Decanters

Anything to do with Port.
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Decanters

Post by Conky »

I came across this site. I was surprised that one of the Port decanters was over £200. Got me thinking why they described some as wine and some as Port. I thought they'd have the same attributes.
So go on, educate me?

Alan
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

In which case I've got at least two port decanters, possibly three, one Captain's (I called it a Ship's) decanter and a Claret jug.
Port is basically a red drink
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

As a rule of thumb, wine decanters have no stoppers. Port/Sherry/Spirits decanters have stoppers.

Some might argue that spirits decanters should be square, and sherry decanters conical - but I wouldn't get too hung up about it..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Good one. And so obvious when you say it. :oops: You generally would finish your wine at the table, but much less so with Port.

I presume most decanters come with a stopper so they can be used for both purposes.
Image I have half a dozen Lead Crystal decanters, all with stoppers, that I won as golf prizes. I was using them as Port decanters, but wondering if anyone else would tell me that they were actually wine decanters, or something else.
Now I know the simple truth. :)

Alan
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Oh yeah, got a whisky decanter as well. And a couple of carafes. And a whizzy crystal thing with a spout.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

No. I think you'll find you had a whisky Decanter. Like I had some whisky/Brandy Decanters.

Now we have Port Decanters! Its all to do with the stopper. :D

Unless we're drinking Whisky,etc. :roll:

Alan