Optimum decanting time for Warre's 1985 VP

Anything to do with Port.
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Optimum decanting time for Warre's 1985 VP

Post by Todd P »

How long would you give this particular bottle? I am opening it in anticipation of a new work contract coming to fruition and setting me down the path to financial freedom and independence from the debilitating rigours of a regular 'day job.'

Okay, not really. I'm opening it to celebrate me starting the search for a new job. My boss and I hate each other. Seeing as how HE controls who gets the promotions and raises (guess who doesn't get these things) someone has to change. <sigh>

Being powerless sucks.

Todd
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Todd,

I suspect your going to enjoy this bottle. My advice would be to be wary of advice. I would open it anywhere between 6-12 hours before the company arrives. But at the same time, I would take a sip every couple of hours, as a fine Port like that does evolve. If you were on your own, I would wait for the intergration to start and enjoy it whenever that might be. Thats the bore with the younger VP's, sometimes the intergration and calming never takes place. But if your expecting company, and they are going to be around for say 4-6 hours, I'd guesstamate a bit longer than the classic advice and go for 6-12 hours.
Good luck.

Alan
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

W85

Post by jdaw1 »

This tasting started about 4 hours after decanting.
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

~8 hours

Jay
Better things for better living through chemistry
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Todd,

Are you a computer and port geek?

If so, the UK needs you. My company has hundreds of vacancies for good IT people and I have a need for a port friend with a good sense of humour, a sense of rythm, who doesn't have an inferiority complex and who would let me play with his explosives 88)

Derek[/u]
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Dont you think we currently have enough explosives nuts here! Judging on the past day or so. :shock:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I admit to being a pyromaniac, but only in open spaces 88)

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Are you after a thorough house search, and family investigation, this fine evening? They do search the Net, you know!
I'll volunteer to join the squad and search your cellar.
Being a clumsy sod, there's always breakages! :twisted:

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ok, Officer, I'll go quietly :roll:
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Not with a Bang then!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

No, I prefer slow burn :?
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

jdaw1 wrote:• Warre 1985
Mid-red, with a smell of strawberry (not quite ripe strawberry perhaps). Great length, large, though still tight and needs more years. I liked JFH’s word “thorough†.
Still needs a few more years then Julian?? Thanks for the tip - perhaps you have saved a life from Death Row.

The judge retires to his chambers to reconsider the defendant's plea.

Todd
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

Derek T. wrote:Todd,

Are you a computer and port geek?

If so, the UK needs you. My company has hundreds of vacancies for good IT people and I have a need for a port friend with a good sense of humour, a sense of rythm, who doesn't have an inferiority complex and who would let me play with his explosives 88)

Derek[/u]
Derek,

Computer and port geek - check
port friend with good sense of humour - check
doesn't have inferiority complex - check
let you play with my explosives - ummm, if I had any, then check. If I don't have any does that exclude me??? ;)

sense of rythym - sorry pal, but rythym definitely took a pass on this guy. My wife and I have a standing joke - every time I attempt to dance, something bad happens. Case in point, that accident where the ankle got shattered... yep, happened the morning after the wife (at the time, serious girlfriend) tried making me learn to dance with her. She hasn't tried to force me into any insanity like that since, so I decided to marry her ;)

Todd
Luc
Graham’s The Tawny

Post by Luc »

Conky wrote:Dont you think we currently have enough explosives nuts here! Judging on the past day or so. :shock:
I may be a nut , but I'm not explosive !!!
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

I just had another bottle of the Warre 1985 as my daughter (born in 85) was visiting. I was cought a little flat footed and was only able to decant ~2 hours before dessert. At that point there was still some heat. Over the course of the night it improved until at 6 hours it was drinking superbly.

So I would decant 6-8 hours. This wine will be very nice in 10 years, but it is also very nice right now :D

Jay
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

So there's yet another example of how all the classic Decanting periods in the Authoritive books and articles, are in my opinion, short by roughly a third.
Each to his own of course, but I'm sticking by that rule of thumb.

Tasting Note to follow, Jay?

Alan
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

and who would let me play with his explosives
You can play for free - Saturday mornings in October, when I train all-comers in the gentle art of painting the sky! (the training sesions always end with a bang.. :D )

~~~

I don't have a clear benchmark for '85 decanting times - so far they seem a little shorter than some other major vintages, but I don't put much weight on that impression.

- Must put an '85 on death row... :twisted:

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

Conky wrote: Tasting Note to follow, Jay?
Alan
I have had this wine many times now so failed to take any notes. I have posted a note before on another site. My summary note from this time round is:

Yum...need to get some more of this :D

Jay
bman
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by bman »

My experience over the past few years with anything from 77 or the 80s is that it's better the next day, even when decanted in the morning and tasted in the evening. That said, I've put a stopper in the decanter overnight, but still enjoyed those ports more the second evening that the day I decanted it.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Hallelujah!

Someone from the western side of the pond having the patience to give the juice enough time in decanter..! :D

In a certain 'other' place, it's routine to hear the new world participants protesting that wines only need about 35 seconds in decanter...

..and then arguing that Graham '77 is flawed, because the old juice hasn't had a chance to pull itself together!

Tom :D
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I love the PR spiel you often hear about the Producers are now creating Vintage Ports that are made to be drunk young! Just try and find these Ports and ask what the difference is.
It is pure balderdash that is aimed at making the American Market feel reassured about Infanticide. :roll:

Alan

It was a pleasure expressing that opinion and knowing there will not be a significant American backlash......Yet! :lol:
bman
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by bman »

Nor a Canadian backlash, though I will say that I have had a single vintage port young, that I enjoyed, namely the 97 Sandeman Vau. for whatever reason, both times I've tried this (first about 3 or 4 years ago, then again a couple of years ago), I've enjoyed it even though it should have been WWWAAAAAYYYY too young. But other than that one, I like my ports with at least 25 years, if not 35 or more in good vintages, on them. Even single quintas though those can be nice after 15-20 years I think.
Todd P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Todd P »

You're right Alan, it does beg the question Alan, how exactly does one produce a VP that will mature faster and be ready to drink in less time than a 'classic VP'??? :shock: ;?

Tom, I have left my last two VPs (more out of coincidence than planning) in the decanter for over two weeks, stealing small sips along the way. Is this considered "sufficient time in decanter?"

(Hey, this guy CAN be taught! :D)

Todd
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I've been working my way slowly through a Rebello Valente '70 decanted last Saturday lunchtime - overall a 5-4 wine, fragrant - but a little too spiritous.

It was signficantly better after 2 days than at 24 hours, and remained on the same plateau on Tuesday.

Last night it was beginning to show signs of becoming a little stale, but still much better than it was on Saturday evening.

As always, I have been careful to avoid letting the decanter get too warm - keeping it in the cellar, which is currently showing 64F.

~~~

And how does one make a VP for early consumption?

- dare I suggest some light filtration...??

Tom
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

And how does one make a VP for early consumption?
- dare I suggest some light filtration...??
That would make for an interesting trial (If it hasn't already been done). Even if it was proved to work, and I have my doubts, I bet the majority of us would then become 'Unfiltered Whatsoever' Snobs! :D

Alan