A TPF tasting panel?

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

A TPF tasting panel?

Post by uncle tom »

This is an opening shot.

Port producers provide samples for journalists as a matter of routine when a new vintage is declared, but they then have to suffer the indignity of self important writers passing loose judgement on their wares - who often have little knowledge of the product, and may have been corrupted by the largesse of another producer...

In additiiton, even the most respected critics have the dilemma that theirs is only one opinion...

To my mind, the collective opinion of a group of port enthusiasts, tasting wines in an entirely objective and disciplined manner, without knowledge of the previous reputation of the producer - would present one of the fairest assessments of a newly released wine.

Who would be interested in participating - not only in the drinking, but also the mailing of producers, receiving and preparing the wines, and documenting and publishing the results?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I can't say many journalist are receiving samples. I'd say many are attending events with many ports opened the same day.

For the pannel, I guess you are looking for people in mainly based in England :cry:

I like the idea though so if you need help getting in contact with some houses and producers, let me know and if I can do something I'll be glad to help.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Count me in, if it can be done from New York

Post by jdaw1 »

Count me in, if it can be done—at least in part—from New York.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I think this is a very interesting idea. I tried to organise something with BB&R to allow UK based FTLOPers to taste the 2003 vintage samples that they had received but there was not enough support at the time.

I'm certainly interested and willing to pitch in and help.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I would certainly be interested.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I'd turn up for the opening of a window so let me in.
Port is basically a red drink
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

I would be able to commit some time to this
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I think you will need a yanks point of view....for that I volunteer my palate :P
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Definitely

Post by Axel P »

I got some good contacts to the port business and Im very happy to help organizing (and participating) if it fits in.

Axel
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I suppose I'll buck the trend, and say it's a great idea, but I dont like really young Ports!
I don't suppose anyone would want an opinion on a Fonseca 48, or a Martinez 27, but if they do, I'm available. :roll: :roll: :roll:

:D Alan :D
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

With the help of a toothbrush to periodically de-coke my teeth, and a standby glass of water to flush the system from time to time, I would regard a horizontal tasting of new wines to be an interesting exercise.

However, I would not contemplate buying young bottles for that purpose.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill