Quality whites?

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Quality whites?

Post by uncle tom »

White port has few fans (other than the lodges that seem to be obsessed with plying visitors with it..!)

But it can be argued that the wines don't get a chance to shine - the wines in the market place are pretty much on a par with the Reserves in terms of price, and appear to have spent little time in wood.

Does anyone produce long aged whites any more, or vintage dated whites?

As an aside, I have no idea how these wines evolve once bottled - anyone ever pop a very old bottle?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've had a number of decent cheap whites and although some were not good IMO, they all seem to get lumped together as being bad. Lagrima's are quite enjoyable to me in small amounts when very chilled on a warm day. Dry whites don't really excite me overall, but that is just my palate preference. The Niepoort Dry White is one exception. Although I do love dry white port with tonic and fresh mint leaves.

As for older aged whites, I've now had 3 out of 4 old white colheita's that I know to exist, and I'm sure there are more somewhere.

1935 Barros
1952 Dalva (also labeled under the "Presidential" name)
1964 Krohn Branco

The one I havn't had is the Niepoort, I believe it is a 1917.

I have loved these old white colheita's, they have aged quite well, and were worth every penny. If you have the chance pick one up and give it a go.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Interesting timing of this post. I went into a new branch of Laithwaites that opened up close to where I live and was browsing through their stock of ports when I came across this:
Andresen 10 Year Old White Port NV

Unique and delicious! Hand-harvested, carefully aged discovery - the first of its kind from Andresen

Order your wine
12 bottles, £129.95 (£10.83 a bottle)

Andresen is one of the last remaining family-owned and run Port Wine Houses. A dedication to quality remains at their heart and it’s this dedication that has led to an entirely new Port category!

Andresen 10-Year-Old White Port is one of a kind! White port is traditionally drunk in its youth, whilst light and fruity. However, Andresen realised that the high quality white grapes, from their solely A-rated vines, were capable of so much more â€‟ so they began to experiment…

Chief winemaker and former Head of Tasting at the Port Wine Institute, Alvaro Van Zellar, is delighted by the result and you can be sure that if it is up to his exacting standards… it’s a discovery NOT to be missed!

Golden with attractive aromas of dates, hints of honey and orange blossom, and delicate old port woodnotes. The palate is smooth and inviting with lots of dried fruit flavours. The wine is sweet, nutty and deliciously moreish!

Chilled, this is a truly outstanding aperitif. Equally delicious with fois gras, crème brulee and more…
(from their website at http://www.laithwaites.co.uk).

This is the first time that I have ever seen white port with an indication of age and from what the shop manager said, it is selling very well at the moment.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Very interesting - and first time I've seen Andresen products offered in the UK.

Looks like they don't do less than a case of 12 - any takers for sharing a box - 3 or 4 bottles each perhaps?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Opps :oops: I forgot one.

Vista Alegre Old White Port. This was aged in cask approximately 25 years. I must say an excellant old white port and if you can get your hands on a bottle or two Tom, grab them.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

You can get them by the single bottle from the retail outlets that they have in some places around the country.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Laithwaites have sold Andresen ports for many years. I have had the LBV and, I think, a vintage from them in the past. I would share a case but wouldn't want more than 2 or 3 bottles.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn