Christmas port

Anything to do with Port.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Christmas port

Post by RAYC »

What are people planning for Christmas?

I have my eye on an Offley 70 for Xmas eve, and my Xmas day port is likely to be a Graham 83 or Fonseca 85 (for something a bit more robust!).
Rob C.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Re: Christmas port

Post by smisse »

RAYC wrote:What are people planning for Christmas?

I have my eye on an Offley 70 for Xmas eve, and my Xmas day port is likely to be a Graham 83 or Fonseca 85 (for something a bit more robust!).
I have the Fonseca 85 and Niepoort 85 lined up. I hope to be lucky again with the Niepoort 85.

For "normal" wine we'll have a Châteauneuf-du-Pape, Olivier Hillaire 2001.
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

Taylors '77 for Christmas itself, and possibly a Grahams '94 if I feel like something else in the runup to new year (which I probably will :D ).
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

richmills wrote:Taylors '77 for Christmas itself
Very nice - after being lucky enough to drink this a few times at tastings over the last few months, i was sorely tempted to open up my one bottle of it for Christmas...unfortunately my family are very reluctant port drinkers so i just can't quite justify it to myself!
Rob C.
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

A leaking Vesuvio 1997.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

A Taylor '70 (probably) and a 40-yr old (for sure). Possibly also a Churchill '85 or Graham '85 depending on how thirsty people are.

Can't decide which 40-yr old to open... I have Kopke, Noval, and Romaneira all on hand.
Glenn Elliott
Axel P

Post by Axel P »

I will open 75s this year. Just bought a case of Croft 75, but in larger groups I will open Graham and Dow 75s from a Magnum. Lovely, well matured nice ports.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
marc j.
Fonseca LBV

Post by marc j. »

I'm thinking about opening a 1963 Niepoort as well as a Churchill 20 Year Old.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

I have a Warre 66 which keeps calling to me from the cellar... it has been ever since I had been intending to bring it along to the "Star Quality" offline but was unable to attend at the last minute; I think that will probably be opened on Xmas Eve or Boxing day.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It's a point of mild frustration for me that because of the amount of driving I do over Christmas, I don't get many opportunities to drink alcohol. As a result, the two week period of Christmas and New Year will probably only see me open one half bottle of port - probably Cavadinha 1987 this year.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Christmas port

Post by Andy Velebil »

AHB wrote:will probably only see me open one half bottle of port - probably Cavadinha 1987 this year.
Have the same on my death row and this Xmas may be a good time for it to meet its demise.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hi,

at christmas I tend to always open a Grahams 1963 over the last couple of years. I am fairly sure this year will be no different. :D
My mother and sister loves this port so do I. Wines I am not sure yet; definitely some German Beerenauslese for after the Grahams and otherwise probably a Chave Hermitage Rouge 1994 which is drinking beautifully at the moment. Anyway Rhones 1994 have come round beautifully!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
clawhit
Warre’s Warrior

Post by clawhit »

Tonight for us is the Christmas Port night so up on the table are
55 Dow's
55 Taylor's
63 Dow's
66 Fonseca
70 Grahams
70 Taylors

The 63 Dow and 70 Taylors had just started to leak a tiny bit so it was rude not to add them in :wink:

Next week we will go for Cos d´Estournel 1986 and either an 83 Graham's or 77 Fonseca
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Might be a fonseca 66 to ring in little g-man as my xmas gift ;-)
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:Might be a fonseca 66 to ring in little g-man as my xmas gift ;-)
We are anxiously awaiting news from you -- keep TPF posted :)
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

SushiNorth wrote:
g-man wrote:Might be a fonseca 66 to ring in little g-man as my xmas gift ;-)
We are anxiously awaiting news from you -- keep TPF posted :)
You appear to have missed the good news :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

clawhit wrote:Tonight for us is the Christmas Port night so up on the table are
55 Dow's
55 Taylor's
63 Dow's
66 Fonseca
70 Grahams
70 Taylors

The 63 Dow and 70 Taylors had just started to leak a tiny bit so it was rude not to add them in :wink:

Next week we will go for Cos d´Estournel 1986 and either an 83 Graham's or 77 Fonseca
What a wonderful line up of port. Hope you enjoyed them all.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

PhilW wrote:
I have a Warre 66 which keeps calling to me from the cellar... it has been ever since I had been intending to bring it along to the "Star Quality" offline but was unable to attend at the last minute; I think that will probably be opened on Xmas Eve or Boxing day.
Sadly the Warre 66 was a buggered bottle - very like the T77 at the October matrix - decanted last night and thought it was dodgy; confirm this morning as suitable for cleaning sinks :(
Fortunately the Grahams 85 (just decanted as replacement) seems superb :)
RAYC

Post by RAYC »

PhilW wrote:
PhilW wrote:
Sadly the Warre 66 was a buggered bottle - very like the T77 at the October matrix - decanted last night and thought it was dodgy; confirm this morning as suitable for cleaning sinks :(
Fortunately the Grahams 85 (just decanted as replacement) seems superb :)
oh dear - still, a good replacement you had on hand.

My Christmas port ended up as an Offley 70 as i had a look back through the TNs and decided the G83 might be a good one for a tasting soon. Unfortunately the O70 smelt of dishwater, and was little better in the mouth. A Graham Crusted 2003 was opened and proved to be a very fine reserve. But nothing over Christmas could compete with an extremely impressive 2001 Bdx (pomerol) that my father provided for the lunch.
Rob C.
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

RAYC wrote:
PhilW wrote: My Christmas port ended up as an Offley 70 as i had a look back through the TNs and decided the G83 might be a good one for a tasting soon. Unfortunately the O70 smelt of dishwater, and was little better in the mouth.
Sounds as unlucky as my W66 - especially as we had the O70 a couple of times recently with it showing very well (which is why it is near the top of my future purchase wish-list). The pomerol sounds very good.

My bad W66 was a retail purchase, so I let the supplier know (just in case many from the case were bad to help with any future buying decisions) and he generously offered to replace it, so hopefully I'll end up with a nice W66 after all.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

My T70 was not as bad as any of the above, but underperformed. I normally expect the T70 to be outstanding - which for me means 94-96 points - while this one was "merely" excellent. I gave it a 92, mostly due to heat beyond what I consider acceptable but not yet to the point of being obnoxious.

Strangely, this particular bottle of T70 exhibited very few "Taylor" cues. I did note a peppery taste but attributed that to the alcohol/heat and not to Vargellas. There was also none of the Christmas spice that I normally find in Taylors.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Chanukah port (as served at the dec 25 Chanukah party) was Gould Campbell 1980. I'm starting to think these are too young, and may need to put the 8 remaining bottles further back in the racks to prevent them from being drunk. They are quite good, however.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope