Cruz Ruby is an Award Winner!!!!!

Anything to do with Port.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Cruz Ruby is an Award Winner!!!!!

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I was reading the text of Alan's posting about the 2005 declaration and followed the link to infoportwine.com when further down the page a newsarticle caught my eye.

This was an article about the Decanter World Wine Awards for 2007. It says that The Regional Non-Vintage Port Under £10 Prize was awarded to
Gran Cruz Ruby Reserve Tribute

I am now in shock. This puts it on a par in the awards with Graham's Crusted and Taylor 1977 :shock: :?

Looks like Alan is the only one on this forum who knows what he is talking about when it comes to Cruz.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I never said I really liked it! :D
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Quick test - I just tried to post a reply to this and the site crashed - losing my text.. :twisted:

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

OK - In brief:

Would you trust Cruz not to cheat when submitting samples to Decanter??

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Tom,
IIRC, there have been a few wineries over the years that have been caught sending a "different" bottle than what is sold at retail to a tasting panel. There was one dry wine company that one of the big reviewers here in the states (maybe James Laube or Suckling??) called to the carpet on it and showed the sample sent was totally different than what they sold at retail. Its a shame that this does happen from time to time, although I don't know if that is the case this time.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Or maybe.... Cruz was the only competitor in that category?
Importers or wineries have to send in these wines, and mostly have to pay to do so. Maybe nobody but Cruz could be bothered?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

This is the sub-£10 category.

Post by jdaw1 »

Hold on. This is the sub-£10 category. And would I win the 1000 meters at the No-Training-Except-Port Fat-Boy Olympics? Maybe. But would that make me an Olympic athlete? Not in my wife’s eyes, let me tell you.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

True. But still, there are better ports (a lot probably) in that price category.
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: This is the sub-£10 category.

Post by Todd P »

jdaw1 wrote:Hold on. This is the sub-£10 category. And would I win the 1000 meters at the No-Training-Except-Port Fat-Boy Olympics? Maybe. But would that make me an Olympic athlete? Not in my wife’s eyes, let me tell you.
Julian, I have been trying to convince my wife and friends that I am the world Champion for the most-port-drinking-fat-ironman triathlon event. Similar comparison :)

This is similar to an "award" that was given to the company I work for several years ago: "One of Canada's Top Ten Employers" (Until you clicked on the link provided in the web-announcement and dug a bit deeper to discover that companies had to pay to enter said 'competition' and that year over 400 entries had been lost due to a mail strike that occured shortly before the entry deadline. Hmm. Wonder why we didn't win that same 'award' for the next few years too???
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

I am "Cruz Ruby", so please gentlemen show some respect! I am contented that "Decanter" appreciates my personal qualities.

:lol:
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Michael,

You will not have to suffer this indignity for long. Just keep posting and you will mature into a finer specimen :cool:

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Nevski
Cruz Ruby

Post by Nevski »

This is what keeps me posting - there can't be more insulting thing then call a serious port geek as a "Cruz Ruby" :evil: :wink:

Btw, what is the next step? How many posts do I need in order to become QdNN 1931 VP? 88)
-Nevski-
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Nevski wrote:Btw, what is the next step? How many posts do I need in order to become QdNN 1931 VP? 88)
Next step - Cheap Ruby, followed by the greatly insulting Cockburn's Ruby.

Nacional is not on the horizon for a long time. Derek is coming up for 700 posts but is still Warre's Otima 20 year old Tawny. A nice tawny, but VP comes in at 1000.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

How can it be that the man who is fullest of Hot Air achieves such glorified status!!! :D

Thats not aimed at you Derek, but you are favourite to reach the 1000 first. :wink:

Alan