Recommendation for port purchase in/for New York

Anything to do with Port.
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Recommendation for port purchase in/for New York

Post by Zelandakh »

Hi All,
Those who were at the offline this time last year met my brother who maligns that lack of port available at sensible prices in the US of A. He's not had any since that tasting barring a dozen half bottles of Offley 1970 (which were a great price and remain one of our faves).

I'd like to get some delivered to his house for Christmas so he can enjoy a little tipple.

Does anyone have a suggested site or a specific tipple from a specific site? Total wine has a selection of ports available (including a "Taylor" port in a 3 litre bottle for less than £10!!!) but I don't know if that is a good selection or a good site. Shipping seems to be about $15 for half a dozen.

Can anyone steer me?

My thanks.
Z
Nick
-----
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: Recommendation for port purchase in/for New York

Post by Andy Velebil »

Be very careful.....There are two "Taylor" Ports in the USA. "Taylor" is a cheap jug type fortified wine that has been made here for ever. They hold the rights to sell under the Taylor name. Taylor (from Oporto, that we know and love) is sold under the "Taylor Fladgate" name in the States. Don't confuse the two or your brother will be real unhappy with you.

Total Wine is a decent large chain store with sometimes good prices. The biggest issue is if they can deliver to the state he lives in (I don't know). Our alcohol shipping laws vary greatly from state to state (and even within specific counties in those states). But Total Wines will tell you if they can or can't ship to him.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Zelandakh wrote:Hi All,
Those who were at the offline this time last year met my brother who maligns that lack of port available at sensible prices in the US of A. He's not had any since that tasting barring a dozen half bottles of Offley 1970 (which were a great price and remain one of our faves).

I'd like to get some delivered to his house for Christmas so he can enjoy a little tipple.

Does anyone have a suggested site or a specific tipple from a specific site? Total wine has a selection of ports available (including a "Taylor" port in a 3 litre bottle for less than £10!!!) but I don't know if that is a good selection or a good site. Shipping seems to be about $15 for half a dozen.

Can anyone steer me?

My thanks.
Z
Would you/your brother be interested in the Quevedo?

I'm the distro here in NY now for them.

Got the LBV 2006, the Special reserve tawny, white port and the 1996 Colheita for sale here I can ask the retailer to probably give you a discount.

and as Andy mentioned that Taylor is a defunct New York company based up in the finger lakes whose label has been bought by someone I can't remember.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

@G-man - if you like it, I'm sure he will. Can you PM me some prices / options please?
@Andy - he's in New Jersey.

total wines have a few that look drinkable inc some names I know plus one that might go down well as a little in joke.

Thanks for the responses guys, feeling that I may now be able to get him something nice for Christmas.
Nick
-----
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

g-man wrote:
Zelandakh wrote:Hi All,

Can anyone steer me?

My thanks.
Z
Would you/your brother be interested in the Quevedo?

I'm the distro here in NY now for them.

Got the LBV 2006, the Special reserve tawny, white port and the 1996 Colheita for sale here I can ask the retailer to probably give you a discount.

and as Andy mentioned that Taylor is a defunct New York company based up in the finger lakes whose label has been bought by someone I can't remember.
acutally if you goto www.varietal.us search for quevedo.
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

I am in New Jersey and know most of the better stores in the area--if you need some help--please let me know or PM me.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

John M wrote:I am in New Jersey and know most of the better stores in the area--if you need some help--please let me know or PM me.
joisey laws regarding distributorship are quite ... what's the word "pain in the ass" when it comes to getting the licenses required.

I'd need to sell north of 250k in dollar terms before I could consider it unfortunately =(
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

G-Man: Not trying to steal your thunder--just trying to be helpful to Zelandakh since his brother is in NJ.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

John M wrote:G-Man: Not trying to steal your thunder--just trying to be helpful to Zelandakh since his brother is in NJ.
ooh good point

there's a large portugese neighborhood in Newark and a section of jersey city that carries some local varieties.

http://lisbonliquors.com/shop/index.php ... contact_us
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

The best port shop I ever found in my time in New Jersey was the Wine Library in Springfield. I presume they still do online sales and may well deliver within the State - might be worth dropping them an email. A quick google should find them.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

The Wine Library is a great place to visit.

Also, Short Hills Wine--their store is not much, but some of their by the case orders are pretty good. http://www.shorthillswine.com/

Lastly. Lisbon Liquors (G-Man cites above) has a good selection.

There are others, and depending on geography could cite them to you--but you've probably got enough info already.
novillero
Cheap Ruby

Post by novillero »

I've been going through some old threads, and hence reviving this one. I live in NJ, USA and since several in this thread have already commented on locations to buy port in the state... I was looking for more suggestions. I live in central, NJ, but am often traveling to the northern sections of the state. I know the Wine Library in Springfield, and Lisbon Liquors in Newark. Any other stores with decent selections?
John M
Fonseca LBV

Post by John M »

Gary's Wine in Wayne or Bernardsville
Wine Store in Franklin Lakes (forget the name)...not the best prices but has a walk in "cellar" with many fine bottles--you'll pay serious retail but at least the provenance looks far better than most
Bottle King (they have numerous stores) is good for new stuff (Avoid the older, nothing stored properly)
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

There's no shortage of good port wine stores in person or online in NY-NJ area. Shouldn't be hard to find convincing deals.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
novillero
Cheap Ruby

Post by novillero »

Oporto Liquors further down on Ferry Street from Lisbon has a pretty decent selection.

Lisbon Liquors has anything over a reserve locked up in the back (with a couple LBV excepted).
Zelandakh
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Zelandakh »

Well I bought and forgot to report back...

Gave him a decent spread including a 10, 20 and 30yo tawny (different houses), an LBV and a couple of vintages. the vintage were younger than I wanted to get and I left strict instructions that they must be left untouched until mature in X years time. Apparently they were lovely he reported.

Ho hum - he never was one for waiting.
Nick
-----