Which VPs will last 100 years?

Anything to do with Port.
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Re: Which VPs will last 100 years?

Post by Doggett »

I thought I would ‘bump’ this thread... not so much to reignite the Nacional element but the original premise of Port that would be enjoyable throughout a century of drinking. I think wines that last a century will have many peaks throughout that time that will showcase the various elements of fruit, tannin, tertiary etc. I think the much missed Mr Doty has a point when suggesting a Port shouldn’t need 100 years to be pleasurable, but I am interested in the updated thoughts of those who have posted before and those that have read the posts and their opinions. Sadly I have not had the chance to enjoy a vintage Port at 100 years or more that was still singing, but some that have been close to that age still had life left to get there. It is those from the 60s onwards I would be most interested in reading thoughts about. The few times I have had the F66 it seemed it had the legs and there are a few 70s and 77s that spring to mind too...as well as [breaking my own construct]... the NN2011/2003 and 1997. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Doggett on 20:32 Tue 30 Apr 2019, edited 1 time in total.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

An interesting thread to bump. I enjoyed reading it, thanks. Of those not mentioned so far, I wonder if Taylor 1992 might be a contender.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Chris Doty wrote: 22:11 Mon 19 Sep 2011At some point, greatness just needs to be defined by its ability to perform when you want it to, no? "No excuses, play like a champion."
An excellent example of the greatness of Chris Doty.

Mention should be made, and strangely hasn’t in this thread, of the 1927s. Century-grade ’27s, in order: Niepoort, Noval, Cockburn, and Taylor.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I think the better vintage ports from the more robust vintages (not to be confused with declared years, which are not always that robust) will generally make it to a hundred years provided that they are:

a) Cool cellared in fairly high humidity without day/night temperature fluctuations.

b) Periodically inspected and consumed on the principal of 'survival of the fittest'.

If a dozen bottles are thus well cared for, with the last drunk at 100 years, the likelihood is that the final bottle will still have a level in neck or base of neck. When centenarian bottles in fine fettle get opened, they usually show very well. Unfortunately, most of the ones that come to market are variously ullaged..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill