TMS-Statler&Waldorf-BalconyBox.jpg
TMS-Statler&Waldorf-BalconyBox.jpg (16.31 KiB) Viewed 16494 times
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Port for sale at auction

Post by djewesbury »

:lol: That's priceless. I thought you were making multiple connections there with TMS but I realise it's not Test Match Special but the Muppet Show.
Or is that Boycott and Blofeld?
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
idj123
Morgan 1991

Re: Port for sale at auction

Post by idj123 »

Crikey, Statler and Waldorf are up late-in expectation of a hopeless cause at the TM I presume? In terms of Strakers, I would agree with Owen, that prices were on the big side (I ended up with a solitary lot of G85); the vesuvio at £155 plus plus VAT for example was materially more than the £140 (all in ) for the same lot at Bigwoods. This may in part be due to the presence of a certain individual from a Port retail site ' 'over bidding'. I probably need to undertake some analysis of which auctions are more likely to have the keenest prices-but then again, there's a number of variables to take into account; not least the presence of said chap.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

idj123 wrote:Crikey, Statler and Waldorf are up late-in expectation of a hopeless cause at the TM I presume? In terms of Strakers, I would agree with Owen, that prices were on the big side (I ended up with a solitary lot of G85); the vesuvio at £155 plus plus VAT for example was materially more than the £140 (all in ) for the same lot at Bigwoods. This may in part be due to the presence of a certain individual from a Port retail site ' 'over bidding'. I probably need to undertake some analysis of which auctions are more likely to have the keenest prices-but then again, there's a number of variables to take into account; not least the presence of said chap.
While watching Bonham's I noticed the port prices leap up after some very lacklustre bidding but also noticed that one ticket number snaffled most of the lots. Our friend has been busy; but similarly a lot of the auction lots have turned up again on bidforwine very quickly.
Daniel J.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Hart Davis Hart, 8th February, lots 983 to 986, each one dozen G85 in OWC.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

jdaw1 wrote:Hart Davis Hart, 8th February, lots 983 to 986, each one dozen G85 in OWC.
Yeah, saw those in their catalog. It's worth checking out the condition details on those lots.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

SushiNorth wrote:
jdaw1 wrote:Hart Davis Hart, 8th February, lots 983 to 986, each one dozen G85 in OWC.
Yeah, saw those in their catalog. It's worth checking out the condition details on those lots.
Indeed. Raised corks, signs of past seepage, and capsule corrosion abound.

Still might be worth a lowball bid. $600 all-in for a case of G85 is probably worth the risk on the lots with fewer raised corks.
Glenn Elliott
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Has anyone caught sight of the upcoming Sworders auction? 17 bottles of T45 in one lot with an estimate (over-estimate in my book) of betweek £5k-£7k! Did make my jaw drop a bit as I've not seen similar before. There are others in the same (albeit lesser) vein such as D45 and W45. if anyone's thinking about putting in bids on this auction (although not on these as they're beyond my reach unless as part of a co-operative?) then PM me so as to avoid competition.
forest26
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by forest26 »

Yes I was bidding - It was quite a collection and I have not seen such a gathering for a long time. For information the T45 went for £6400+commission for 15 bottles (not 17). The condition of the bottles was excellent. There was also W45, D45, Croft 45 and Feuerheerd 45.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

forest26 wrote:Yes I was bidding - It was quite a collection and I have not seen such a gathering for a long time. For information the T45 went for £6400+commission for 15 bottles (not 17). The condition of the bottles was excellent. There was also W45, D45, Croft 45 and Feuerheerd 45.
Hello forest26, and welcome. Please do introduce yourself in the Introductions section, so that we have some facts to hang on the “I”.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

forest26 wrote:Yes I was bidding.
Did you manage to bag anything?
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:
forest26 wrote:Yes I was bidding.
Did you manage to bag anything?
I heard it went to very high prices.
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

idj123 wrote:Has anyone caught sight of the upcoming Sworders auction?
djewesbury wrote: I heard it went to very high prices.
Hammer prices can be found here.
forest26

Post by forest26 »

I was the under bidder on the T45 - and have mixed feelings about bailing out! I did pick up a few of the other 45's and 55s. And the two bottles of Guimarens 47 which I am proud of.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

You have my admiration (not to mention my envy!) at securing these lots!
forest26

Post by forest26 »

Straker April 2014

Hi I spoke to some folks at the BFT who were thinking of bidding on some lots - if I remember correctly

Lot 282 F77 went at 780 to commission
Lot 313 ck67 went at 405 to a room bidder

I'll keep adding as the auction progresses.
forest26

Post by forest26 »

I think the other 2 were w70 and Churchill 85 - I had stepped out at that point, but hope you got them.

Overall impression was that some lots were going at reasonable prices in this one - I picked up F63 (UKB) and T94.
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by PhilW »

Just a guess, but the label on this bottle of Dow coming up soon at Charterhouse is probably not a genuine Symington label.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

PhilW wrote:Just a guess, but the label on this bottle of Dow coming up soon at Charterhouse is probably not a genuine Symington label.
Those labels were from the last year of Brewdog’s ownership of Silva & Cosens, which was sold to the Symingtons just after.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

I have just received, unsolicited, the strangest auction catalogue, sent to me via DHL from Hong Kong. It is the catalogue for the sale of wines from the collection of Alex Ferguson, in Hong Kong, London and online. I have never expressed an interest in this sale. DHL tried to deliver it about 4 times and were unsuccessful due to people in this household working. What an amazing cost to send me a fabulously glossy catalogue full of pictures of bottles that I could never afford, and lots of stuff about Manchester Utd that is of no interest to me. Strange indeed.
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:I have just received, unsolicited, the strangest auction catalogue, sent to me via DHL from Hong Kong. It is the catalogue for the sale of wines from the collection of Alex Ferguson, in Hong Kong, London and online. I have never expressed an interest in this sale. DHL tried to deliver it about 4 times and were unsuccessful due to people in this household working. What an amazing cost to send me a fabulously glossy catalogue full of pictures of bottles that I could never afford, and lots of stuff about Manchester Utd that is of no interest to me. Strange indeed.
From Christies. There is some port in the catalogue, so if you've ever bought port at Christies maybe they thought you would be interested. Or alternatively there has maybe been slack interest in Ferguson's collection and they are frantically mailing everyone on their list!
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:There is some port in the catalogue, so if you've ever bought port at Christies maybe they thought you would be interested.
I would understand this a little if there were port in the catalogue, but there isn't. In Hong Kong, London or online. There is a lot of splendid Bordeaux (2 cases of Beaucaillou online at £260-£300, Derek) and rather a lot of Romanée Conti La Tâche (did they drink that a lot at Old Trafford? Did Roy Keane like that with a prawn cocktail sandwich?) but there is no port.
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

There is definitely port in one of the Ferguson auctions. Must be the London one.

Edit: lots 9001 to 9008
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

flash_uk wrote:There is definitely port in one of the Ferguson auctions. Must be the London one.

Different auction. No such lot numbers in this catalogue, in HK, London or online.
Daniel J.
flash_uk
Graham’s 1977

Post by flash_uk »

djewesbury wrote:
flash_uk wrote:There is definitely port in one of the Ferguson auctions. Must be the London one.

Different auction. No such lot numbers in this catalogue, in HK, London or online.
This is the Christies one.