Re-design the guarantee strip..?

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re-design the guarantee strip..?

Post by uncle tom »

Old British bottlings had nice embossed wax capsules, that usually afforded a very good seal.

The Oporto bottlings have always been slightly compromised by the need for that guarantee strip - when waxed over it tends to be messy, when foiled, the strip spoils the seal, and can act as a wick for seepage.

When the strip is placed over the top of the capsule, it becomes very vulnerable to being torn.

Does the strip achieve anything?

The guarantee strip could very easily be forged, and there is no simple way for consumers to check the numbers - it does not present a serious obstacle to the would-be counterfeiter.

Embossed wax or custom made foils are much more difficult to replicate.

So I would say abandon the practice of putting strips over the top of the bottle, and incorporate the IVDP logo and security information into the back label instead.

Result: Neater bottles with better seals, and no loss of security.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

This has already happened for douro wines so it's only a matter of time before it happens to port, which will sadden me deeply as you know because I want to live in a world where port is as odd as the people who drink it. :smile:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

The only positive aspect that the seal brings in my opinion is that Port and Douro bottles are easily spotted on the shelves when you see the seals.

When you have drink one Cruz, you know that the seal is not a garantee of quality or something like that :lol: