2006 Declarations

Anything to do with Port.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

I have visti Qta. de Seara d Ordens in sept. 07

It`s 3 brothers running the old quinta, overtaking it from there father, and they are running the qta. in the fathers spirit.

many of the labels there in a drawing of there father

They have a guest house, own church, and football fields for all the kids.

very nice place, and nice people.
We had a 6 hours tasting and show around the Qta.
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

St George’s day is today.

Post by jdaw1 »

St George’s day is today.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: St George’s day is today.

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:St George’s day is today.
Happy St George's Day to all our English chums.

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

For a german mind: what happened on St. Georges day and why is it important to you guys?

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel P wrote:For a german mind: what happened on St. Georges day and why is it important to you guys?
From a Scottish mind: I think he went to the Euro 1036 Football Tournament in Germania, got drunk on Pilsner and smashed up the local pub in a fight with his best mate :shock: :roll: - times haven't changed much since :lol: :lol:

Derek

PS: It is important because it is the day that all British shippers declare their new Vintages - it has no other importance whatsoever as far as I can determine.
Ernest H. Cockburn
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Axel P wrote:For a german mind: what happened on St. Georges day and why is it important to you guys?

Axel
On this day St George killed a dragon: Wales.
Port is basically a red drink
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I've just taken a quick look at the Taylor, Croft, Fonseca, Graham, Warre, Smith Woodhouse, Roriz, Martinez, Niepoort and Noval. None mention any vintages to be released from 2006.

I've got to say, the Symington web sites are pretty poor. They look quite flashy but they have very little content - although the Vintage Port Site is now much better than it was and has an interesting narrative on the weather conditions around the Douro.

I note that on each of the last two years (2007, 2006), Fonseca and Taylor both issued press releases stating that they would be releasing a vintage port (FG or SQ from 2005 or 2004 respectively). This year their website news sections are conspicuously quiet.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I also couldn't find any information on their websites. But SQ declarations are often made a bit later than St. Georges day. I guess they only take pride in obeying to the ritual if the real thing is declared.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

I am really stressed for time at the moment, so I have not read this thread to be honest. So if this information is a repeat, I apologize.

I've just returned from 9 days in Portugal and visited with many in Gaia Lodges and at Quintas in the Douro. I have tasted a number of 2006 and 2007s and will try to get back to provide more insight. But I saw the title and did want to mention that the best of the 2006s that we tried along the way, was the Quinta do Vesuvio.

I highly recommend the 2006 Vesuvio and my comment to Peter Symington who produced it, was that it was very similar in style to what I remember of cask samples of the 1996 Vesuvio. He thought about that for a moment and smiled. Anyway, it was the best of the 2006s I have tasted to date and it seems that TFP will not be making any SQVPs from this vintage, at least not for commercial release. Others along our travels said the same thing, with very few exceptions.

Best regards to you all!

Roy
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Vesuvio 2006

Post by jdaw1 »

Thank you for the recommendation — despite the dodgy feet that were in it. One daughter + one nephew ⇒ two dozen V06s for me please. When others see these for sale please let me know.
Frederick Blais
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Frederick Blais »

SimonSaysDrink wrote:Granted, this probably should go under a different headliner, but the theme is relevant: Niepoort decided to forego their renowned dry wines 'Batuta' and 'Charme' bottlings for 2006 as well. Apparently quality was a bit evasive in 2006, something I detected amongst many Douro wines at ProWein a few weeks back. Shucks. :?
In February when I visited Niepoort, they had no plan to bottle Charme and Batuta. In April when Dirk visited me, he said he'll probably do Charme, quantity will be less than usual but it will be good.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 2006 Declarations

Post by DRT »

DRT wrote:Please use this thread to post any information you find on 2006 VP decalrations in the coming few weeks.

I have made this post a Sticky so that you can find it at the top of the Forum but once most or all of the houses have played their 2006 cards it will return to being a normal thread and end up in the mix with the rest of the threads here.

Thanks

Derek
Un-stickified.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

I am waiting for the 2006 Vesuvio, soley becuase my ugly toe-jam was knee deep in those grapes. So I will buy some just for the sentimental value. But since my toes were in it, not sure I'll ever drink them :wink: :lol:
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy V wrote:I am waiting for the 2006 Vesuvio, soley becuase my ugly toe-jam was knee deep in those grapes. So I will buy some just for the sentimental value. But since my toes were in it, not sure I'll ever drink them :wink: :lol:
Same for me. But I think I'll wait a few years and pick them up for half the release price :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:
Andy V wrote:I am waiting for the 2006 Vesuvio, soley becuase my ugly toe-jam was knee deep in those grapes. So I will buy some just for the sentimental value. But since my toes were in it, not sure I'll ever drink them :wink: :lol:
Same for me. But I think I'll wait a few years and pick them up for half the release price :wink:
Yeah no kidding. but I will buy some on release anyways...don't want that toe jam to be spoiled by unknown storage conditions during those few years.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Andy V wrote:
DRT wrote:
Yeah no kidding. but I will buy some on release anyways...don't want that toe jam to be spoiled by unknown storage conditions during those few years.
I'll just wait and buy some off AHB - he's no doubt bagged half the production for himself and added it to his Mr Vesuvio stash :lol: :lol:
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

I need two dozen V06 (offspring+nephew)

Post by jdaw1 »

I need two dozen V06 (offspring+nephew): is there yet a price?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: I need two dozen V06 (offspring+nephew)

Post by Andy Velebil »

jdaw1 wrote:I need two dozen V06 (offspring+nephew): is there yet a price?
I have yet to hear of any Pre-arrival prices. But I would guess it will most likely be put out for sale early next year.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

http://www.wine-searcher.com reveals one retailer here who is advertising it at the ludicrous price of 69 Euro per bottle plus tax. Given that there is only one retailer showing up it is unlikely that they actually have any.

I would be surprised if they release it early next year if 2007 is a general declaration as the market will be flooded with expensive port that will be difficult to sell.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

DRT wrote:www.wine-searcher.com reveals one retailer here who is advertising it at the ludicrous price of 69 Euro per bottle plus tax. Given that there is only one retailer showing up it is unlikely that they actually have any.

I would be surprised if they release it early next year if 2007 is a general declaration as the market will be flooded with expensive port that will be difficult to sell.
I'd say he's trying to cash in on some unsuspecting buyers...69 Euro is outrageous.

The 2007's, wouldn't be released until very late in 2009 at the earliest. As they won't be legally allowed to even be bottled until around harvest time of next year. Then shipping, import, etc. Realistically they probably won't be offered until early 2010. The 2006 Vesuvio would be released a full year before that, so plenty of time.

I'm curious to see what they do sell it for. The past recent vintages here have sold for between $45-60 USD. I'm wondering if they will raise prices, lower prices, only release a small percentage and hold back others for later release? 2006 wasn't the best of years, so they would benefit from not jacking the price up too high for a mediocre vintage.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I generally agree with what Andy says unless 2007 turns out to be a general declaration. If it does, you can expect a number of the shippers to offer their 2007 ports on an "en primeur" basis, with prices being released in late spring 2009. This could potentially clash with the general release of the 2006 single quinta ports.

Time will tell. Either way I'll be happy. I'm planning on buying current release ports for a good few years yet.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

Lay & Wheeler have them for 183/6
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

ajfeather wrote:

Ooooh: not cheap.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:
ajfeather wrote:

Ooooh: not cheap.
I would strongly advise waiting at least two years before buying any 2006. By then the hugely over-priced 2006 and 2007 wines will be lingering unsold on the wine merchant's lists and if either of these is a prime candidate for a price slash it's the 2006 as its younger brother is likely to be a far superior wine.
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

I would strongly advise waiting at least two years before buying any 2006
History shows that when the economies of the principal markets catch a cold, the fine wine trade gets pneumonia.

There is also very little evidence that the Sym's have actually sold much Vesuvio from 1999, 2001, 2004 & 2005; and probably not that much 2003. There seems to be a fair amount of 2000 around, and also the vintages from 1991 to 1998

I don't know if they've scaled back their production since the mid nineties, but if not, they must be swimming in the stuff by now.

Ultimately the stock has to be sold, and the market will set the price..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill