Wine storage/coolers

Anything to do with Port.
Rubby
Fonseca LBV

Wine storage/coolers

Post by Rubby »

Okay, here's my first question as a new member of the Forum;
since I have no cellar or storage space with a guaranteed constant temperature (not even one family member or friend with a cellar), I'm planning on buying a wine cooler.
I don't know if it's the proper English term for it, but I mean a refridgerator for wine. :oops:

Any pointers/recommendations?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Buy one that is at least 100% bigger than you think you'll use. So, if you're planning on getting a 200 bottle one because that is how many bottles you think you'll aquire, buy the 400 bottle cooler. Trust me, they fill up a lot faster than you think.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

From an economic standpoint, you'll be better off buying as you need, rather than funding a cooler - but it IS nice to have a stock of bottles...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Coolers are an expensive way to go but if you are like me and want to keep your loved ones at home then its the only way to go.

I agree with ADV, buy more than you think you need. I have 2 coolers :roll:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
John Danza
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by John Danza »

I have two coolers as well, because the bottle count just keeps on growing.

From an economic standpoint, I would recommend the models that you put together yourself. They're fairly easy if you enlist a friend's help, and they're much more economical. The one I have seals great and keeps a pretty consistent temperature and humidity, and the pricing is great compared to the others, both raw cost and shipping cost. I'm assuming these are available in the EU and not just in the US.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

If you have an extra room or closet, you can buy a contained room cooler for wine room purposes. It does not have to exhaust outside either. You could also frame a room within a current room and cooling unit. I have seen people do it under stairs or just cutting off a wall in a living room and framing the inside walls in glass.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I bought my cooler second hand about 12 years ago and its still going strong. I had a good look round it before I bought it and checked the seals, temperature, heat exchanger etc. but saved myself about 50% of the cost even after hiring a van to move it to my home.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

I would recommend to have a look at Liebherr WK 5700. Reasonable price ( about 1200 EUR) and does not need much electricity (255 kw/year). For 231 bottles. I am happy with this one.

Cheers
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port