Warres 1995 LBV. A simultaneous tasting?

Anything to do with Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

You probably know the time differential better than me, is it 5 hours?
But read the posts earlier about the same subject and Todd. If we kicked off at 9ish, you guys would be late afternoon. Would that not work?

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Work would make us late, but would that really matter?

Post by jdaw1 »

Work would make us late, but would that really matter?
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

So I take it I don't have to decant this thing now then. OK.
Port is basically a red drink
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

We need to arrange this soon. I now have 1 bottle left [after the one I am drinking now] and my others have been sent off to boarding school to grow up before returning home.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Crikey, for a moment I thought you'd killed the lot. Well done, I know how difficult it is for you.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'll say again...ready when you are. I thought we were going for as many as possible, but I suppose we could just do the 'Sod it' approach to life!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I need to visit my stash before the 1 Sep bash to retrieve a couple of Fonseca's so can liberate a 6 pack of WLBV95 then. So, at this point in time I have to last about 2 weeks with only 1 bottle and confine myself to drinking it on a Thursday when you guys get your arse in gear to be there with me :?

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Oops, we drank ours the 26th of July.... We didn't have internet access on holiday so weren't able to see the altered plan of postponing the tasting. Sorry! I'll try to source another bottle and hopefully will be able to participate anyway.
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

And I FINALLY found a bottle of this... at the most unlikely of places as well... not a shop renown for Port selections.

Okay, I'm primed. Ready to roll on your 'go' Captain! :cool:

Todd
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Are newbie’s allowed to join in?

I am now the proud owner of 5 bottles of this particular port thanks to a recent supermarket clearance. I think I could learn quite a bit from this experience.
Vintage Shmintage.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Off course you are - we are an all inclusive bunch of nutters here and anyone is welcome to be a nutter with us :wink:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Speaking of which, if this doesn't happen in the next few days, which doesn't appear practical, it'll have to wait until after the Off-Line.

Sideways,

Its a bit late in the day, but have you read the story of that Off-Line? Its an impressive Fonseca Vertical, and there's room for one more. It started off as a general invitation to Forumistas, but its narrowed down to 6 at my house. There's currently 5 attendees. The cost is divisable by the attendees, which would mean the 6th person would have to commit to around £100. The down side, (For me), is that you reduce my share by a 6th! :D
But it would fill up the chairs on the Patio.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Great idea, Alan 88)

I hope you can make it along Graham, the more the merrier and it will slightly reduce jdaws stress about the volume of port allocated to each person and his misguided fear of potential wastage :lol:

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Misguided, c’est moi.

Post by jdaw1 »

Derek T. wrote:his misguided fear
Misguided, c’est moi.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Conky wrote:Speaking of which, if this doesn't happen in the next few days, which doesn't appear practical, it'll have to wait until after the Off-Line.

Sideways,

Its a bit late in the day, but have you read the story of that Off-Line? Its an impressive Fonseca Vertical, and there's room for one more. It started off as a general invitation to Forumistas, but its narrowed down to 6 at my house. There's currently 5 attendees. The cost is divisable by the attendees, which would mean the 6th person would have to commit to around £100. The down side, (For me), is that you reduce my share by a 6th! :D
But it would fill up the chairs on the Patio.

Alan
That’s very kind of you to offer Alan, I am at a wedding on the 1st Sep therefore I would not be free to attend. Even if I were free, I feel I am one or two offlines away from having the confidence to attend, its not that I fear I would ‘get in the way’, I’m sure I would enjoy it and everyone would be welcoming but I would prefer it if I was able to contribute something to the evening in the way of personal experience and opinion. This will come in time and taking part in the simultaneous tasting will help.

I am planning to open a bottle of the Warre LBV ’92 tomorrow evening, in almost ten years of writing tasting notes for wine I can’t recall ever writing one for port! I will dig out my WSET course-work for some pointers.
Vintage Shmintage.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

First-timers

Post by jdaw1 »

Sideways wrote:Even if I were free, I feel I am one or two offlines away from having the confidence to attend, its not that I fear I would ‘get in the way’, I’m sure I would enjoy it and everyone would be welcoming but I would prefer it if I was able to contribute something to the evening in the way of personal experience and opinion.
Nonsense. There were two first-timers at my Cockburn vertical. Come. Taste. Enjoy. Speak your mind — everyone else will.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: First-timers

Post by Sideways »

jdaw1 wrote:
Sideways wrote:Even if I were free, I feel I am one or two offlines away from having the confidence to attend, its not that I fear I would ‘get in the way’, I’m sure I would enjoy it and everyone would be welcoming but I would prefer it if I was able to contribute something to the evening in the way of personal experience and opinion.
Nonsense. There were two first-timers at my Cockburn vertical. Come. Taste. Enjoy. Speak your mind — everyone else will.
Err… and this picture is supposed to encourage me!?! :D :wink: :D

I can imagine…
‘….I was happily sniffing away when suddenly, from out of nowhere came a sneeze, quickly followed by the involuntary spasm of my left leg kicking out at the table with just enough force to displace everyone’s glass’s, making it impossible to deduce what went where on the card and what’s in the glass…… I’ll get my coat.’

Maybe you are right jdaw1, unfortunately the stars are aliened and I will be unable to attend on this occasion.
Vintage Shmintage.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To be fair though. This one's Not Dinner Jackets, is not organised by Julian, (Although he is a welcome guest), and involves fry ups and beer!

Have a look at Derek fast asleep on my patio (in the Off-Line Thread), and tell me you couldn't rise to that standard!!!

I do understand previous commitments though.

Alan