Port and literature

Anything to do with Port.
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962

Re: Port and literature

Post by AHB » 15:34 Fri 13 Jan 2017

djewesbury wrote:... I'd have murdered the lot of them, starting with Harriet.
Rather a harsh critique on poor Harriet Walters' efforts in the 1987 TV adaptation. Personally I thought she was rather good and played off Edward Petherbridge's foppish twit better than most would have been able to.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury » 15:35 Fri 13 Jan 2017

AHB wrote:
Rather a harsh critique on poor Harriet Walters' efforts in the 1987 TV adaptation. Personally I thought she was rather good and played off Edward Petherbridge's foppish twit better than most would have been able to.
Ian Carmichael was better. On the wireless.Those TV adaptations look horribly dated now.
Daniel J.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...

AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962

Post by AHB » 16:09 Fri 13 Jan 2017

djewesbury wrote:
AHB wrote:
Ian Carmichael was better. On the wireless.Those TV adaptations look horribly dated now.
I agree with the view that wireless is more timeless than TV. Which leads me to wonder whether Paul Temple ever indulged in decent Port. I do recall he and Steve fumbling around in a lightless cellar in one story and discovering by touch some Champagne, which they opened and which he recognised by taste and smell.

I'll need to listen to the stories again to see whether Port is mentioned.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter » 22:02 Fri 13 Jan 2017

AHB wrote:
I am with Daniel on this one, assuming he means Harriet Vane, rather than Walters. I think one of the main problems with "Busman's Honeymoon" was that it was written as a stage play and then converted into a novel. If Daniel means Harriet Walters then I am with Alex. Either way Ian Carmichael is the man for me.

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by PhilW » 21:58 Wed 15 Feb 2017

Having just watched the film "Remains of the day", I noted the butler removed a bottle of Dow 1913 from the cellar. Fortunately I was able to check in "Port Vintages" to confirm that no such vintage appears to exist. Does anyone know whether the bottle is mentioned in the original book?

PopulusTremula
Niepoort LBV

Post by PopulusTremula » 05:13 Wed 05 Apr 2017

In Our Game by Le Carré:

I remember thinking, as the thousand-voiced choir of angels struck up inside my head, that if you're celebrating your emergence from the black light, a bottle of '55 Cheval Blanc and a large dose of Graham's '27 port make an appropriately celestial accompaniment.

Great author, wonderful command of English. And the yarns aren't half bad either.