2005 En primeur

Anything to do with Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I can confirm that the Martinez 1994 exists as I have had it and it is truly lovely, if a little on the young side. Bman, Stevie Cage and I had it at an off-line in London whilst England were piling on the runs against Australia. This was the same day that we were sieving Croft 1945 through our teeth.
Port is basically a red drink
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I have now established that BOTH Eira Velha and the Martinez blend WERE produced in 1994, 1997 & 2000. Before that, I am still uncertain.

What is odd is that I can find virtually no evidence of a 2003. There is just one dealer (in Denmark) listing the blend - but with a photo of the 2000, so it could be an error.

I looked up their website (which has a rather nice intro - http://www.martinez.pt) and there is also no mention of a 2003 for either the Blend or Eira Velha

Anyone come across them?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Tom,
according to a german website, Quinta da Eira Velha was also produced in 1992.

Does anyone know anything about da Eira Velha 1992?

Did not find anything about 2003 excepting the danish website you mentioned. Interesting prices for the Martinez 1985 and 1987 imo. Anyone planing a trip to Kopenhagen and visiting Germany after this? Hey, it's bally beautiful here! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Just now found some TNs about Martinez VP and da Eira Velha VP here http://www.wine-pages.com/forum/tnotes/fortif02.htm Notes are from 2002.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Interesting. As you'd expect the VP got better write ups.

My sentimental favourite, the 85 got another thumbs up as well. I'm looking forward to being re-aquainted with this one, when Alex brings me 4 bottles up in September. :D
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

That fits with my records to date - Martinez declared 1991 as a blend, but called 1992 for Eira Velha - very much in line with the Symington houses, and in keeping with the widely practised routine of declaring big vintages for the blend, but good lesser ones for the SQ.

That leaves '78 and '75 out on a limb - did they double declare, then stop doing so only to resume a few years later..?

I have records of a Martinez blend for '85, and an Eira Velha for '87 - but no records for either between '78 and '85..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

According to Suckling's book Q d Eira Velha was not sold through Martinez until 1987.

The 1978 vintage was marketed through Cockburn and prior to that all of the Quinta's production was sold to Ferreira.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I've tasted the 2003 Martinez (blend), and didn't like it. It was full of VA. Could have been a bad bottle of course.

The 1994 Martinez is a great port. I have about a case, but would love to have more.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Ton Overmars’ port list

Post by jdaw1 »

KillerB wrote:Ahh, we know of Ton Overmars.
Ton Overmars’ port list, for those interested.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Re: Ton Overmars’ port list

Post by Conky »

jdaw1 wrote:
I though that was quite a limited selection. And when you take into account Michael's point that it is his only worthwhile vendor for 100+miles, thats quite depressing.
Like when the Canadian lads go on about their crazy importing policies and resulting prices, or the US lads struggle for Aged VP, what we take for granted in the UK should be celebrated.

Alan.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

In Austria Niepoort VP 2005 is out- for 58 EUR incl. taxes. Any thoughts?

If you love (like I do) the portuguese language:
http://copod3.blogspot.com/2007_07_01_archive.html
http://vinhodacasa.blogspot.com/

Cheers Michael
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

If you think it will be worth twice that amount when it is ready to drink, then fine - I've seen no notes on it.

Unless it is a truly exceptional wine, I would say that is overpriced.

Tom
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom, I've tried it and its very good..but that is too much money IMHO.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I'm afraid that -given its release price- it's a very decent price. I've seen what it should cost in Dutch stores, and that will be between 70 and 80 euro. :shock:

The steep price raise of Niepoort in the last couple of years makes me a bit sad. But I guess he has a large demand and only a small production, so he's entitled to let the market do its job... Personally, I don't think I'll be buying this year.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: Ton Overmars’ port list

Post by RonnieRoots »

Conky wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
I though that was quite a limited selection. And when you take into account Michael's point that it is his only worthwhile vendor for 100+miles, thats quite depressing.
Like when the Canadian lads go on about their crazy importing policies and resulting prices, or the US lads struggle for Aged VP, what we take for granted in the UK should be celebrated.

Alan.
Alan, what's limited about the selection? He has a wide range of producers, and vintages going back to the '70's. Did you view both pages? He is, BTW not the only worthwhile vendor, there are others, also specialed traders in older vintages, so we have quite a good choice. He is, however, unique in having such a broad range, in showing and selling all through internet, and in having very decent pricing on most ports (only Fonseca tends to be overpriced).
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Ronnie,

Being an idiot, your quite right, I didn't see the second page. That did, obviously, show more, and I stand corrected. To a point.
Jump on winesearcher and choose any VP you care to name, and 90% of the time, its ready for you, in the UK, with acceptable P&P, even if its the other side of the country. I just wish I could afford to use this facility more.

Alan
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

True. The availability of (especially older) VP's in the UK is far better than here. I'm sure it has something to do with Brittain's long history with port. Also, the number of Dutch merchants that sell over the internet, and make use of tools like winesearcher is very much limited, which is a pity.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

58 EUR is- according to my experience- the best price for a Niepoort VP in whole continental Europe. Compared to today prices for a top notch VP it seems to be worthy. Fonseca and Taylor come out in Germany for about 75 EUR.

You GBs can be lucky having a long tradition in buying port and having the possibility buying VPs ready to drink at decent prices. I would be interested if you do not worry about the storing conditions of theese bottles. 10 years might not be a big problem if not properly stored. But what about 20 years and +? . Don't you worry to get a "challenge cup"?

Tom's arithmetic certainly is not easy to dissmis. I will continue. Peak in 15 years, opposite costs: 6%/year, 90 % in 15 years, price for Niepoort in 15 years will be 110,20 EUR at least? For me, this don't appears overly high. And the storing conditions would be known.

I just wonder, if Niepoort VP 2000 for 60 EUR would be a better buy.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

You would have to compare the price to that of older, also good Niepoort VP's like 1994 and 1987 and then decide for yourself if you feel it's worth it.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

Niepoort 1987 is about 100 EUR in Germany. 1992 I bought in 1996 for 20 EUR is now at more than 60 EUR. I did not taste the 2005 so far. But according to several TNs there can be no doubt for me, that 58 EUR is not a bad price.

Cheers
Michael
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Michael M. wrote:Niepoort 1987 is about 100 EUR in Germany.
:shock: :shock: Ouch! You can still buy it under 50 at Ton Overmars.
But I agree that 58 for the 2005 is a good price, I doubt if you'll find it any cheaper somewhere else.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

RonnieRoots wrote:
Michael M. wrote:Niepoort 1987 is about 100 EUR in Germany.
:shock: :shock: Ouch! You can still buy it under 50 at Ton Overmars.
But I agree that 58 for the 2005 is a good price, I doubt if you'll find it any cheaper somewhere else.
I see, inevitable to visit Amsterdam soon. :) :)

BTW: I purchased some weeks ago a bottle of Niepoort 1983 in Wolsum, slight signs of seepage but for under 50 EUR no doubt left . I am already looking forward to try this one. I would also be interested in some more 1997 VP, but articles about this (VA, leakers) do not really encourage. In my cellar I found an additional leaker. :cry: Perhaps time for a Niepoort 1997 VP leakers-reduction-party :wink: . Leaking problems always with the 0,75l bottles, not with the magnums.