Page 52 of 57

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 18:57 Thu 26 Mar 2015
by djewesbury
Exactly. Half of this purchase was planned, but it wasn't the port!

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 21:00 Thu 26 Mar 2015
by LGTrotter
djewesbury wrote:6 Roriz 00 from BBX.
I have been staring longingly at this one too. It's a great big lovely thing which will grow in magnificence as we become dotards. Good buy.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 21:19 Thu 26 Mar 2015
by djewesbury
LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:6 Roriz 00 from BBX.
I have been staring longingly at this one too. It's a great big lovely thing which will grow in magnificence as we become dotards. Good buy.
It was a bit of a steal. There's more left whenever you feel flush. For me it was an act of payday bravery.
I also got another 3 Mz94 for 25 a pop from Seckford's. Added to the 4 I have already, I am now well on the way to owning a case of it, as I explained to James Maitland.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 21:25 Thu 26 Mar 2015
by LGTrotter
djewesbury wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:
djewesbury wrote:6 Roriz 00 from BBX.
I have been staring longingly at this one too. It's a great big lovely thing which will grow in magnificence as we become dotards. Good buy.
It was a bit of a steal. There's more left whenever you feel flush. For me it was an act of payday bravery.
I also got another 3 Mz94 for 25 a pop from Seckford's. Added to the 4 I have already, I am now well on the way to owning a case of it, as I explained to James Maitland.
I wanted to moan about Berry's only having five vintage ports listed (yes there are others via the broking thing, BBX), but five proper ports seems lame. Down with that sort of thing!

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 21:28 Thu 26 Mar 2015
by djewesbury
It's very bad form. One would almost have to think of shopping elsewhere.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 14:12 Fri 27 Mar 2015
by idj123
djewesbury wrote:I also got another 3 Mz94 for 25 a pop from Seckford's. Added to the 4 I have already, I am now well on the way to owning a case of it, as I explained to James Maitland.
So you're the one who keeps availing themselves of these! I have kept meaning to buy (£30 each I guess, inc VAT?) but never pressed the button-more because as you imply, Seckords want at least 6 in a case to store with them.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 17:25 Fri 27 Mar 2015
by djewesbury
idj123 wrote:
djewesbury wrote:I also got another 3 Mz94 for 25 a pop from Seckford's. Added to the 4 I have already, I am now well on the way to owning a case of it, as I explained to James Maitland.
So you're the one who keeps availing themselves of these! I have kept meaning to buy (£30 each I guess, inc VAT?) but never pressed the button-more because as you imply, Seckords want at least 6 in a case to store with them.
If you're buying them from Seckford's they'll happily store them for you. My first four have been sitting there for a while. And the latest three have been transferred today.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 19:56 Fri 27 Mar 2015
by AHB
My latest purchase was 9 bottles of Gruard Larose 1983 to replace the Talbot 1983 I have nearly finished.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 02:00 Sat 28 Mar 2015
by TLW
12 1994 Taylor
12 1994 Dow
12 1991 Dow
12 1991 Guimarens
6 1996 Vesuvio
6 1995 Vesuvio

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 18:02 Sat 04 Apr 2015
by gerwin.degraaf
2x 1974 Kopke Colheita (bottled 2004)
1x 1977 Kopke Vintage
1x 1989 Borges & Irmao Vintage

Both were 2-bottle lots at auction last weekend.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 13:32 Sat 11 Apr 2015
by LGTrotter
Just nipped into Tesco and saw they had their 25% offer on, bought four bottles of 1994 BOB and two 2003 Vau and all for a hundred quid.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 13:35 Sat 11 Apr 2015
by flash_uk
LGTrotter wrote:Just nipped into Tesco and saw they had their 25% offer on, bought four bottles of 1994 BOB and two 2003 Vau and all for a hundred quid.
I've never tried the Vau 2003 - is it any good? My local Tesco store has started stocking the BOB 1997 rather than the 1994.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 14:19 Sat 11 Apr 2015
by Andy Velebil
LGTrotter wrote:Just nipped into Tesco and saw they had their 25% offer on, bought four bottles of 1994 BOB and two 2003 Vau and all for a hundred quid.
who makes the BOB?

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 14:23 Sat 11 Apr 2015
by DRT
Andy Velebil wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:Just nipped into Tesco and saw they had their 25% offer on, bought four bottles of 1994 BOB and two 2003 Vau and all for a hundred quid.
who makes the BOB?
SFE - this is the one that was at one time identified as QH but might now be from a different blend.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 16:41 Sat 11 Apr 2015
by LGTrotter
flash_uk wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:Just nipped into Tesco and saw they had their 25% offer on, bought four bottles of 1994 BOB and two 2003 Vau and all for a hundred quid.
I've never tried the Vau 2003 - is it any good? My local Tesco store has started stocking the BOB 1997 rather than the 1994.
I've no idea as I have never had it either, but at £22 and change a bottle less 25% I thought it worth a punt. I liked other vintages of this I tried but have never quite worked out why this is an early maturing vintage port, seems just like most other vintage port.

I am a bit horrified that the 94 is coming to an end, as all good things seem to.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 18:26 Sat 11 Apr 2015
by AW77
6 x 2011 Niepoort Crusted
I bought a bottle each time I did my weekly shopping at the civilised supermarket. I will continue to do so until they run out of stock.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 09:23 Sun 12 Apr 2015
by griff
AHB wrote:My latest purchase was 9 bottles of Gruard Larose 1983 to replace the Talbot 1983 I have nearly finished.

Oh, a consistently good drop from splits a decade ago. No doubt that, in full bottles and from UK storage, it should serve as a more than worthy replacement.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 09:32 Mon 13 Apr 2015
by DaveRL
LGTrotter wrote:
flash_uk wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:Just nipped into Tesco and saw they had their 25% offer on, bought four bottles of 1994 BOB and two 2003 Vau and all for a hundred quid.
I've never tried the Vau 2003 - is it any good? My local Tesco store has started stocking the BOB 1997 rather than the 1994.
I've no idea as I have never had it either, but at £22 and change a bottle less 25% I thought it worth a punt. I liked other vintages of this I tried but have never quite worked out why this is an early maturing vintage port, seems just like most other vintage port.

I am a bit horrified that the 94 is coming to an end, as all good things seem to.
The Vau looked too good to miss - I bought 6 a couple of months ago from the website. I have been keeping my sticky fingers off it as I can't see it being ready, but want to know what it tastes like. #dilemma. (That "#" may not pass the Grammar Police, but a little Monday morning controversy never hurts).

I bought some (well, OK, enough) Tesco BOB '94 this time around, and will send it to Seckford's. I feared the supply must come to an end soon. As there is a suggestion that early and late examples of '94 are different, perhaps some early examples of Tesco '97 could be bought, with a view to comparing it to late '97 as an experiment? But perhaps the '97 will not be worth having, and the '94 supplies must last until the '00 comes out...

I suspect (hope) that buying in mild winter months from Tesco Wine Direct limits Tesco's ability to mishandle the wine on it's delivery route from Porto to me. Any thoughts?

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 11:38 Mon 13 Apr 2015
by richmills
A brace of Taylor '77. I know the reputation for problems 77 has but I've really enjoyed most of the T77 I've had and I'm hoping my good luck continues.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 18:14 Mon 13 Apr 2015
by LGTrotter
DaveRL wrote:The Vau looked too good to miss - I bought 6 a couple of months ago from the website. I have been keeping my sticky fingers off it as I can't see it being ready, but want to know what it tastes like. #dilemma. (That "#" may not pass the Grammar Police, but a little Monday morning controversy never hurts).

I bought some (well, OK, enough) Tesco BOB '94 this time around, and will send it to Seckford's. I feared the supply must come to an end soon. As there is a suggestion that early and late examples of '94 are different, perhaps some early examples of Tesco '97 could be bought, with a view to comparing it to late '97 as an experiment? But perhaps the '97 will not be worth having, and the '94 supplies must last until the '00 comes out...

I suspect (hope) that buying in mild winter months from Tesco Wine Direct limits Tesco's ability to mishandle the wine on it's delivery route from Porto to me. Any thoughts?
I think of little else but Tesco's delivery chain. I think you are right to buy in winter months as it seems to me this gives less chance for Tesco to deliver something which tastes boiled. Incidentally I have a theory that some of the rather stewed bottles which have appeared in the tasting notes are as a result of shoddy handling in the supply chain.

The 97 will presumably be at about the same price as the 94 and I would always favour the 94 over the 97 but at £15 a bottle (on offer) it would still represent a bargain whichever vintage it came from.

#nodilemma; leave it as long as you can, but if you can't wait, so what? I was only £18.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 09:04 Tue 14 Apr 2015
by DaveRL
LGTrotter wrote:Incidentally I have a theory that some of the rather stewed bottles which have appeared in the tasting notes are as a result of shoddy handling in the supply chain.
I'm pretty sure you are right. I shudder to think of pallets of wine cooking in the hot sun waiting to be offloaded/moved by highly trained and dedicated supermarket staff. Or chimps on a tea break.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 13:34 Tue 14 Apr 2015
by AHB
LGTrotter wrote:I think of little else but Tesco's delivery chain. I think you are right to buy in winter months as it seems to me this gives less chance for Tesco to deliver something which tastes boiled. Incidentally I have a theory that some of the rather stewed bottles which have appeared in the tasting notes are as a result of shoddy handling in the supply chain.
I had always assumed that the 1994 vintage was bought as one (or perhaps 2 or 3) large parcel, shipped to the UK and then stored in Tesco's own warehouse. One of the benefits that SFE would get with a deal like this would be some clear cellar space, ready for the next vintage.

The condition of the bottles - and I agree that they are variable and some are quite stewed - would then be entirely down to Tesco's ability to store and transport port properly. Perhaps the moral of the story is to buy only when the new vintage first appears on the shelf and so is as freshly removed from the VNdG cellars as possible.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 13:48 Tue 14 Apr 2015
by flash_uk
AHB wrote:
LGTrotter wrote:I think of little else but Tesco's delivery chain. I think you are right to buy in winter months as it seems to me this gives less chance for Tesco to deliver something which tastes boiled. Incidentally I have a theory that some of the rather stewed bottles which have appeared in the tasting notes are as a result of shoddy handling in the supply chain.
I had always assumed that the 1994 vintage was bought as one (or perhaps 2 or 3) large parcel, shipped to the UK and then stored in Tesco's own warehouse. One of the benefits that SFE would get with a deal like this would be some clear cellar space, ready for the next vintage.

The condition of the bottles - and I agree that they are variable and some are quite stewed - would then be entirely down to Tesco's ability to store and transport port properly. Perhaps the moral of the story is to buy only when the new vintage first appears on the shelf and so is as freshly removed from the VNdG cellars as possible.
I'd be surprised if Tesco did this. They tend to want to minimise inventory (and the need for warehouse space), and so would prefer to have regular smaller shipments.

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 01:57 Fri 17 Apr 2015
by Martin Peeters
Three times Dalva Vintage 2007 for € 24,36 the bottle. I am pleased :wink:

Martin

Re: Latest buy

Posted: 18:51 Fri 17 Apr 2015
by LGTrotter
Another half dozen of the Tesco 94, still on offer (25% off). Panic buying on account of the 97 being spotted.