Port Glasses Test

Anything to do with Port.
Tom
Cruz Ruby

Re: Port Glasses Test

Post by Tom »

anyone tried this, even if it´s not the classic port shape?

http://www.gabriel-glas.com/

He claims it would be good for any alcoholic beverage.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Only in restaurants and only for table wines. They've then seemed perfectly fine but I think you need quite a lot of wine in the glass to get the full funneling of the aromas because of their effectively flat bottoms. Are they very inexpensive? That seems to be the implication of the website.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Since starting to drink port regularly at the Bunghole (where we use their standard (white?) wine glasses), i must admit i have found myself beginning to prefer drinking from a glass with a much larger bowl than the Reidel Vinum Port or the S-Z, and when drinking at home have gradually found my own pair of Reidels (Vinum Port and Overture White) overlooked in favour of a standard white wine glass.

So when i noticed the size and shape of the new BBR port glass, i ordered a couple to see if they would fit the bill. First impressions are very good - i can see this becoming my go-to glass for home drinking.
Rob C.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

RAYC wrote:the new BBR port glass
Time to take one for the team :wink:

Will report back.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Will report back.
And?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
DRT wrote:Will report back.
And?
Forgot. Perhaps we will have the opportunity to test at the Port Walk.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by RAYC »

Neither of you were particularly impressed when i brought my pair of these glasses to the Bunghole one evening.

I quite like them - i still choose to use it in preference to the Schott Zweisel, Riedel Vinum White and Riedel Vinum Port as an everyday drinking glass (nice and robust in dishwasher), but the bowl / bulb is probably too shallow to be ideal.
Rob C.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I was aesthetically uninspired by the square notched stem on the Schott glass, and favoured the design of the Riedel, but my enthusiasm for the Riedel glass took a knock earlier this year when I was hand drying one, with reasonable care. Quite suddenly the stem of the glass snapped in two places and the broken end found itself deeply imbedded in my hand. Of port there was none, but of claret there was plenty..

Stem design aside, I quite like the lightweight nature of the Schott glass, and it is now my default glass for home drinking.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

I dislike the notched stem for a different reason. Port is sticky. The rim of the glass becomes sticky. So I want to use the whole rim, gradually turning the glass over time. The notch impedes that, even if gently.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

jdaw1 wrote:I dislike the notched stem for a different reason. Port is sticky. The rim of the glass becomes sticky. So I want to use the whole rim, gradually turning the glass over time. The notch impedes that, even if gently.
The notch has also been criticised by AHB. I thought of this last night as I drank from one. Actually, I like them. Holding the glass by the base, I place a finger in the notch and swirl. The bowl is quite fine and is a decent size. I can see why the square stem / notch would not be to everyone's liking but I'm in favour and would buy more (the price at the IVDP shop is very sensible, and that helps).
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...