Organising Your Port

Anything to do with Port.
User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12292
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Organising Your Port

Post by AHB » 01:22 Sun 05 Apr 2009

I've just spent a very happy couple of hours going through the contents of my recently moved collection of bottles (recently moved only because the builders are now demolishing the room where they were kept).

I now have all my port ay home in alphabetical order by shipper, chronologically within each shipper and then in sub-order of date of acquiring them.

I know, I'm sad but I did have fun putting them in this order.

So how do you organise your bottles?
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15481
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by DRT » 01:29 Sun 05 Apr 2009

I have two wine coolers. I very occassionaly pull all of the bottles out and put them back in chronological order but with no regard to alpha order of the shippers within each vintage. Shoddy, but true.

The exceptions to this are that (a) Nacionals all lie on one shelf and never move until being taken out to drink and (b) anything I have 6 of gets a whole shelf to itself, not necessarily in the chronilogical order.

I am glad I am not as geeky as AHB when it comes to matters of storage.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

Glenn E.
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3403
Joined: 22:27 Wed 09 Jul 2008
Location: Seattle, WA, USA

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by Glenn E. » 17:19 Sun 05 Apr 2009

Mine are grouped more-or-less by age, sub sorted by perceived quality. Since I'm using a wine fridge for storage, I can't be too picky about where each bottle must reside or there will be too many holes on the shelves, so it would be optimistic to say that my bottles are sorted. I do know where everything is, but the "order" would probably not be apparent to anyone else.

Like Derek, I also sort out sets of 6 (or 12) onto separate shelves. In my case, all of my sets of 6 or 12 are younger Ports that need to lie down for many years, so I've migrated them toward the bottom of the fridge where the temperature is presumably slightly cooler (and more constant).
Glenn Elliott

ajfeather
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 122
Joined: 20:44 Thu 16 Aug 2007
Location: London, UK

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by ajfeather » 19:37 Sun 05 Apr 2009

I think its fair to say that what I store on site I don't organise. Due to space constraints I don't have that many bottles at home and quite frequently cannot find something or find something I had lost. It can be fun and it can be frustrating, on reflection mostly fun.

I would love one day to organise things much more but that will probably wait until the little'ies grow up a bit.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21627
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by jdaw1 » 21:48 Sun 05 Apr 2009

Collections of bottles go in a hole in the rack big enough to accommodate them. If there multiple choices of hole, I endeavour to choose one near like wines (age or house). Bottles have neck tags, and there is the inevitable spreadsheet.

User avatar
Portman
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 136
Joined: 17:24 Wed 01 Apr 2009
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by Portman » 13:19 Mon 06 Apr 2009

I put my ready to drink and lesser ports up front like pawns to protect my rooks and bishops. The key is to always have a buffer of cellar defenders.

User avatar
jdaw1
Cockburn 1900
Posts: 21627
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by jdaw1 » 15:42 Mon 06 Apr 2009

Portman wrote:cellar defenders
What a great term for quality but everyday-drinking port.

User avatar
AHB
Fonseca 1963
Posts: 12292
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by AHB » 19:48 Mon 06 Apr 2009

jdaw1 wrote:
Portman wrote:cellar defenders
What a great term for quality but everyday-drinking port.
Now there's an idea for a thread sometime...
Top Ports in 2019 (so far): Cockburn 1947 and Quinta do Noval Nacional 2017
2018 Ports of the year: São Leonardo 1927 White Port (Bottled 2018), Quinta do Noval Nacional 1994

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15481
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by DRT » 01:08 Tue 07 Apr 2009

AHB wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:
Portman wrote:cellar defenders
What a great term for quality but everyday-drinking port.
Now there's an idea for a thread sometime...
...and an off-line theme 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
Axel P
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1870
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by Axel P » 20:21 Tue 07 Apr 2009

I organised them by year and if I do not have enough from a specific year I bundled them together such as 1978 to 1980.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com

User avatar
uncle tom
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3011
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by uncle tom » 17:30 Wed 08 Apr 2009

My cellar is ordered loosely, but I put my faith in tagging every bottle, numbering every rack, assigning a letter to every column of each rack and a number to each row - and then telling my computer where I've put things.

For the tags, I have a three figure 'case number' and then a letter for the bottle number.

Thus case number 333C is the third bottle from case number 333. (which happens to be Croft '70) My computer tells me that the first bottle from the case is stored at location 03A06 - rack three, column A, row 6. The bottles are always racked vertically, so I know that bottle C will lie in the row below (rack 3 is a double depth rack)

My main database tells me essential infrmation about each case - which wine, where bought, when, how much for, how many bottles, what format & how many bottles have been drunk or sold.

For each line on the database, there is a link to a case notes file, which records more detailed information for the purchase as a whole - mainly provenance and bottler information - and for each bottle - level and condition, tasting notes or details of to whom sold.

I have also written a raft of macros to analyse the data in various ways..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill

User avatar
Axel P
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1870
Joined: 08:09 Wed 12 Sep 2007
Location: Langenfeld, near Cologne, Germany
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by Axel P » 18:45 Wed 08 Apr 2009

Axel P wrote:My cellar is ordered loosely, but I put my faith in tagging every bottle, numbering every rack, assigning a letter to every column of each rack and a number to each row - and then telling my computer where I've put things.

For the tags, I have a three figure 'case number' and then a letter for the bottle number.

Thus case number 333C is the third bottle from case number 333. (which happens to be Croft '70) My computer tells me that the first bottle from the case is stored at location 03A06 - rack three, column A, row 6. The bottles are always racked vertically, so I know that bottle C will lie in the row below (rack 3 is a double depth rack)

My main database tells me essential infrmation about each case - which wine, where bought, when, how much for, how many bottles, what format & how many bottles have been drunk or sold.

For each line on the database, there is a link to a case notes file, which records more detailed information for the purchase as a whole - mainly provenance and bottler information - and for each bottle - level and condition, tasting notes or details of to whom sold.

I have also written a raft of macros to analyse the data in various ways..
Tom, you fully lost me on the way. If I had your system, I would only be able to source a bottle when totally drunk, because then it wouldnt matter anyways.

:)
Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com

User avatar
Portman
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 136
Joined: 17:24 Wed 01 Apr 2009
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by Portman » 19:23 Wed 08 Apr 2009

Some of you guys have some incredible cellars. Case 333? I've got probably 500 bottles and my friends think I am nuts. Just because I go down there and talk to my favorite bottles doesnt prove a thing.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15481
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by DRT » 19:28 Wed 08 Apr 2009

Portman wrote:I've got probably 500 bottles and my friends think I am nuts. Just because I go down there and talk to my favorite bottles doesnt prove a thing.
You fit right in here 88) :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2425
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by KillerB » 20:05 Wed 08 Apr 2009

Does anybody need reminding that AHB is an Accountant?

If have a space, a new bottle will go in there. That's my system.
Port is basically a red drink

User avatar
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1979
Joined: 08:28 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by RonnieRoots » 07:53 Fri 10 Apr 2009

KillerB wrote:If have a space, a new bottle will go in there. That's my system.
You have tremendous willpower. I don't. My system is: if I have space, a new bottle will go there. If I don't, a new case will have to be nudged in somehow.

But given that most of my bottles are in offsite storage at the moment, I do have a sort of a system. Cases are numbered, and everything is in cellartracker. That way I know where to look if I want something out of there. Which still means that case will be at the bottom of the pile of course.

User avatar
uncle tom
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3011
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by uncle tom » 10:45 Fri 10 Apr 2009

Case 333?
My most recent entry has been allocated the case number 805 - however, I started at 100 and every part case, even lone bottles; get a case number.

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2425
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by KillerB » 11:21 Fri 10 Apr 2009

RonnieRoots wrote:
KillerB wrote:If have a space, a new bottle will go in there. That's my system.
You have tremendous willpower. I don't. My system is: if I have space, a new bottle will go there. If I don't, a new case will have to be nudged in somehow.
Hang on - I didn't say that I wouldn't buy wine just because there is no space, just if there is space a wine will go there. Hence the higgledy piggledy nature of my filing system. I have cases all over the place and spare bottles hanging around on shelves, stuff precariously dangling by gossamer thin threads from light-bulbs. For pity's sake don't accuse me of restraint.
Port is basically a red drink

User avatar
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980
Posts: 1979
Joined: 08:28 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by RonnieRoots » 11:26 Fri 10 Apr 2009

KillerB wrote:
RonnieRoots wrote:
KillerB wrote:If have a space, a new bottle will go in there. That's my system.
You have tremendous willpower. I don't. My system is: if I have space, a new bottle will go there. If I don't, a new case will have to be nudged in somehow.
Hang on - I didn't say that I wouldn't buy wine just because there is no space, just if there is space a wine will go there. Hence the higgledy piggledy nature of my filing system. I have cases all over the place and spare bottles hanging around on shelves, stuff precariously dangling by gossamer thin threads from light-bulbs. For pity's sake don't accuse me of restraint.
Glad to hear that --sigh of relief--

User avatar
Portman
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 136
Joined: 17:24 Wed 01 Apr 2009
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by Portman » 22:15 Fri 10 Apr 2009

uncle tom wrote:
Case 333?
My most recent entry has been allocated the case number 805 - however, I started at 100 and every part case, even lone bottles; get a case number.

Tom

I'm still impressed.

User avatar
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3394
Joined: 13:50 Wed 24 Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by g-man » 22:39 Fri 10 Apr 2009

KillerB wrote:Does anybody need reminding that AHB is an Accountant?

If have a space, a new bottle will go in there. That's my system.
I take the , if I'm still sober, then a new bottle could definitely in the cellar.

Otherwise I'm at capacity =(
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz

User avatar
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2425
Joined: 22:09 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Sky Blue City, England

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by KillerB » 23:05 Fri 10 Apr 2009

g-man wrote:
KillerB wrote:Does anybody need reminding that AHB is an Accountant?

If have a space, a new bottle will go in there. That's my system.
I take the , if I'm still sober, then a new bottle could definitely in the cellar.

Otherwise I'm at capacity =(
I have no idea what you are trying to say here. I assume something about the use of a comma as a pause replacing 'then' but no excuse for the inapproprate space or frankly baffling end to the sentence. If this was an attempt at piss-taking then please ensure that the satire is pertinently accurate :wink:
Port is basically a red drink

User avatar
uncle tom
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
Posts: 3011
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by uncle tom » 12:14 Sat 11 Apr 2009

Otherwise I'm at capacity =(
At the time of writing, I suspect.. :nirvana: :nirvana: :nirvana:
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill

User avatar
Portman
Fonseca LBV
Posts: 136
Joined: 17:24 Wed 01 Apr 2009
Location: Washington DC, USA

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by Portman » 15:34 Sat 11 Apr 2009

At my other board we use the shorthand "PWI" in cases like these. Posting While Intoxicated

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15481
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Organising Your Port

Post by DRT » 19:28 Sat 11 Apr 2009

Portman wrote:At my other board we use the shorthand "PWI" in cases like these. Posting While Intoxicated
It would be more appropriate to use PWNI on this site to avoid over-use :roll:
:lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn

Post Reply