Port Sippers?

Anything to do with Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Port Sippers?

Post by Conky »

I found another small curiousity about Port, to which I was completely unaware of.
Port Sippers.

This seems to fly against all modern thinking of being able to swirl the port around in a Tasting Glass to let the flavours breath. It does, more, go with the theory of the tiny port glass, I remember from my youth.

Has anyone tried such a glass? It apparently should be slightly warmed and clasped in the palm of the hand and engulfed.

Alan
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

I had a great uncle, now dead, that was blowing glass. He used to be making those sort of "Port pipe". It was mainly used for cognac back in the days.

I don't know where the influence source comes from but I know that Montreal's wine accessory merchant are selling those a lot, they are always back order.

It is indeed very fashionnable but totally useless if the pleasure of tasting is your point of interest.
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

My girlfriend got me a set last holiday, but I had her return them as they were too fragile & kitchy. I was afraid to even hold them they were so thin.

I mentioned them to Alex when he paid us a visit in Boston and thought I was joking when I described them... Well, those are them.

I did not test them.

For schnapps I could see how they would be a nice way to enjoy.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Moses - I take it all back. I did absolutely think you were winding me up when you described these glasses.

I'm just in shock that anyone would think of drinking their port from one of these.

Mind you, for a port 'n' tonic it might be a useful way to keep the ice off the end of your nose, but only if the glasses are big enough.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
SEAN C.
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by SEAN C. »

The biggest problem with those things is you could flick them with your fingernail and break them to pieces! They are paper thin!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This is the kind of thing my mother would buy me when she is on holiday. No. Not good.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re:

Post by KillerB »

DRT wrote:This is the kind of thing my mother would buy me when she is on holiday. No. Not good.

Derek
This is exactly the thing that my mother got for me for Christmas, and I can't wait to try them.

They are actually quite cute - they look like headless cats.
Port is basically a red drink
Axel P

Re: Port Sippers?

Post by Axel P »

Same here, my mom found them in a UK catalogue and I had them send to Alex.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Split into Headless Cats by admin 6 Jan 2009
ArgyleWineTools
Cruz Ruby

Post by ArgyleWineTools »

Hello fellow port lovers

just a quick note for your information...my company Argyle Wine Tools Pty Ltd is the patent holder and inventor of the Port Sipper. We invented it in the early 1970's, patented it and starting selling it. We were amazed by the interest that was shown immediately by the wine industry and retail industry in many countries, especially in Australia and the USA. In nearly 40 years we have manufactured more than 2 million port sippers and sold them into more than 50 countries that we are aware of.

Interestingly, after inventing the port sipper we discovered a long history of a somewhat similar item called a Schnapps Pfeiffe which was traditionally made of ceramic material.

The Argyle port sipper is made of hand-blown glass which is scientific glass, the same glass used to make test tubes. Despite its fragile appearance and feel, it is surprisingly strong and of course dishwasher proof. The only weak part of the item is its stem, so if it was dropped and landed on the bowl or legs it would remain intact 99 out of 100 times but if it landed on the stem it would most likely break.

After introducing the item to the market we found out that the vessel was not only a more comfortable way to sip port, other fortified's and liqueurs but by extracting the wine from the bottom of the glass one was drinking a less oxidised wine.

Argyle continues to make and sell the port sipper range of products in 2 packs, 4 packs and in a 4 pack with decanter set. please visit the argyle website to view the range including more than 30 other unique quality wine accessories made and sold by Argyle.

Thanks for letting me add to your forum.
Danny Simons
Managing Director
Argyle Wine Tools PL
mpij
Fonseca LBV

Post by mpij »

ArgyleWineTools wrote:Hello fellow port lovers

After introducing the item to the market we found out that the vessel was not only a more comfortable way to sip port, other fortified's and liqueurs but by extracting the wine from the bottom of the glass one was drinking a less oxidised wine.
Argyle Wine Tools PL
OK leaving aside any argument about desirability of o xidisation(isn't this why we let the stuff breathe?), surely if less oxidised at start of sipper the wine at the top having been in contact with the air for longer when you finally drink it will be more oxidised.
ArgyleWineTools
Cruz Ruby

...by the time one gets to the last part of the wine/port left in a port sipper, then yes, that wine would more or less be oxidised to the same degree it would have in a regular wine glass...but when one firsts pours and one first sips from a portipper the difference is quite noticeable. Numerous tests have been done to demonstrate this...by simply pouring the same port into a regular port glass and into a port sipper...taste the two and you will be quite surprised by the difference..
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

My first thought was to suggest you joined us for a tasting and we could test your theory 'scientifically', but seeing you are based in Australia makes that unlikely!

We could have much debate about the ideal ports to pair in a port sipper against a reidel for comparative purposes!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
ArgyleWineTools
Cruz Ruby

Hi Ben
there is no doubt that when we first invented this item it was purely a novelty and we had no idea that it would take off the way it has and last as long as it has. It was in fact the wineries who alerted us to the real merits of it as a port drinking vessel and the technical reasons why....for many years wineries all around the world chose to do all their cellar door tastings using our port sippers...wineries in Australia like Wolf Blass in the Barossa Valley, Wyndham Estate and many others in the Hunter Valley, Peter Van Gent in Mudgee and Prager Port Works in the Napa Valley. At one stage in the late 90's we were supplying more than 900 wineries world wide with our port sippers and with our other wine accessories....yet having said this, it has always been my thought that they are a novel and fun way to drink port, other fortified's and even some liqueurs...and after all...fun is what it should always be about...cheers
Antface
Cruz Ruby

Post by Antface »

I randomly came across this post when searching for the names of the rascals who maunfactured this dodgy product who arranged to supply the shop who flogged the useless article to my slightly daft but well meaning Mother who then gave it to me so now i have yet another piece of clutter to add to my little house which is full to the brim with junk. Now where is my REAL port glass? :o