Warre's Traditional LBV '92 & '95

Anything to do with Port.
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Warre's Traditional LBV '92 & '95

Post by Sideways »

Hi folks, newbie here :wink:

I popped down to Tesco at the weekend to see if I could benefit from their current wine revamp and pick up the odd bargain. In the port section I honed in on the Warre's and was delighted to find they had discontinued the Traditional LBV, it was reduced to £7.90

I made off with 3 bottles of the '92 and four of the '95, sadly there were no '94's to be seen.

I know the '92 has a good rep and the '94 is favourite but what are your thoughts on the '95? is this ready to drink now and how would you compare it to the other two?

Thanks
Graham.

-I will add my details to the 'Introduction' section shortly.
Vintage Shmintage.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Hi Graham,

Welcome to the Port Forum.

I must get down to Tesco's soon - a few of us here picked up a stack of the 95's from Asda a few months ago at £5 per bottle. It is interesting that 2 major supermarket chains have now discontinued this. I wonder if Sainsbury etc will follow?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

£5? wow, I thought I had found a bargain.

What are your thoughts on the '95?

I was wondering whether I should go back a mop-up the remaining few bottles before they disappear.
Vintage Shmintage.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I think this is an excellent LBV and at that price you can't go wrong in buying all you can. It is still very youthfull and will age and improve for many years to come.

Derek
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Both these prices are well below normal 'sale' prices, and the Asda price was almost certainly well below cost.

I think the supermarkets' well-oiled stock management systems have a problem with products that last for years - I can visualise a head office computer somewhere flashing a warning:

It's been in stock for three months - we must remainder it

No-one then thinks to query the wisdom of the machine...

- That's good by me!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I hope you're right, Tom. My local Tesco stocks Taylor's 1977 at £99 per bottle. I'm willing to bet they haven't sold any since it went on the shelf about 6 months ago. Hopefully the computer will kick in in December and I'll swipe the lot for £33 a bottle 88)
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

That's almost certainly ex. cellars stock too.

T77 is an odd one in the market - it's been repeatedly selling at auction for £55-£65/bottle, when you can get it retail for around £70...

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Sideways
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Sideways »

Derek T. wrote:I think this is an excellent LBV and at that price you can't go wrong in buying all you can. It is still very youthfull and will age and improve for many years to come.

Derek
Thanks, will do.
Vintage Shmintage.