Decanting time on 92 Malvedos?

Anything to do with Port.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Decanting time on 92 Malvedos?

Post by Axel P »

Gents,

I just received 12 bottles Malvedos (half bottles). Does anyone have experience with these concerning decanting time?

Muito obrigado in advance,

Axel
Last edited by Axel P on 07:22 Sat 06 Oct 2007, edited 1 time in total.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

Some will advice 12-24 hours and the debate can go on and on.

It is an half bottle, they evolve a bit faster. I'd decant for 3 hours and witness some evolution in the glass over time.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Axel,

As Fred was correctly suggesting, it's an individual thing. I'm certainly one that doesn't go for the classically short times you read about in the books. I personally try to find a few people who seem to have similar results/tastes as me, and feed off them. It's very important, when you have an expensive one off bottle, which could be the centre of attention at an event.
However, you say you've got 12 bottles! So relax, put one evening aside, and sip it during the evening, leaving a glass for the following day. We'll then learn from your thoughts, for when some of us only have the one similar bottle. You'll have another 11 left, and you'll know exactly where you stand with them.
Now having said that. I'll 'guess', that due to it being a half bottle, being a 92 (Youngish), not a Blockbuster-Fruit-explosion Shipper...3 hours.
I'll look forward to the results. (NB. There's no 'i' in Malvedos, is there?)

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Be interesting to know if these are in good form - recent encounters with '92's have been less than inspiring.

Assuming your decanter has got a stopper, I doubt you'll notice much difference between 24 hours and 72 - but you might notice a distinct improvement beteen 12 and 24.

So unless you need your decanter for something else, play safe and decant early.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Axel P

There actually isnt an i in Malvedos...

Post by Axel P »

... although the portugese pronounce it that way. Thanks, Alan, for the reminder.

I will have the first bottle next weekend and surely let you know. Thanks for the advice so far.

Axel
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I would also say about 3 hours. It wouldn't hurt to leave a small amount in the decanter and retaste it the following day. Just to see what happens.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I'd be interested in the outcome of this. Although I don't have any 1992s I have a few full bottles of 1996 and would be interested to know how halves four years older were getting on. We did a half of 1987 in Birmingham earlier this year and it was fabulous. I double-decanted that in the morning and we sat down to drink it at about 9PM, probably 12 hours by then. 3 hours in the decanter sounds good to me.
Port is basically a red drink