Port for sale by retailer

Anything to do with Port.
Andy Velebil
Dow 1980
Posts: 2630
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by Andy Velebil » 14:00 Sun 30 Dec 2018

AHB wrote:
12:13 Sun 30 Dec 2018
My local Tesco has just stocked its shelves with the new Tesco Finest Vintage Port, this one is also from the Symingtons but is now the 2007 vintage. Still £20 a bottle (at full price). Next to it is the Malvedos 2004, currently reduced from £27.50 to also be £20 per bottle.
2004 Malvedos is very good. That's a steal at that price.

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12286
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by AHB » 07:47 Mon 15 Apr 2019

Sainsbury have their spring sale on - 25% off when you buy 6 bottles or more, including fortified and sparkling wines.

That makes the Taste the Difference Vintage Port £15 per bottle and the Sandeman Unfiltered LBV less that £13.
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

akzy
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 85
Joined: 21:42 Tue 13 Nov 2018
Location: Brighton

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by akzy » 08:09 Mon 15 Apr 2019

AHB wrote:
07:47 Mon 15 Apr 2019
Sainsbury have their spring sale on - 25% off when you buy 6 bottles or more, including fortified and sparkling wines.

That makes the Taste the Difference Vintage Port £15 per bottle and the Sandeman Unfiltered LBV less that £13.
If I look online, the T&Cs (or if I try to make a 6 bottle basket) say all fortified wines are excluded. Have you taken advantage of this deal in store?
Last edited by akzy on 10:21 Mon 15 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.

CPR 1
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 478
Joined: 16:18 Mon 22 Apr 2013

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by CPR 1 » 10:09 Mon 15 Apr 2019

I think Sainsbury's have changed the T&C to exclude fortified from these offers at least 6 months ago now. Just Waitrose left now that still includes Port in these offers.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


User avatar
flash_uk
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3049
Joined: 20:02 Thu 13 Feb 2014
Location: London

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by flash_uk » 18:20 Mon 15 Apr 2019

Yeah I was in the car today and heard a Sainsbury’s advert for this offer and it said fortified are excluded.

nac
Fonseca Bin 27
Posts: 63
Joined: 14:21 Fri 16 Dec 2016
Location: Kent & London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer - Malvedos 84

Post by nac » 19:23 Tue 09 Jul 2019

Might be of interest...

Corney & Barrow have just listed three 12-bottle OWC cases of Malvedos 84 @ £790 DP.

Guess this is now fairly rare?

akzy
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 85
Joined: 21:42 Tue 13 Nov 2018
Location: Brighton

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by akzy » 13:19 Mon 15 Jul 2019

Warre's LBV 2004/07 on sale as part of Amazon's prime day for £17.49.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Warres-LBV-Por ... ROKL5A1OLE

Jasper May
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 16
Joined: 17:51 Sat 16 Jan 2016
Location: Oxfordshire, UK.

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by Jasper May » 15:28 Sat 24 Aug 2019

Asda online (I do not know about their branches) have Dow's Crusted Port on sale reduced from £18.00 to £13.50.

They are coy as to the bottling date (the image would suggest 2003 or 2005 - the last number is partially obscured), but it may well be a later bottling.

I have ordered some as future cellar defenders, and will advise the bottling date when they arrive.

One irritant is that they will only supply 6 bottles per order, but since they charged me £2.00 per delivery I just made multiple orders.

DaveRL
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 442
Joined: 15:04 Tue 18 Mar 2014
Location: London

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by DaveRL » 19:38 Sat 24 Aug 2019

M&S have their own brand Vintage Port a third off at £18, reduced to clear. Bought the last one, a 2011 (they've also recently had 2007). Reduced to clear, rather than simply reduced, sounded ominous.

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 21:49 Sat 24 Aug 2019

Jasper May wrote:
15:28 Sat 24 Aug 2019
Asda online (I do not know about their branches) have Dow's Crusted Port on sale reduced from £18.00 to £13.50.

They are coy as to the bottling date (the image would suggest 2003 or 2005 - the last number is partially obscured), but it may well be a later bottling.

I have ordered some as future cellar defenders, and will advise the bottling date when they arrive.

One irritant is that they will only supply 6 bottles per order, but since they charged me £2.00 per delivery I just made multiple orders.
I grabbed the bottle they had at my local Asda, bottling date is 2012. At that price is it worth grabbing more if I see it? I assume so!

DaveRL
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 442
Joined: 15:04 Tue 18 Mar 2014
Location: London

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by DaveRL » 23:12 Sat 24 Aug 2019

Crusted should be better than LBV, even unfiltered LBV. I would think that you can't go wrong at that price. To be sure, try a bottle? Certainly I'm now tempted myself.

Jasper May
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 16
Joined: 17:51 Sat 16 Jan 2016
Location: Oxfordshire, UK.

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by Jasper May » 01:29 Tue 27 Aug 2019

Asda delivered 12 bottles today - 4 of which were Dows Crusted 2012 - the others Cockburn 2013 LBV and Taylors Reserve Ruby, despite my having specified no substitutions. 8 bottles were politely rejected.

I hold out very little hope for the 24 bottles due tomorrow :-).

Tarne
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 19
Joined: 20:09 Sat 14 May 2016

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by Tarne » 10:52 Tue 27 Aug 2019

ASDA have advertised Crusted Port for a considerable time but only once have I found it in the stores I've visited.

For many months I have occasionally attempted to order on-line but on each occasion I’ve been stopped in the ordering process - usually after inputting my post code or signing into my account the system reports the product as "unavailable".

ASDA have not acknowledged or replied to my complaint that it should not continue to advertise a product which cannot be ordered or found in their stores.

So, I wish you joy of the four you have managed to purchase at £13.50/bottle. The three bottles, also 2012, which I found by chance after dropping into their Slough store, almost two years ago, were delicious and good value at £18.50

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: RE: Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 20:15 Tue 27 Aug 2019

Tarne wrote:ASDA have advertised Crusted Port for a considerable time but only once have I found it in the stores I've visited.

For many months I have occasionally attempted to order on-line but on each occasion I’ve been stopped in the ordering process - usually after inputting my post code or signing into my account the system reports the product as "unavailable".

ASDA have not acknowledged or replied to my complaint that it should not continue to advertise a product which cannot be ordered or found in their stores.

So, I wish you joy of the four you have managed to purchase at £13.50/bottle. The three bottles, also 2012, which I found by chance after dropping into their Slough store, almost two years ago, were delicious and good value at £18.50
It definitely depends on the store, this thread reminded me to go back and check my local store and I found 6 bottles on at the same price so cleaned them out. Good luck with the hunt!

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 13:10 Wed 28 Aug 2019

Amazon UK currently selling Grahams 10 YO tawny for £13.50.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk


rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: RE: Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 12:46 Thu 05 Sep 2019

DaveRL wrote:M&S have their own brand Vintage Port a third off at £18, reduced to clear. Bought the last one, a 2011 (they've also recently had 2007). Reduced to clear, rather than simply reduced, sounded ominous.
I found the 2007 M&S VP on sale in Moorgate for £6 a bottle! Obviously bought as much as I can get back to Bristol, might still be some there if anyone is in the area.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk


Alex M
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 148
Joined: 11:14 Tue 12 May 2009

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by Alex M » 19:44 Fri 06 Sep 2019

M and S 2007 VP scanning at £6 but label reads £18.
Warre 2001 QdC scanning at £10 but label reads £33.

All in a local M and S.

DaveRL
Graham’s The Tawny
Posts: 442
Joined: 15:04 Tue 18 Mar 2014
Location: London

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by DaveRL » 20:19 Fri 06 Sep 2019

£6 is awesome, and the Warre also v good price. I didn't check what price mine scanned at (I sneaked it in to a basket bought by Mrs L, and didn't get the receipt). I think I might nip down to M&S tomorrow, thanks .

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: RE: Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 13:33 Sat 07 Sep 2019

Alex M wrote:M and S 2007 VP scanning at £6 but label reads £18.
Warre 2001 QdC scanning at £10 but label reads £33.

All in a local M and S.
Sadly couldn't find the Warre but will continue to look out for it, thanks!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk


winesecretary
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 136
Joined: 15:35 Mon 13 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by winesecretary » 17:22 Sat 07 Sep 2019

@ rich_n & Alex M: thank you. I have acquired twenty bottles of startlingly cheap port today. There is now none of either the M&S 2007 VP or the Warre 2001 QdC left in the Islington, Moorgate or Marble Arch stores. There is still some Warre 2001 QdC left in the Oxford Street (Pantheon) store.

I also bought a bag of salad.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21600
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by jdaw1 » 21:16 Sat 07 Sep 2019

winesecretary wrote:
17:22 Sat 07 Sep 2019
I also bought a bag of salad.
Schoolboy error.


winesecretary wrote:
17:22 Sat 07 Sep 2019
@ rich_n & Alex M: thank you. I have acquired twenty bottles of startlingly cheap port today. There is now none of either the M&S 2007 VP or the Warre 2001 QdC left in the Islington, Moorgate or Marble Arch stores. There is still some Warre 2001 QdC left in the Oxford Street (Pantheon) store.
Thank you for the warning. Some of those stores were intended targets. Meanwhile, reports are coming in of empty shelves in Streatham and Brixton, accompanied by the usual business of rioting in the streets and the police being attacked with bags of salad.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21600
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by jdaw1 » 21:37 Sat 07 Sep 2019

A correspondent in Bournemouth reports of an “Outbreak of panic drinking to make space in wine fridge!”

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21600
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by jdaw1 » 13:55 Sun 08 Sep 2019

A sortie being conducted in Wandsworth.

rich_n
Warre’s Warrior
Posts: 80
Joined: 10:59 Thu 23 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by rich_n » 13:56 Sun 08 Sep 2019

I tried 2 in Bristol with no luck, sadly.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk


winesecretary
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 136
Joined: 15:35 Mon 13 May 2019

Re: Port for sale by retailer

Post by winesecretary » 14:16 Sun 08 Sep 2019

I can report Wimbledon is sans bargainous port (helas).

Post Reply