1871 Feuerheerd Vintage Port.

Anything to do with Port.
wayside304
Cruz Ruby

1871 Feuerheerd Vintage Port.

Post by wayside304 »

Hello, I am a new member.I would like any information on a 1871 Port Feuerheerd. I have in my possesion Bottled from cask in 1973. Regarded as a failure but best I have tasted. Origin. Family of Bernado Guedes da Silva of Quinta de Laureire Portugal. Anyone able to help ???. Peter Deacon.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1871 Feuerheerd Vintage Port.

Post by DRT »

Hi Peter,

Welcome to :tpf:

I have moved your post to the main port forum so that it attracts more attention from those who might be able to help you.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I am not familiar with that specific bottle. but, based on your description of it being bottled in 1973 I would have to say this is not a VIntage Port and is instead a Colheita. A Colheita is a single year tawny Port that is bottled after at least 7 years in oak...there is no maximum date they can be bottled. A Vintage Port must be bottled between the second and third year after harvesting the grapes.

Posting a small pic would also help out as seeing it sometimes sheds clues about it.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Feuerheerd was a German port shipping firm started in 1815. They have a reputation for normally making quite weak ports, but there are exceptions (1970, 1927).

There is another 1871 colheita port which recently came on to the market. This is sometimes called Quinta da Loureira or Cabral. I have never had this port, but I have read reports that it is a good, solid port but not a great port. If you liked this particular port then keep trying new ones because there are better ones for you to discover!

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
wayside304
Cruz Ruby

Post by wayside304 »

Andy V wrote:I am not familiar with that specific bottle. but, based on your description of it being bottled in 1973 I would have to say this is not a VIntage Port and is instead a Colheita. A Colheita is a single year tawny Port that is bottled after at least 7 years in oak...there is no maximum date they can be bottled. A Vintage Port must be bottled between the second and third year after harvesting the grapes.

Posting a small pic would also help out as seeing it sometimes sheds clues about it.
Thanks for the information. The Bottles have no markings and are green glass, The corks have a date of 1871, and i believe other writing, but have not opened one recently. A director of Christies wrote in 1978. " Mr Bernado Guedes da Silva's rather impressive document woukd not satisfy Portuguese authorities, though I must admit in all fairness I have tasted this wine and the colour, taste and smell is consistent with a wine of this age that has been kept in a cask for the time stated." There were also comments from two other persons published in "The Decantor "who agreed with Christies. regards Peter