Crusted port database

Anything to do with Port.
User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 01:17 Tue 06 Jan 2015

Auction, Christie, Manson & Woods, 6 December 1977.
Image
(Reproduced by kind permission of Christie’s; my picture #24339.)

User avatar
AHB
Quinta do Noval Nacional 1962
Posts: 11378
Joined: 13:41 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Berkshire, UK

Re: Crusted port database

Post by AHB » 00:42 Sun 11 Jan 2015

jdaw1 wrote:Auction, Christie, Manson & Woods, 12 February 1976.
Image
(Reproduced by kind permission of Christie’s; my picture #23927.)
Mmmm. Cockburn Crusted bottled 1968 - otherwise known as the 1966 vintage that was never declared.
Top Port in 2017 (so far): Graham Stone Terraces 2015 and Quinta do Vesuvio 1994
2016 Port of the year: Cockburn 1908

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 10:45 Sun 11 Jan 2015

AHB wrote:Mmmm. Cockburn Crusted bottled 1968 - otherwise known as the 1966 vintage that was never declared.
Is that consistent with pricing cheaper than that of Taylor crusted bottled 1963.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by DRT » 11:50 Sun 11 Jan 2015

jdaw1 wrote:
AHB wrote:Mmmm. Cockburn Crusted bottled 1968 - otherwise known as the 1966 vintage that was never declared.
Is that consistent with pricing cheaper than that of Taylor crusted bottled 1963.
The only example we know of that could help prove this theory is the Cockburn Crusted 1977. That was undeclared 1977 VP bottled (and corked) as Cockburn Crusted 1977. If that was a continuation of a common practice then the Cockburn Crusted 1968 would be unreleased VP from 1968, not 1966. If it were unreleased VP from 1966 it would be Cockburn Crusted 1966.

I think it is just ordinary crusted port, bottled in 1968, probably from a mixture of vintages from the two or three preceding years.

As for the price difference, that is easily explained by the fact that the Taylor has more bottle age and by the fact that in this time period Taylor outranked Cockburn in the pricing stakes.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 12:05 Sun 11 Jan 2015

DRT wrote:As for the price difference, that is easily explained by the fact that the Taylor has more bottle age and by the fact that in this time period Taylor outranked Cockburn in the pricing stakes.
Agreed. And the price difference suggests that the general consensus at the time was that the Cockburn was indeed a crusted.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 11:17 Wed 14 Jan 2015

Auction, Christie’s, 14 February 1978.
Image
(Reproduced by kind permission of Christie’s; my picture #24508.)

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 16:07 Wed 14 Jan 2015

Auction, Christie’s, 30 March 1978.
Image
(Reproduced by kind permission of Christie’s; my picture #24516.)

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2475
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by Andy Velebil » 00:21 Thu 15 Jan 2015

jdaw1 wrote:Auction, Christie’s, 30 March 1978.
Image
(Reproduced by kind permission of Christie’s; my picture #24516.)
Being my birth year, If anyone comes across any of these let me know or buy them. Port from this year is quite hard to come by, though not necessarily great.

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: Crusted port database

Post by RAYC » 10:36 Thu 15 Jan 2015

Andy Velebil wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Auction, Christie’s, 30 March 1978.
Image
(Reproduced by kind permission of Christie’s; my picture #24516.)
Being my birth year, If anyone comes across any of these let me know or buy them. Port from this year is quite hard to come by, though not necessarily great.
Does the 1973 here refer to bottling date or the vintage of wine? I had assumed bottling date in this context, but hey may have done things differently then. What was the Martinez 73 crusted that we had recently?
Rob C.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 10:49 Thu 15 Jan 2015

RAYC wrote:Does the 1973 here refer to bottling date or the vintage of wine? I had assumed bottling date in this context, but hey may have done things differently then. What was the Martinez 73 crusted that we had recently?
Crusted is typically a blend of vintages, so the date is that of bottling. Of course there might be exceptions, but this is the default.

PhilW
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2490
Joined: 14:22 Wed 15 Dec 2010
Location: Near Cambridge, UK

Re: Crusted port database

Post by PhilW » 11:12 Thu 15 Jan 2015

RAYC wrote:Does the 1973 here refer to bottling date or the vintage of wine? I had assumed bottling date in this context, but hey may have done things differently then. What was the Martinez 73 crusted that we had recently?
It was bottled 1973 (link to label image in the VPID).

User avatar
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2060
Joined: 23:50 Tue 04 May 2010
Location: London

Re: Crusted port database

Post by RAYC » 11:34 Thu 15 Jan 2015

jdaw1 wrote: Of course there might be exceptions, but this is the default.
Yes - it was just that that particular listing, in contrast to some of the other auction listings, did not specify that this was the bottling date (and Andy's subsequent reference to "Port of this year" gave me pause for thought given what Cockburn did in 1977 and, perhaps more directly comparable, what Graham did with Malvedos pre-Symington ownership).
Rob C.

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 23:34 Thu 15 Jan 2015

Auction, Christie’s, 29 June 1978.
Image
Sold at £35 per dozen.

(Reproduced by kind permission of Christie’s; my picture #24566.)

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 11:18 Mon 19 Jan 2015

Auction, Christie’s, 14 August 1979.
Image
(Reproduced by kind permission of Christie’s; my picture #24633.)

User avatar
uncle tom
Dow 1980
Posts: 2773
Joined: 23:43 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Near Saffron Walden, England

Re: Crusted port database

Post by uncle tom » 13:07 Fri 13 Feb 2015

Cockburn Crusted 1977
If this is the undeclared Cockburn '77 VP? Are the Symingtons now selling it as Crusted?

Technically, if its being sold as Crusted, it should be sold as the '79 - when it was bottled.

Either way, I'll put it on the list if it's being marketed..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 13:23 Fri 13 Feb 2015

That was cited by DRT as an example of a liked Cockburn Crusted, rather than anything being marketed.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by DRT » 14:33 Fri 13 Feb 2015

As far as I am aware the Ck77 has never been sold by the producer. Some have been given away and a few of those might have reached the secondary market. The "Crusted" status is pretty meaningless in this instance as it is an unapproved VP that was bottled for consumption by the Cockburn Directors and their guests. It is my understanding that the Symngtons are holding to that long-established tradition.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

User avatar
jdaw1
Taylor 1900
Posts: 19748
Joined: 15:03 Thu 21 Jun 2007
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jdaw1 » 18:11 Wed 07 Sep 2016

Wine & Food No. 127, Autumn 1965, page 86, records “A 1955 Claret Dinner” held by the Westwood branch of the Wine & Food Society on 7 April of that year. One of the wines was “Cockburn Crusted, btld. 1938, Avery”.

User avatar
DRT
Fonseca 1966
Posts: 15015
Joined: 23:51 Wed 20 Jun 2007
Location: Chesterfield, UK
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by DRT » 08:26 Thu 08 Sep 2016

DRT wrote:As far as I am aware the Ck77 has never been sold by the producer. Some have been given away and a few of those might have reached the secondary market. The "Crusted" status is pretty meaningless in this instance as it is an unapproved VP that was bottled for consumption by the Cockburn Directors and their guests. It is my understanding that the Symngtons are holding to that long-established tradition.
Now reclassified as Vintage Port and sold on the open market so should be removed from this database if it was added.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"

Ernest H. Cockburn

Andy Velebil
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987
Posts: 2475
Joined: 22:16 Mon 25 Jun 2007
Location: Los Angeles, Ca USA
Contact:

Re: Crusted port database

Post by Andy Velebil » 14:31 Thu 08 Sep 2016

DRT wrote:
DRT wrote:As far as I am aware the Ck77 has never been sold by the producer. Some have been given away and a few of those might have reached the secondary market. The "Crusted" status is pretty meaningless in this instance as it is an unapproved VP that was bottled for consumption by the Cockburn Directors and their guests. It is my understanding that the Symngtons are holding to that long-established tradition.
Now reclassified as Vintage Port and sold on the open market so should be removed from this database if it was added.
Hmm, but it was originally approved and consumed (and given away) as a crusted. Only later did it become a VP. I'd suggest leaving it for the record with an "*" indicating its later re-written history.

And one pedantic addition, it was registered as a Crusted to hide it on the books from the parent company as they were instructed not to make a 1977 VP. Quite cleaver of them I must say.

jmrc
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 12
Joined: 16:48 Fri 20 Oct 2017

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jmrc » 01:12 Wed 08 Nov 2017

I don't see these in the database or posts I have read:
Churchill's Crusted 2005
Nieeport Crusted 2005

jmrc
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 12
Joined: 16:48 Fri 20 Oct 2017

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jmrc » 02:13 Wed 08 Nov 2017

My mistake in Niepoort date :oops: (not 2005, but 2011, 2012 and 2014). There is also Quevedo Crusted Port (no bottling date see in the label).

jmrc
Cheap Ruby
Posts: 12
Joined: 16:48 Fri 20 Oct 2017

Re: Crusted port database

Post by jmrc » 11:04 Fri 10 Nov 2017

Quevedo Crusted is bottled in 2012 - http://quevedoportwine.com/wp-content/u ... hSheet.pdf

Post Reply