, who would meet for port. Somewhere I have more information, should it be important.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

LGTrotter wrote:
And Saintsbury produces a remarkably similar tasting note to Sayers. Compare; 'Truly enough the '47 port was a dead thing; the merest ghost of its old flame and flavour hung about it', with; 'When it was sixty years old and little but a memory, or at least a suggestion'. I think I should write a short monograph for the Dororthy L Sayers society.
Surely we shouldn't just take Sainstbury's and Simon's word for this? Should we not try the 1847 for ourselves to judge whether it is dead or whether it has life yet?
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

AHB wrote:Surely we shouldn't just take Sainstbury's and Simon's word for this? Should we not try the 1847 for ourselves to judge whether it is dead or whether it has life yet?
If you want an 1847 Horizontal then start a thread in the appropriate place. I’m in, but would have to adopt.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote: What about the Dow 1878... When was that at its best?
The only note so far is from Mr Broadbent. In the late sixties/early seventies it was still going strong. This is not the last word as I have some other sources to consult.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have just ordered a copy of Grimpil's Retrogress after stumbling across that website whilst googling something else.

I will report back.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Port and literature

Post by djewesbury »

Not having visited one of our offlines yet, LGTrotter has missed a port reference in the works of Miss Sayers, of which he is otherwise the undisputed master.

In Strong Poison, Lord Peter Wimsey has planted a spy in the office of Mr Norman Urquhart, solicitor. Miss Murchison, Wimsey's plant, is picking the lock of a deed box, having stayed late after work. But she realises she can be seen from the street, the office having no blinds at the window.
Dorothy L. Sayers wrote: … under the glare of the electric light, her movements were as visible to anybody in the street as though she stood on a lighted stage […] Moreover, if a policeman should pass by, would he not be able to recognise pick-locks a hundred yards away? She peered out again. Was it her agitated fancy, or was that a sturdy form in dark blue emerging from Hand Court?
You're quite all right, Miss Murchison. The sturdy form is DRT emerging from the Bung Hole, where he was enquiring after his missing decanting funnel.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

Sturdy? Surely a well formed man moving with the ease and grace of a tiger would have put me more in mind of DRT? Svelte was the word I was searching for.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Yes yes. Of course.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote:Seal colours were not widely recorded at that time. However, the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers’ stock list of January 1876, includes 4 dozen and 11 of ‟Beachcroft” 1847, ‟Green Seal”, purchased in 1875.

Of course, perhaps Beachcroft was a BOB for Taylor, and ’47 would have been rather young in ’55.
Messrs. Christie, Manson & Woods, on 23rd May 1874, sold “The Cellar of Wines of Algernon Perkins, Esq., Deceased, Late of Hanworth Park and Harley Street”. Lots 16 to 24 totalled almost 26 “Dozens of Port (Beachcroft and Wilson), bottled 1855, black seal”, at prices from 64/- to 72/- per dozen.

(Note to self: pictures 18606-10.)
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I have been reading 'A matter of taste; a history of wine drinking in Britain' by Jon Hurley. It is the first wine book with a chapter on port that I can't find on the 'books about port' website. It is readable and and scholarly enough without being turgid. I bet the bloke who runs the website would rate it three stars, same as everything else. :wink:
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Seal colours were not widely recorded at that time. However, the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers’ stock list of January 1876, includes 4 dozen and 11 of ‟Beachcroft” 1847, ‟Green Seal”, purchased in 1875.

Of course, perhaps Beachcroft was a BOB for Taylor, and ’47 would have been rather young in ’55.
Messrs. Christie, Manson & Woods, on 23rd May 1874, sold “The Cellar of Wines of Algernon Perkins, Esq., Deceased, Late of Hanworth Park and Harley Street”. Lots 16 to 24 totalled almost 26 “Dozens of Port (Beachcroft and Wilson), bottled 1855, black seal”, at prices from 64/- to 72/- per dozen.

(Note to self: pictures 18606-10.)
… 'and literature'?
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:… 'and literature'?
And you waited how long to make this point?

I have found a brief reference to port in Candide;

'Pangloss was in the middle of his sentence when the officer nodded to his henchmen, who was pouring him out a glass of port wine.'

But then, so little consideration is given to the rebuffing of Liebnitz's philosophy on :tpf: I am not surprised it went unremarked until now.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

Owen it was only your erudite revival of the thread that alerted me to its earlier abuse. So you see, you have only yourself to thank. Now I must go looking for references to port in Charles B.
Daniel J.
AW77
Morgan 1991

Post by AW77 »

LGTrotter wrote: But then, so little consideration is given to the rebuffing of Liebnitz's philosophy on :tpf: I am not surprised it went unremarked until now.
I think :tpf: has to deal with Leibniz first. :)
The Eleventh Commandment: Thou shalt know thy Port
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

djewesbury wrote:Owen it was only your erudite revival of the thread that alerted me to its earlier abuse. So you see, you have only yourself to thank. Now I must go looking for references to port in Charles B.
Bukowski? You are in a dark place.
AW77 wrote:I think :tpf: has to deal with Leibniz first. :)
I wondered if you were out there, tried any 1540 Steinwien tonight?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I bet Bukowski drank more port than Baudelaire. Baudelaire probably only drank Tawny.
Daniel J.
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

“That's the problem with drinking port, I thought, as I poured myself a drink of port. If something bad happens you drink port in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink port in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink port to make something happen.”
Adapted from― Charles Bukowski, Women
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

LGTrotter wrote:“That's the problem with drinking port, I thought, as I poured myself a drink of port. If something bad happens you drink port in an attempt to forget; if something good happens you drink port in order to celebrate; and if nothing happens you drink port to make something happen.”
Adapted from― Charles Bukowski, Women
:lol:
Daniel J.