Oh how things change - how naive I was when I wrote this.AHB wrote:I've played around with my spreadsheet a little more and come up with some more statistics.
96% of my port is vintage or SQVP, 2% is crusted and 2% is unfiltered LBV. I have one bottle each of colheita, ruby and tawny.
96% of my port containers are 750ml bottles. All of the remaining 4% are half bottles. I own no magnums (and can't really see this changing considering the way in which I store and drink port).
And on the "thirty-years for drinking rule", only 35% of my port would be ready for drinking. At my normal rate of consumption, that will last me just under 3 years. Yikes! I need to go shopping after Christmas!
Today, 2 years later, things are different and I have benefited from having been shopping. I am now down to only 93% of my port being vintage or SQVP thanks to the ludicrously cheap offers of Croft LBV that Tesco have made at Christmas in each of the last two years. This has boosted my LBV stocks to account for 5% of my port, Crusted is 2% and I have 2 bottles of Tawny with an indication of age, 3 bottles of Tawny with no indication of age, one bottle of white port, two bottles of ruby port and three bottles of colheita. All together, there are 358 different ports represented in my cellar. 88% of the corks in my cellar are in bottles, 9% are in half bottles, 3% are in magnums and there are 3 screw-capped bottles. 40% of my port is aged 30 years or more and I nearly have enough to keep me going for the rest of my days provided I don't increase the rate at which I drink! I just need to buy a few bottles each new release in case I have American visitors drop by to see me.