2012 Harvest news

Anything to do with Port.
christopherpfaff
Warre’s Warrior

Re: 2012 Harvest news

Post by christopherpfaff »

It would be a big surprise for me, if the two big producers for Vintage Port will declare both as classic years.

but I think that much of the smaller producers (when we speak about the quantity of their average vintage production) maybe declare both.
"An one litre bottle [of port] is the right size for two persons, if one person doesn´t drink." - Dirk Niepoort
--------
http://www.passion-port.de
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Taylor have at last produced a vintage report for 2012:

http://www.taylor.pt/en/news/port-harvest-2012-2/

However, along with David's interview, there is no clear message regarding their declaration intentions, which suggests that they really haven't decided yet.

Elsewhere, I have been reliably informed that Niepoort and the Symington brands are readying for a 2011 declaration, with or without the TFP brands.

Very little information emanates from Noval these days, and I have no idea what their plans are...

..anyone know?
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I believe 2011 will be a general declaration. Far too many growers were exceedingly excited about the season and its prospects for it to not be generally declared. I think that comparisons to 1991/1992 are inaccurate because, as I have been led to believe, 1991 was merely "declarable" and not "classic" which is why TFP was more than happy to hold off for the marginally better (for them) 1992. I see no similar pattern in 2011/2012. The excitement about 2011 leads me to believe it is a classic year, while the promise of 2012 is much more limited and sounds very much like superb SQVP year to me.

I also don't see TFP's 2009 declarations as a problem. Welcome to the modern world of Port declarations. With so many small producers now able and willing to declare as often as they want, I think there will be less and less adherance to the 3/decade rule of thumb as we move forward. 07/09/11 declarations will become more and more commonplace as time goes on.

We may ultimately decide that the SQVPs (or VPs, or whatever) that are released in 2012 are equal or better than the VPs released in 2011, but I suspect that it will be due to the much more limited releases.
Glenn Elliott
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Glenn E. wrote:07/09/11 declarations will become more and more commonplace as time goes on.
But not, a la Noval in 03/04 (and nearly 05) or 07/08, in consecutive years? (although, like Vesuvio, i suppose it is "only" an SQVP so can get away with it!).

With TFP, it seems to me that, for two of their three top brands, it is simply a matter of emphasis. Is there much difference between a Fonseca classic and a Fonseca Guimaraens (apart from what they call it depending on the potential they think it has)? Likewise with Croft and Croft Roeda? Or even Delaforce and Corte?
Rob C.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Shippers have claimed that each declaration is judged, standalone, on the quality of the juice. The statistical evidence against this is strong (given here). But that claim might become true, at least partly for the reasons Glenn gives.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

RAYC wrote:
Glenn E. wrote:07/09/11 declarations will become more and more commonplace as time goes on.
But not, a la Noval in 03/04 (and nearly 05) or 07/08, in consecutive years? (although, like Vesuvio, i suppose it is "only" an SQVP so can get away with it!).

With TFP, it seems to me that, for two of their three top brands, it is simply a matter of emphasis. Is there much difference between a Fonseca classic and a Fonseca Guimaraens (apart from what they call it depending on the potential they think it has)? Likewise with Croft and Croft Roeda? Or even Delaforce and Corte?

I have yet to try a Guimaraeans that tops the Fonseca 70 ;-)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

g-man wrote:I have yet to try a Guimaraeans that tops the Fonseca 70 ;-)
What proportion of full-declaration Fonsecas top the Guimaraeans ’76?
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

g-man wrote:
RAYC wrote:

I have yet to try a Guimaraeans that tops the Fonseca 70 ;-)
My point being, up until samples are submitted to IVDP, is there anything to stop a batch of VP being labelled either as "Fonseca" or "Fonseca Guimaraens", or likewise as "Croft" or "Croft Quinta da Roeda" / "Delaforce" or "Delaforce Quinta da Corte"?

Whereas presumably the Symingtons have to decide at an earlier point whether the Q. dos Malvedos or Bomfim juice will either (i) be blended with that of other Quintas for the classic Graham/Dow/Warre VP or (ii) held back for SQVP?
Rob C.
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

jdaw1 wrote:
Depends on whether you ask DRT or AHB!
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Depends on whether you ask DRT or AHB!
No full-declaration Fonseca that I have tasted has quite the braga-esque quality of the Guimaraens 1976. My preference is for Port that changes colour naturally as it evolves. Others are welcome to disagree :wink:

Perhaps a tasting of F76, SW77 & D80 v D85, F85 & T85 would demonstrate the point?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Paul Symington wrote:In the old days my father and uncles would have been making very sweet Ports with very little colour because they would have had to run off the lagares when the fermentation temperatures got too high.
Was re-reading this thread in search of information about the 2011 declaration, and came upon this nugget of information.

Thanks Paul for sharing and to the entire Symington family for being incredibly generous with their time, knowledge, and wines! It is an incredible asset of TPF to have such warm relationships with our port heroes.

I have been to Porto several times, but have not yet made it to the vineyards :crying:

I look forward to checking out these cooling machines when I finally stop by! 88)
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

BFT 2014 Catalogue wrote:11. Dow’s Senhora da Ribeira 2012

12. Quinta do Vesuvio 2012
The only 2012 declarations revealed by this release of the BFT’s catalogue.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
BFT 2014 Catalogue wrote:11. Dow’s Senhora da Ribeira 2012

12. Quinta do Vesuvio 2012
The only 2012 declarations revealed by this release of the BFT’s catalogue.
Please start a 2012 declaration thread.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Please start a 2012 declaration thread.
Done.