101 things to do with a Vesuvio bin label..

Anything to do with Port.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

101 things to do with a Vesuvio bin label..

Post by uncle tom »

Every case of Vesuvio comes complete with a nice pottery bin label, neatly packed in it's own little black and white box..

..but how many people use bins for storing their bottles these days??

I have a stack of those little boxes in my cellar, and while I'm loathe to throw them away, I haven't a clue what to do with them...

..ideas please!!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

If you have sufficient space in that cellar of yours you could create a little Vesivio corner by building or buying a special rack comprised of those diamond shaped cells where you stack the bottles in an inverted pyramid. You could have one or more cell for each vintage and nail the ceramic bin labels to the top of each cell.

I think this would look more impressive than those stacks of wooden cases you have against the wall :wink:

Alternatively, if you have enough of them, you could mount them on a board in a regular pattern and fill the spaces between them with waterproof grout to form an attractive yet entirely impractical kitchen worksurface.

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Says the man with the Dodgey Tiles!

Dont suppose we could have a picture of these or a link to one on the net. I'm not quite following what they look like.
So my current advice would be earrings or abstract art.

Alan
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Alan,

I tried to source an image of one of these but I only have a 56k dial-up connection at the moment so couldn't get one quick enough and gave up.

The bin label is a ceramic tile which is the same shape, although slightly larger, than a Vesuvio bottle label. In fact, it's actually the other way round, the label is a paper version of a traditional ceramic bin label :?

The ceramic version has a whole in the top to allow it to be hung on a nail above the relevant Bin, a Bin being a space where you store wine bottles.

Does this help? If not - google Vesuvio and you will find an image of of a Vesuvio bottle and all will be clear.

Derek
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Vesuvio bin label photo please

Post by jdaw1 »

Please could we have a photo or two?
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: Vesuvio bin label photo please

Post by KillerB »

jdaw1 wrote:Please could we have a photo or two?
My sentiments exactly. How are we supposed to know what to do with them if you don't show us?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Dunno how to put pictures in a post, so check this avatar (until I restore Beaker!)

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Tom,

Sticking pictures in a post couldn't be easier. You send the pictiure to me and say, Derek, can you post this on TPF? :lol:

What you really need to do is open an account with http://www.flickr.com and upload some pictures there. Once you have done that ask "what do I do next?" or give me a call and I'll explain.

Derek
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Are they pottery? Cwikey, errrmm... yeah, build a structure with them. Submit it to the MoMA in New York and it will be fawned over by men with ear-rings and women in suits and ties - could be profitable.

Call it "Vesuvio Erupting" or something, they will think it's genius.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yip, they are pottery, glazed like ceramic tiles and weigh more than their spacial presence suggests.

No coincidence thatb they started producing them at the same time US port sales hit the roof :roll:

A complete waste of money in my view, just like the wooden box with brass hinges. Give us £10 off the price of a case and we will all be happy to do without the gimics 88)

Derek
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Repaint them green, and have them inscribed with Billy Smarts Circus on them. Then resell them as Circus Keepsakes.

See, you guys skirt around the edges whilst I go straight for the Juggler!!! :D

Alan

(That was a circus joke!)
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Give us £10 off the price of a case
Better still, give us a case of 8 for the same money - packed in high class brown corrugated cardboard of course..

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Good call, Tom, but the next time you see Vesuvio at £5 per bottle can you let me know :?

Derek
Jay P
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by Jay P »

Derek T. wrote: No coincidence thatb they started producing them at the same time US port sales hit the roof :roll:

Derek
Now Derek, after all it is an industry run by Brits, primarily for Brits, and Vesuvio is run by Brits (or expatriates anyways). So clearly the boxs and the ceramics are aimed at .....well.....Brits! And where did most of the Vesuvio end up?? :?
Better things for better living through chemistry
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Derek,

Given that only a tiny fraction of Vesuvio's production gets bottled as QdoV, they are not exactly short of supply.

I'll wager that the cost of making the case and it's trappings is a lot more than the cost of producing two extra bottles!

Tom
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

uncle tom wrote:I'll wager that the cost of making the case and it's trappings is a lot more than the cost of producing two extra bottles!
But, as we know, cost of production often doesn't have a direct link to retail price :roll: - I'm sure if shippers sold their VP at cost + a standard profit margin we would all be very happy :wink:

Derek
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Well yes, but wine is not a standard commodity. Reputations are build and sustained. If all they did was cost + reasonable profit, all would be about the same price and we'd all be drinking Nacional all the time. This would take away the variety as we simply wouldn't buy lesser Ports. We'd end up like the rappers drinking Cristal and Dom but not know what the equivalent of Louis Roderer and Moet NV. It would be dull but cheaper.

Bloody Scots :P
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I wasn't advocating level pricing, just explaining that because the cost of producing the box and bin label is more than the cost of producing 2 bottles of Vesuvio VP doesn't mean that the value assigned to each by the shipper would be the same.

Derek

Bloody English :?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Derek T. wrote:I wasn't advocating level pricing
Who are you anyway? KillerB, Admin or Treacle? I think Admin should be banned from everywhere except Site Stuff

Derek
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

That's why I deleted it. I'm trying to keep admin as admin but keep forgetting to log off and on.

Now I have to go back again to fix one of your problems - doh!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Sorry for staying off thread (and feel free to delete our ramblings) but can't you run 2 IE sessions simultaneously and be logged in as KillerB on one and Admin on the other?
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

I've tried that but it seems to log me out of the other session. I have managed it with one IE and one Firefox, which is OK but Firefox doesn't seem to like phpBB. And I still forget to switch anyway.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

And coming back to the original point, there's always the option to sell them on ebay - but rarely does anyone buy them.

I must confess that I have one of each on my wall as decoration and the rest have been scattered around the garden with plant names written on the back in indelible ink. There they are very, very slowly eroding away.

But I strongly defend Vesuvio's business decision to sell their bottles in an expensive box with an almost pointless bin label included as part of the package. It puts their selling price up and so persuades more people not to buy the wine allowing me to get my hands on more of the stuff.

And my CDs and garage tools would not look anything like as nice in cheap cardboard boxes as they do in empty Vesuvio boxes. (Vesuvio boxes also make great display containers for old wine corks.....)

I will clearly be forced to continue in this "new place" my one man crusade to prevent Vesuvio from becoming just another port producer. Long do I hope Vesuvio differentiate themselves from "the rest" by not only bottling excellent port but also continuing to sell it in slightly different ways.

But bear in mind that this post is written by the man who paid £700 for 8 bottles of Vesuvio so that he could get his hands on the box they came in!!

Alex
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Firefox is fine with phpBB.

Post by jdaw1 »

Firefox is fine with phpBB. I have used only Firefox on this BB—both Mac and PC.

Each browser has a single cookie cache, covering all open windows and tabs. So any one application can be only one ID.
KillerB

Post by KillerB »

Actually I'm on Firefox now and it's behaving. I think that it's my version of Windows (2000 SP4) that causes me all the problems.