half bottles of vintage port for novice?

Anything to do with Port.
novillero
Cheap Ruby

half bottles of vintage port for novice?

Post by novillero »

I was searching out the nearest liquor stores around my home to check out their inventories. One place had mostly cooking port, some basic rubies, basic tawnies, a 10 year old, and then I noticed a 375 ml of 2000 vintage port from one of the larger producers of port. To give you an idea about the type of store, they were all stored on a moveable wire rack/shelving unit in the middle of the store.

The first question I have is: would you trust buying a vintage port from a store like this that obviously not even close to catering to the port community? (this bottle was $40 for TF)

The second question, for a person trying to learn more about ports, why not the smaller bottles? They are cheaper, and there is less likely a chance of wasting money thru a bad bottle or (gasp) not finishing the bottle timely.
John M
Fonseca LBV

Re: half bottles of vintage port for novice?

Post by John M »

Half bottles: the consensus is that they tend to mature a faster than regular size bottles although two 1/2 bottles are more expensive than a regular bottle (and larger size formats also are often more expensive per 750 bottle, ounce, whatever unit of wine you use). I find 1/2 bottles great when its just me or with one other person--Wine Library has 2007 GC for $26/bottle in halves although they were on sale a while back for $18.88/bottle a couple months ago--they just got them in.

Provenance: Too many B&M stores have very nice vintage ports stored upright in non-climate controlled areas so caveat emptor. For newer, just released vintages, it is not so much a concern, but over 10 years and I get leery.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I would not buy that bottle of 2000. If you are just starting out, stick with aged tawny and LBV. LBV is close enough to vintage to get your feet wet. Your investment dollars should go to proper port glasses and a decanter. Have you considered buy port online? In and of itself, I don't think half bottles are a bad way to go, but full bottle with a 2nd person is a much better way to go. You'll really get to know a bottle if you drink it down in one sitting and half bottle is just half the experience in how port evolves as it's open.

Try one brand and work your way through their different styles like Taylor, Graham, Ferreira or Ramos Pinto.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Here you go--GC 2007 is on sale again...

http://cinderellawine.com/
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

mosesbotbol wrote:I would not buy that bottle of 2000.
I agree with this - i think it is likely to be a disappointment in its current phase
mosesbotbol wrote: Your investment dollars should go to proper port glasses...
I also agree strongly with this - the "Riedel Vinum" port glass or "Schott Zwiesel" are safe bets. They are expensive but you don't need more than a pair (to start with...)
mosesbotbol wrote:Your investment dollars should go to...a decanter.
I disagree with this, however - i don't think i can taste the difference between a port decanted into a $300 riedel decanter and a port decanted into a clean 1litre glass mineral water bottle.
mosesbotbol wrote: If you are just starting out, stick with aged tawny and LBV. LBV is close enough to vintage to get your feet wet.
I also disagree with this on two fronts: (i) i think the idea that you can't appreciate good VP as a "beginner" is bogus and (ii) many people i know haven't got properly excited about port until they have gone beyond the basic aged tawnies / supermarket LBVs. Indeed, many have been put off - particularly those who have a reasonable amount of experience with wine generally.
mosesbotbol wrote:Try one brand and work your way through their different styles like Taylor, Graham, Ferreira or Ramos Pinto.
I also diagree with this - I'd suggest getting hold of the Ramos Pinto / Sandeman / Ferreira 20 yr tawny as a real treat and good expression of the best of that category of port, looking out for an unfiltered Warre or Smith Woodhouse LBV from the 99 - 01 vintages and a mainstream filtered LBV (eg: Graham or Taylor) from the 2005-2007 period so that you have a contrast of the two LBV styles. If you are based in or around NY, also consider getting hold of a Quevedo LBV from G-man because those are great.

For vintage port, you may have to play a waiting game to get hold of something with a good amount of bottle age and the right provenance, but Vesuvio 96 is a VP that seems to have good availability in NY/NJ at a reasonable price, and - while still young - it will (i think) show the step up in quality and goes great with steak right now.
Rob C.
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Glassware: Instead of the Reidel (which are very nice and expensive but also break easily IMHO) why not just get a case of Marjorie Lumm's glasses for $2.75 a stem (#9909). With shipping the lot would be $130-$135. Then you'd have enough for your group to do proper tastings.
novillero
Cheap Ruby

Post by novillero »

I am going to be in Newark, NJ next week at a portuguese liquor store, so if I see a reasonably priced 375ml vintage, I'll snatch it up.

I recently had a novice tasting, where we focused on ruby reserves, then 10, 20 and a 1990 colheita. (I posted about it on another thread).

I was thinking for a next tasting --- in keeping with buying the demi-bottle, going the route of Vintage "substitutes" (my word), focusing on a couple LBVs, crusted and end with the demi of vintage.

As to glasses, I have a set of "port" glasses from when I got married 13 years ago... but these are tiny and don't fit the description of the standard glass. I've had to adjust to white wine glasses. I'll look into better stemware.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Good stemware is worth the investment. I have my stemware for drinking (Riedel Vinum is my preferred choice) and larger amounts of stemware for tastings (Marjorie Lumm equivalents).

I also like half bottles. I find a half bottle is a perfect amount for a leisurely evening or two of sipping of port. But I wouldn't buy a half of TF 2000 for current drinking, I would expect this to be in its closed phase at the moment. I'm finding halves from 1991 or older are drinking well at the moment.

And I like your theme for the next tasting :)
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

John M wrote:Glassware: Instead of the Reidel (which are very nice and expensive but also break easily IMHO) why not just get a case of Marjorie Lumm's glasses for $2.75 a stem (#9909). With shipping the lot would be $130-$135. Then you'd have enough for your group to do proper tastings.
I have 2 cases of these (72 total glasses), and while they are perfectly acceptable for large tastings they're not great glasses for everyday use. I think it's worth it to acquire a few nicer glasses for your own use at home.

My favorite Port glass is the Riedel Vinum. I had 6 but managed to break 1, but that wasn't the Riedel's fault. (I was drying the interior using 2 fingers and a cloth, and well I apparently have fat fingers. I popped the bowl from the inside.) I also have several of the Alvaro Siza-designed IVDP Port glasses, as well as a handful of souvenir glasses from various lodges. The Vinums easily get the most use.

Re: the original question. Half bottles are a great idea for exploring the world of Port, but as others have already said the 2000s are probably in their dumb phase right now. If you can find some, get half bottles from the 1980s through maybe as late as 1994.
Glenn Elliott