buying a holding of port

Anything to do with Port.
mikemike39
Cruz Ruby

buying a holding of port

Post by mikemike39 »

Over the years I've bought (and drunk!) a few cases of port at auction - most recently at Sotheby's last year, as well as from merchants.

Of course you can only buy at auction what has been listed for sale!

I wondered whether you can buy direct from the shippers (Taylor's, Fonseca etc) - is this something they do, I'd imagine they keep stocks in their cellars?

Ideally I'd buy a few cases and store them before drinking.

Anyone know anything about this, I'd be grateful - like whether they do this ever, sometimes etc - how you go about it, what the minimum amount they sell is (I guessed 10 cases - but could be miles out) - also can you buy a batch of older port (1970,75,77 etc) this way, or only the most recent vintages?

Cheers Mike
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: buying a holding of port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Ironically enough, while it is possible to buy direct from the big producers you tend to get better prices buying in the UK from a wine merchant (eg. Seckford Wines) than you do buying at Portuguese cellar door prices. Additionally, if you want to buy direct but have things shipped to the UK you will be politely referred to the UK agent (Fells for the Symingtons and Metzendorf for Taylor Fladgate). Prices for ex-cellars releases of mature wine are almost always higher than if you buy at auction.

It is more successful to buy direct from some of the smaller producers. Quevedo will happily put a parcel of port (and wine) together for shipping to the UK (again through his UK agent). Others who post here might be able to suggest alternative producers.

But most of my port has come from auction or retail. Only about 10% is ex-cellars, late release.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

AHB wrote:Ironically enough, while it is possible to buy direct from the big producers you tend to get better prices buying in the UK from a wine merchant (eg. Seckford Wines) than you do buying at Portuguese cellar door prices. Additionally, if you want to buy direct but have things shipped to the UK you will be politely referred to the UK agent (Fells for the Symingtons and Metzendorf for Taylor Fladgate). Prices for ex-cellars releases of mature wine are almost always higher than if you buy at auction.

It is more successful to buy direct from some of the smaller producers. Quevedo will happily put a parcel of port (and wine) together for shipping to the UK (again through his UK agent). Others who post here might be able to suggest alternative producers.

But most of my port has come from auction or retail. Only about 10% is ex-cellars, late release.
I find this to be the case stateside also.

While my ex cellar ports may have the cachet of being ex cellars i'm paying almost a ~30-50% premium then when i pick it up auction/retail.

I have inquired too and the shipping houses as AHB mentioned will politely refer you to the US agents (premium port wines for symingtons and kobrand for taylor fladgate).
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

It is sometimes said that the most expensive place to buy a bottle of wine is the shop across the road from the vineyard where it was made.

All wine makers tend to have an elevated idea as to their product's worth, but in the port trade, the disconnect between release price and subsequent open market price has been particularly awkward. The gap has closed a little of late, but those who bought into the 2003 vintage at release and then sold at auction three years later, lost nearly half their investment - despite it being an excellent vintage..

Part of the reason is that production of vintage port in the sixties and seventies ran way ahead of consumption, demand at the time being driven by corporate investment, notably by British breweries. Vintage port production by the leading brands has dropped by up to 90% when comparing 1970 with 2007, and there are clear signs that the overhang of supply is now drying up.

If you want to buy vintage port as an investment, I would recommend targeting the 2000 vintage when sold in full cases at auction, but be sure to look up past sale results before bidding, to make sure you don't pay over the odds..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

I've been close to working with a producer to bring something over special, but it would follow the 3 tier process all the way to my local B&M. Nothing ever materialized because I did not push the topic, but I think if you know a producer and everyone is getting their cut, it shouldn't be an issue unless there's a contractual reason for the product not being imported.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

mosesbotbol wrote:I've been close to working with a producer to bring something over special, but it would follow the 3 tier process all the way to my local B&M. Nothing ever materialized because I did not push the topic, but I think if you know a producer and everyone is getting their cut, it shouldn't be an issue unless there's a contractual reason for the product not being imported.
that will always work ;-)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz