Port for sale at auction

Anything to do with Port.
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Re: Port for sale at auction

Post by djewesbury »

Go on, what was it? And Alex can tell us what it looked like.
Daniel J.
Husband of a relentless former Soviet Chess Master.
delete.. delete.. *sigh*.. delete...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

idj123 wrote:Mmm..I took a spur of the moment decision to secure one of the lots (on-line) at Charterhouse for £90-sounds like I shouldn't expect too much!!
Would that be the Niepoort 1952 colheita and a couple of other bottles which I forget? If so, that looked to be in decent nick.

Or the "A bottle of Smith Woodhouse Fine Crusted Port, 1978, another, and six other bottles of port"; that also looked to be OK.

Or one of the lots of 6 bottles of Vau, which after VAT and BP worked out to be a little under £22 per bottle. If you got one of those you did well as they were ex-wine merchant stock and appeared to have been properly looked after, just not popular with the punters. If I needed more port for current drinking I'd have bought soem of those.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
idj123
Morgan 1991

Post by idj123 »

Phew-it was the second of the two Alex mentions; the SW Crusted et al. This really was a bit of a punt as I had no idea what the other bottles were! I ignored the SV as I prefer these in DM format :D
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

The below Warre is not one i have heard of. I assume it's a typo or yet another example of auction house sloppiness.

https://onlineonly.christies.com/s/sign ... 225/12814/
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Warre produced Colhieta under the description "Special Reserve" in the 1960, primarily for the Danish and Dutch markets (I think). I have had the 1965 and would not be surprosed if there was a 1967.

The Symingtons have also produced a number of VPs in off-vintages for individual markets (Denmark in particular) that turn up from time to time.

1967 does not appear in the draft chapter of Wiseman & Turnbull's forthcoming Magnum Opus.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Post by djewesbury »

A magnum opus? Or will you be covering other bottle sizes too?
Daniel J.
DaveRL
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by DaveRL »

A Magnum Opus - is that a Tappit Hen?
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

It is a book or song written about reasonably sized bottles of Port.
Glenn Elliott
LGTrotter
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by LGTrotter »

Looking at Strakers list I am surprised at the estimates on the Dow 77. For a wine with such a reputation it seems rather excitable to be hoping for in excess of £50 a bottle for it. But it is coming up to Christmas which always makes auctioneers frisky.
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

It is not widely known that D77 can be problematic - if you read Broadbent's notes, there's no suggestion of any issues.

Coincidentally, I shall be opening one later today..

Edit: A lone bottle, part of a mixed auction lot acquired a while back was duly opened last night. Cork rock hard, indicative of several years upright storage, but wine unharmed, and free of VA.

Only issue is that it is still far too young - even at 37yrs, the tannins are furring my teeth...
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
djewesbury
Graham’s 1970

Port for sale at auction

Post by djewesbury »

Interesting lot of "illegal" port listed here.

(In fact, not port at all by the look of the labels: misdescribed Vinho Tinto.)
Daniel J.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Is anyone planning on attending Sworders sale on the 24th? There are a couple of bottles that I'd like to bid on but can't make the trip myself and would be grateful for a proxy to look at the bottles and to bid for me.

There are also some lots I'd be interested in splitting if anyone else has their eye on anything there.

uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I will be going to have a look on Monday 23rd, but won't be able to attend the auction itself as I have a VAT inspection that day.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

AHB wrote:Is anyone planning on attending Sworders sale on the 24th?
Usually I would be, but I won't make it this time due to work I'm afraid.
PopulusTremula
Warre’s Traditional LBV

Post by PopulusTremula »

Auktionsverket is doing another wine auction. Whilst the port on offer is not much to get excited about there is some old Madeira is listed which might trigger some interest, albeit it seems very keenly priced.

http://online.auktionsverket.se/auktion ... starkviner
LGTrotter

Post by LGTrotter »

I thought this worthy of a mention. I rather like that the people selling it are keeping 200 bottles back in case they get thirsty. Leaving a mere 40ish cases for sale.

http://www.decanter.com/wine-news/bonha ... on-286004/
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Interesting that it was shipped and bottled in 1966. I don't recall seeing a three-year bottling of F63.

Presumably we are all standing back to allow AHB to buy it all? :D
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:Interesting that it was shipped and bottled in 1966. I don't recall seeing a three-year bottling of F63.

Presumably we are all standing back to allow AHB to buy it all? :D
This is a character slur that I deeply resent. It is well known that I am not buying any more port as I have all that I am likely to need for the foreseeable future. I also have plenty of bottles of this for future reference.

However, more seriously, this is a port I really like and I have an academic curiosity to find out how this tastes compared to some of the other bottlings I have. If anyone is interested in sharing a case then please let me know.

Or if anyone would be interested in a case sampling @ £150 per person then this sale would also be an interesting opportunity...

DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

AHB wrote:Or if anyone would be interested in a case sampling @ £150 per person then this sale would also be an interesting opportunity...
Are you seriously suggesting that we should open an entire case of F63 between 12 people on a single evening? Splendid - I'm in!
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

The ‘character slur’ tasting: of course we’re in.

Alex: choose a date and start a thread. (But it could be more than a case sampling. A case, sure, but also some bottles from other bottlers.)
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

So perhaps four or six from this case plus four or six from two or one other cases?

Great idea.

This, the above two posts and any others of a similar nature to be moved to the organisation thread once AHB creates it.
Ernest H. Cockburn
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

I would like to join this case tasting too. (F63)

And I do not think we should split the case. DRT assisted with his life coach, AHB and me are more than enough people for this case. :nirvana: :pig:

Think as well that we want to serve this for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain
PhilW

Post by PhilW »

Perhaps we could approach Bonhams to persuade the sellers to let us purchase a case in advance at a suitable fair rate, in order to sample it prior to the auction; I imagine for a sale of this volume they will likely open a case themselves for potential bidders prior to the event for sampling themselves at full loss, so might well be happy with such a proposal. We could then open some/all of the bottles to share, and get a good indication of quality and bottle-variation to aid decision making on subsequent participation in the auction?
Doggett
Morgan 1991

Post by Doggett »

DRT wrote:
AHB wrote:Or if anyone would be interested in a case sampling @ £150 per person then this sale would also be an interesting opportunity...
Are you seriously suggesting that we should open an entire case of F63 between 12 people on a single evening? Splendid - I'm in!
Any updates on this wonderful idea? If it is going ahead and there is room I would like to join as the F63 is dfinitely in the top 2 ports I have ever enjoyed and I would like to try it again.

Simon
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

jdaw1 wrote:The ‘character slur’ tasting: of course we’re in.

Alex: choose a date and start a thread. (But it could be more than a case sampling. A case, sure, but also some bottles from other bottlers.)
Doggett wrote:
DRT wrote:
Any updates on this wonderful idea? If it is going ahead and there is room I would like to join as the F63 is definitely in the top 2 ports I have ever enjoyed and I would like to try it again.
Patience people, the auction is not until March. If / when a case is purchased I will start the appropriate threads.