Price of a quinta

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Price of a quinta

Post by uncle tom »

From time to time one hears of a quinta changing hands, and the sale price is very often mentioned - but without knowing the detail of the land, buildings and stock that make up the transaction, it is hard to make much sense of the numbers.

Googling just now I could only find one quinta advertised for sale, which is located on the extreme west of the region at Mesao Frio - although the port rights were quoted, it did not give the grade of the land.

Helpfully though, the bulk of the land was offered as a separate option to the main property, working out at about 45,000 euros per hectare - and some 40 euros per litre of port rights - so Port production alone would not be an economic prospect.

This was on an English language property site, so one wonders if this was a serious price - and with the Iberian property bubble showing clear signs of bursting, this may not be the best time to buy...

Anyone know how estate agency works in Portugal? I tried translating the words 'estate agent' and then Googling, but seemed to get law firms...

Tom

PS: The land offered separately has permission for a house.
Last edited by uncle tom on 07:56 Mon 30 Jul 2007, edited 1 time in total.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom, I believe the Quinta you're talking about is Quinta da Carolina?? It is onwed by an American couple that is getting older and has put their Quinta up for sale. I believe it is an "A" grade vineyard.

Here is a link to the article about it.
http://fortheloveofport.com/ftlopforum/ ... uinta+sale
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

No - the place is called Quinta de Gafaria.

For my liking, both are too big property-wise and too small land-wise.

The asking price for Q. Carolina looks very optimistic...!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Tom,

Didn't you want to leave a Legacy...? What about relocating your collection to where it was born, while the next generation grows in the garden? :)

Alan
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I'd need a very deep cellar in the Douro valley to handle the temperature extremes, and moving this many bottles that far is more than a little daunting..

..so as I've no plans to sell my pad here, that's not my immediate plan!

Tom