Quevedo VP availability

Anything to do with Port.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Quevedo VP availability

Post by PhilW »

Does anyone know of a UK source for Quevedo VP? As someone who only buys small quantities I realise it's unlikely, but thought I'd ask just in case. Obviously it won't be ready for drinking for a long time, but I was reading a description of the Quevedo 2005 which sounded delicious and would be tempted to pick up a few bottles for the future.

Phil.
uncle tom

Re: Quevedo VP availability

Post by uncle tom »

If you're in no great hurry, I'll probably be shipping another pallet or two from Quevedo next year - remind me around March time..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:If you're in no great hurry, I'll probably be shipping another pallet or two from Quevedo next year - remind me around March time..

Tom
you ever consider getting into the wine export business? because us in the states can't even get a case of this stuff.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

you ever consider getting into the wine export business? because us in the states can't even get a case of this stuff.
Everyone tells me it's a nightmare dealing with US customs - so I havn't given it much thought..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

uncle tom wrote:
Everyone tells me it's a nightmare dealing with US customs - so I havn't given it much thought..

Tom
just label it as tea and I can be your import agent here in ny ;-)

quevedo is only carried by one state in the states and that's Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has a liquor control board which means if you're not in PA you can't buy the stuff.
Christian
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by Christian »

In case you guys make it to Porto, Quevedo has opened a very nice lodge in Gaia. It's well worth a visit. It's an old building, totally remodeled. It consists of two floors - whereby I have the feeling that nobody knows yet exactly what will be done with the ground floor, at least it didn't look finished in July... But the upper floor is a large,bright and beautiful room. Large tables invite to sample their ports, at very reasonable prices. I spent two afternoons there and felt very fine. Multi-lingual explanations about the different port styles are hanging on the walls, helping the tourists to understand what they are drinking. In the corner is a piano - and one of the afternoons there was live music. I think that Oscar is a great guy, with a lot of ideas - exactly what the port industry needs to revive itself... Who would think about putting a piano in this large tasting room? Most other companies would have put there an old wine barrel... I think it's a very brave move to start a new lodge in Gaia, in these difficult times, and I wish the Quevedos best luck with this new adventure!
So, my suggestion is: Don't ship the port to the USA. Forget about problems with customs etc. Just buy a flight ticket to Porto, visit Gaia, enjoy a few wines from Quevedos in their natural habitat and then buy a few cases and try to explain to the friendly people at the airport check-in why your suit-cases are so heavy...
:) "I believe I am responsible for 4% of the port wine consumption in my country..." :)
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

uncle tom wrote:If you're in no great hurry, I'll probably be shipping another pallet or two from Quevedo next year - remind me around March time..
Thanks Tom, am certainly in no hurry so if I can piggy back my small request that would likely be ideal - I love the scale though, I'm thinking about picking up a few bottles while you're ordering pallets :D

@Christian - I'd love to make a trip out to the Douro sometime, but that's a future plan for now. It would certainly provide a good opportunity to sample some interesting ports and pick up small quantities - How to choose where to visit would be an interesting but difficult choice I imagine, assuming a month long holiday is out of the question ;)

Phil.
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

I would recommend ordering some 2007 VP as well.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

g-man wrote:quevedo is only carried by one state in the states and that's Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has a liquor control board which means if you're not in PA you can't buy the stuff.
But PA is 20 mins from my wife's NJ residence; do we have any leads as to where in PA quevedo can be found?
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Wine Searcher has www.finewineandgoodspirits.com, which might be an affiliate organisation of PA liquor stores.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:Wine Searcher has www.finewineandgoodspirits.com, which might be an affiliate organisation of PA liquor stores.
It is indeed. Here's how it appears to work... Either we find QdQuevedo in a particular store, or we order it online and (for a small fee, unless we buy $200 or more) it is shipped to a PA store. That store could easily be in a convenient location like Allentown or New Hope.

That said, i made out like a bandit at tax-free NH's stores last week :) If only Quevedo shipped there...
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

SushiNorth wrote:
g-man wrote:quevedo is only carried by one state in the states and that's Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania has a liquor control board which means if you're not in PA you can't buy the stuff.
But PA is 20 mins from my wife's NJ residence; do we have any leads as to where in PA quevedo can be found?
yea i called them up

they have 6 bottles left in their inventory

if you order online they can have it shipped to wherever you want in a weeks notice.

you just have to drive over and pick it up.

i'll split 3 if you want the other 3? ;-)
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

Quevedo is available online in USA. I don't know anyone selling in North East. Did you want the 2007 Quevedo VP?

Someone should step up and start distributing around NYC/NJ and Boston. He'll get a lot of recognition and people will look, but someone who is first on the draw is going to make out. Great line up at great prices.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Quevedo is imported into the USA by PRGrisley.http://prgrisley.com/ I would suggest contacting them and I'm sure Michael Grisley could help arrange you buying some bottles.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Andy Velebil wrote:Quevedo is imported into the USA by PRGrisley.http://prgrisley.com/ I would suggest contacting them and I'm sure Michael Grisley could help arrange you buying some bottles.

he's not, he's licensed only in PA so they sell only through the PA liquor authority.

I also asked Oscar about it and it sounds like they just don't make enough to ship to the us market as he says >90% of the inventory is already spoken for.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

g-man wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Quevedo is imported into the USA by PRGrisley.http://prgrisley.com/ I would suggest contacting them and I'm sure Michael Grisley could help arrange you buying some bottles.

he's not, he's licensed only in PA so they sell only through the PA liquor authority.

I also asked Oscar about it and it sounds like they just don't make enough to ship to the us market as he says >90% of the inventory is already spoken for.
They are sold through another website and Flickinger also used to have some, but not sure if they do anymore.
marc j.
Fonseca LBV

Post by marc j. »

I don't think that Flickinger will be of much help. I tried that route a few months ago and found out that they order through Grisley and it seems that they are unable to obtain additional stock.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I've sent an email to Oscar and his importer here in the States to find out more info. Will report back when I hear.

And I'm down to my last bottle of Quevedo Colheita and would like to get more so I'll be looking to buy soon as well.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I heard from his importer in the USA. Here is what he stated (posted by permission)
"I apologize to all of you that Quevedo Port isn't available online, but hopefully you'll be able to purchase their items very soon. @ G-man, we are indeed licensed outside of Pennsylvania, we just haven't seen the response for the Quevedo items like we have in that state, so that is our main market for Quevedo. We sell a limited amount in Florida (Orlando area) and Michigan, but it's been quite difficult expanding Quevedo- hell, it took us two years after our first meeting with Oscar to even get the first (legal!) bottle on U.S. shores!

@ Mark J., I've contacted Flickingerwines.com to see if we can get more Quevedo items to their warehouse so they can then make them available to all of you enthusiasts. Some of you may remember last year when we launched a "For The Love Of Port" online exclusive for the Quevedo items through Flickingerwines.com. The event went really well initially, but then interest fell off, which is why they decided not to re-order any additional stock. However, I contacted them today about getting several Quevedo items back on their website for ordering, so hopefully within the next week I will know one way or another if this is a possibility.

That being said, we have the following items in our warehouse, so maybe if I can let Flickingerwines.com know what specific items all of you are interested in ordering, they might decide to reorder from us and get them up on their site. We currently have the Quevedo Rose Port, White Port, Special Reserve Tawny, Colheita '96 and Vintage 2007. Lastly, for all you Douro red wine drinkers, you can actually order "Oscar's Douro Red" online here (http://goo.gl/ZlfAF).

I'll let all of you know what develops with Flcikinger wines.com- thank you so much for your patience!"
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Thanks Andy,

Just as an FYI,

*I* am that buyer in Pennsylvania

Andy Velebil wrote:I heard from his importer in the USA. Here is what he stated (posted by permission)
"I apologize to all of you that Quevedo Port isn't available online, but hopefully you'll be able to purchase their items very soon. @ G-man, we are indeed licensed outside of Pennsylvania, we just haven't seen the response for the Quevedo items like we have in that state, so that is our main market for Quevedo. We sell a limited amount in Florida (Orlando area) and Michigan, but it's been quite difficult expanding Quevedo- hell, it took us two years after our first meeting with Oscar to even get the first (legal!) bottle on U.S. shores!

@ Mark J., I've contacted Flickingerwines.com to see if we can get more Quevedo items to their warehouse so they can then make them available to all of you enthusiasts. Some of you may remember last year when we launched a "For The Love Of Port" online exclusive for the Quevedo items through Flickingerwines.com. The event went really well initially, but then interest fell off, which is why they decided not to re-order any additional stock. However, I contacted them today about getting several Quevedo items back on their website for ordering, so hopefully within the next week I will know one way or another if this is a possibility.

That being said, we have the following items in our warehouse, so maybe if I can let Flickingerwines.com know what specific items all of you are interested in ordering, they might decide to reorder from us and get them up on their site. We currently have the Quevedo Rose Port, White Port, Special Reserve Tawny, Colheita '96 and Vintage 2007. Lastly, for all you Douro red wine drinkers, you can actually order "Oscar's Douro Red" online here (http://goo.gl/ZlfAF).

I'll let all of you know what develops with Flcikinger wines.com- thank you so much for your patience!"
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

g-man wrote:Thanks Andy,

Just as an FYI,

*I* am that buyer in Pennsylvania
88)
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

oh and I like to add that I prefer not to drive all the way to PA to buy quevedo esp since ny has so many fine stores int he area.

PA also doesn't ship out side of state!
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

news update:

I'm getting into the wine distro business in NY and will look to bring in Quevedo into the NY Market.

Details to follow.