Port for sale by retailer

Anything to do with Port.
nac
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 362
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by nac » 15:03 Tue 19 May 2020

The 1970 iteration of Taylor’s Single Harvest has just been released. Laithwaites are knocking it out at £875/6ib.

John Owlett
Cockburn’s Special Reserve
Posts: 39
Joined: 23:26 Wed 04 Dec 2013
Location: Southampton, UK

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by John Owlett » 22:03 Tue 19 May 2020

Good evening everyone,

Berry Bros. and Rudd sent me an e-mail this afternoon offering

1985 Fonseca, Vintage Port - £321 per 6 bottles in bond

This is my favourite Port of the 1980s at a price I am willing to pay, so I ordered half-a-dozen bottles.

Later,

John

nac
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 362
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by nac » 07:24 Sun 07 Jun 2020

Just doing regular trawl of supermarkets websites and some reasonable offers on Waitrose.com. Highlights are:

Graham’s LBV (suggests it’s the 2013) - £9.99 [£4 off]
Sandeman Unfiltered LBV (probably 2015) - £13.79 [was £17.29]
Warre’s Unfiltered LBV 2007 - £18.99 [was £25.49]
Last edited by nac on 07:30 Sun 07 Jun 2020, edited 1 time in total.

nac
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 362
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by nac » 07:28 Sun 07 Jun 2020

nac wrote:
07:24 Sun 07 Jun 2020
Just doing regular trawl of supermarkets websites and some reasonable offers on Waitrose.com. Highlights are:

Graham’s LBV (suggests it’s the 2013) - £9.99 [£4 off]
Sandeman Unfiltered LBV (probably 2015) - £13.79 [was £17.29]
Warre’s Unfiltered LBV 2007 - £18.99 [was £25.49]
...and on Morrisons.com Taylor LBV 2014(?) reduced from £15 to £10.

nac
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 362
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by nac » 07:36 Sun 07 Jun 2020

nac wrote:
07:28 Sun 07 Jun 2020
nac wrote:
07:24 Sun 07 Jun 2020
Just doing regular trawl of supermarkets websites and some reasonable offers on Waitrose.com. Highlights are:

Graham’s LBV (suggests it’s the 2013) - £9.99 [£4 off]
Sandeman Unfiltered LBV (probably 2015) - £13.79 [was £17.29]
Warre’s Unfiltered LBV 2007 - £18.99 [was £25.49]
...and on Morrisons.com Taylor LBV 2014(?) reduced from £15 to £10.
Asda.com
Graham’s LBV 2013(?) - reduced from £13.50 to £9
Bomfim (suggests 2004) - reduced from £28 to £21

User avatar
rich_n
Taylor’s LBV
Posts: 187
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 20:07 Sun 07 Jun 2020

nac wrote:Just doing regular trawl of supermarkets websites and some reasonable offers on Waitrose.com. Highlights are:

Graham’s LBV (suggests it’s the 2013) - £9.99 [£4 off]
Sandeman Unfiltered LBV (probably 2015) - £13.79 [was £17.29]
Warre’s Unfiltered LBV 2007 - £18.99 [was £25.49]
Thanks for the heads up! Time to grab some Sandeman LBV.

nac
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 362
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by nac » 17:24 Fri 12 Jun 2020

If you're interested in doing a comparison of the Taylor 2005s, then Majestic are currently knocking out the Vargellas for £30, and the Terra Feita for £27.

winesecretary
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 411
Joined: 15:35 Mon 13 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by winesecretary » 21:02 Fri 12 Jun 2020

Three of each procured to provide multiple opportunities for horizontal comparison, many thanks!

User avatar
rich_n
Taylor’s LBV
Posts: 187
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 21:29 Fri 12 Jun 2020

nac wrote:If you're interested in doing a comparison of the Taylor 2005s, then Majestic are currently knocking out the Vargellas for £30, and the Terra Feita for £27.
I acquired some of the Vargellas 2005 from Waitrose for a smidge under £26.

winesecretary
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 411
Joined: 15:35 Mon 13 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by winesecretary » 21:41 Fri 12 Jun 2020

@rich_n - Interesting! My Waitrose is still on the 2004 last time I looked...

nac
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 362
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by nac » 21:47 Fri 12 Jun 2020

winesecretary wrote:
21:02 Fri 12 Jun 2020
Three of each procured to provide multiple opportunities for horizontal comparison, many thanks!
Already had the Vargellas, so also procured three of the Terra Feita for the same purpose.

User avatar
rich_n
Taylor’s LBV
Posts: 187
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 21:49 Fri 12 Jun 2020

winesecretary wrote:@rich_n - Interesting! My Waitrose is still on the 2004 last time I looked...
I ordered from Waitrose cellars, so they might be out of sync with the stores.

H_Sterling
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 22
Joined: 08:03 Sat 26 Aug 2017

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by H_Sterling » 16:35 Sat 13 Jun 2020

Bought a 2015 Sandeman LBV from Waitrose (as per the offer mentioned) - it's a decent port for the price.

PhilW
Dow 1980
Posts: 2984
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by PhilW » 17:04 Sat 13 Jun 2020

nac wrote:
17:24 Fri 12 Jun 2020
If you're interested in doing a comparison of the Taylor 2005s, then Majestic are currently knocking out the Vargellas for £30, and the Terra Feita for £27.
I find 2005 to be an under-rated year; I'll have to look this up, ty.

akzy
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 138
Joined: 21:42 Tue 13 Nov 2018
Location: Brighton

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by akzy » 14:34 Tue 16 Jun 2020

Sorry to all those people who bought the Terra Feita at £27 - I've managed to nab some at £22 with the drink shop. They seem to have a bit of a Port sale atm, quite a large variety of LBVs.

As an aside to this, I'm currently working on a LBV/ SQVP searcher that also scours supermarkets and shops like the drinkshop (unlike regular winesearcher). If and when it works, I'll make sure its distributed for the Port proletariat looking for a good deal for their labours.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2368
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by JacobH » 14:43 Tue 16 Jun 2020

Some quite tempting prices there: the Quinta do Infantado LBV 2013 at £16 and Croft QdR 2002 at £18.38.
Image

User avatar
rich_n
Taylor’s LBV
Posts: 187
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 15:11 Tue 16 Jun 2020

akzy wrote:Sorry to all those people who bought the Terra Feita at £27 - I've managed to nab some at £22 with the drink shop. They seem to have a bit of a Port sale atm, quite a large variety of LBVs.

As an aside to this, I'm currently working on a LBV/ SQVP searcher that also scours supermarkets and shops like the drinkshop (unlike regular winesearcher). If and when it works, I'll make sure its distributed for the Port proletariat looking for a good deal for their labours.
Thanks Zak, that’s a great heads up, I didn’t know that store. I ordered some of that but also some of the LBVs on there, I believe one or two will be unfiltered so might be good for the longer term.

I’ll definitely be interested in your portseeker app!

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21884
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by jdaw1 » 19:23 Sat 27 Jun 2020

Re Sainsbury’s pre-summer clearance:
jdaw1 wrote:
19:21 Sat 27 Jun 2020
GM06, decanted noon. Sainsbury’s pre-summer clearance†, £23. New cork, tight-fighting, came out whole, felt like good quality. Impressive cork choice by our friends the Symingtons.

Dark dark red, circa 95% opaque. Nose of blackcurrants and spice. Palate starts dry, with a herbaceous green note (holly came to mind — no idea why), then grows showing a leatheriness structure. Sweetness and blackcurrants later. It feels a bit closed, but there’s black fruit waiting. Very long. I’m going to try to give this a few years. Likely, will fail.


† Also buy Symington Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference 2000 for £20 (stocks always low); and Graham Crusted bot. 2013 for £15. Don’t bother visiting south-London Sainsbury’s, which are now depleted of stock. (And not stocked at all by Brixton Water Lane.)
Also see the thread Made from Port packaging.

nac
Warre’s Traditional LBV
Posts: 362
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by nac » 22:34 Sun 28 Jun 2020

jdaw1 wrote:
19:21 Sat 27 Jun 2020
Sainsbury’s pre-summer clearance
Tempting, and seem to all be available online.

Also worth considering as a cellar defender is Graham’s LBV for £9 at Morrisons. Text suggests it’s 2012, but suspect it needs updating.

winesecretary
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 411
Joined: 15:35 Mon 13 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by winesecretary » 17:12 Mon 29 Jun 2020

Symington Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference 2000 & GM 2006 - not available in Holborn or TCR Sainsbury's. The former was, and the latter still is, available in Angel Sainsbury's.

User avatar
Doggett
Warre’s Otima 20 year old Tawny
Posts: 669
Joined: 17:40 Sun 20 Sep 2015
Location: Weymouth
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by Doggett » 17:46 Mon 29 Jun 2020

Sainsbury’s in Weymouth is lagging behind with TTD 1998 vintage.

User avatar
JacobH
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2368
Joined: 16:37 Sat 03 May 2008
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by JacobH » 18:56 Mon 06 Jul 2020

Amazon UK is also selling the Taylor LBV at £10 and also the Graham’s Crusted (year unclear) at £15.
Image

Post Reply