Seeking recommendations for trip to Oporto

Anything to do with Port.
dolcetours
Cheap Ruby

Seeking recommendations for trip to Oporto

Post by dolcetours »

My partner and I are heading to Portugal on January 8 to scout a Port tour for our company La Dolce Vita Wine Tours.

I’m interested in hearing recommendations from those of you who have been there before. Which Port firms offer the most interesting visits, from your perspective? Any restaurants in Oporto or upstream around Pinhao that are particularly good? Did you do a river cruise and was it worthwhile?

Here’s our itinerary as currently planned: http://www.dolcetours.com/ep_port.htm

It’s not yet set in stone, so we’re open to suggestions on must-see spots or recommended wineries/hotels/restaurants. Much appreciated!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: Seeking recommendations for trip to Oporto

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've had a quick look at the itinerary you've drafted and it seems very reasonable - although very focussed on the wines and wineries and less on the other culture of the area (apart from Lamego). I can't see in the itinerary a train journey from Oporto (or Regua) to Pinhao. If you slot in a train ride, I would really recommend you doing so. This is one of the world's spectacular train journeys and well worth the effort.

You might also like to consider DOC as a restaurant when in Pinhao. Although I have not yet had the chance to eat there, it comes highly recommended.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
dolcetours
Cheap Ruby

Post by dolcetours »

Thanks for those tips, Alex. You're right about the wine focus; that is what our tours are all about (thus our name, La Dolce Vita Wine Tours). But we do strive to strike a sane and enjoyable balance, and we'll flesh the tour out with a boat ride on the Douro and other activities, which we'll look into more closely during our trip next week.

I've heard about that spectacular train ride. But since we'll need 4 wheels when upstream to get around, visit wineries, and go to dinner etc., we'll need to drive the van. I hear there are nice roads along the Douro valley too. But maybe we'll see if there's a way to put the clients in the train and reconnect with them up-river.

We'll check out DOC for sure -- and I'll report back!

Pat
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

One thing I might add to your time in Oporto is a visit to the Palacio da Bolsa; it not only is a fabulous building, worth seeing in its own right, but gives a good sense of the contribution of Port (and non-Port) trading a shipping to Oporto.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

If you have time while in Porto, I would recommend a trip to the Solar do Vinho do Porto. They have an amazing array of Ports available for purchase by the glass, and the view from the patio is spectacular.

A word of clarification: the D.O.C. restaurant is in Folgosa, not Pinhao. It has a Pinhao address, but my guess is that is due to the fact that Folgosa is too small to have its own post office. Folgosa is about 15 kilometers west of Pinhao on route N222.

Another option in Pinhao itself would be the restaurant at the Vintage House Hotel. Very expensive, but also very lavish. On the less expensive end of the scale is restaurant Ponte Romana which is just across the roman bridge (thus the name) as you leave Pinhao toward Quinta de la Rosa.
Glenn Elliott
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Post by oscar quevedo »

Hi Patricia,

Great to know that you are heading to Portugal and that you have chosen Douro as you destination for your 2010 tours. I'm the youngest member of family wine producer located in S. João da Pesqueira and I would like to invite you to come over to visit us during your trip to Portugal early January.

Regarding your itinerary, from what I have seen, you are visiting some interesting producers and your tourists will definitively enjoy!
dolcetours
Cheap Ruby

Post by dolcetours »

I just returned to NYC from our scouting trip in the Douro, and wanted to thank you all for your tips. There was rain every day and the Douro was near flood-stage, but the welcome was warm at the wineries we got to visit: Niepoort, do Tedo, de la Rosa, Grahams, among many others.

We couldn't try out DOC, as it was closed in January, but the same folks have opened a new restaurant in Pinhao, right on the river, called LBV 79. Great looking spot. And Porta Romana proved to be a real watering hole for local winemakers.

Unfortunately, we did try out the Portuguese medical system. My husband's retina became detached when we were there, and he had to have emergency surgery or he'd permanently lose his vision in that eye. Serious stuff. I must say, I was very impressed with our surgeon and the CUF hospital in Porto. I highly recommend it, if you're ever in need!

If anyone's interested, I posted some entries about our trip on our Facebook page. Sign in and search for La Dolce Vita Wine Tours. Would love your comments there!