A Question of Label Differences

Anything to do with Port.
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

A Question of Label Differences

Post by slateshalehead »

Perhaps a novice question, so forgive the ignorance...

WineBid currently has three bottles of 1985 Taylor on offer. Two have the label I've seen before, with a Kobrand import note: https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/7618194 and https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/7618195. The third has a completely different label, without an importer note: https://www.winebid.com/BuyWine/Item/7618196.

Was the one with a different label originally destined for the British market, whereas the other two were always in the American market? Or is there another difference I'm missing?
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Re: A Question of Label Differences

Post by winesecretary »

This is not a complete answer, but the labels all say 'Porto' so all intended for the US market ab initio. The UK ones call it 'Port'.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

It's a gray market bottle. Imported by someone else most likely. Or it was a late release and the importer info is on the back.

Regardless, those all look like they have been in a flood with the water damage to labels. From time to time, insurance bottles tend to show up. I'd be wary of them.

Edit, the more I look at the labels, the last one is a late release. The label is a more modern version of it.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: RE: Re: A Question of Label Differences

Post by JacobH »

Andy Velebil wrote:Edit, the more I look at the labels, the last one is a late release. The label is a more modern version of it.
That's a good point but I can't see any vintages after the 1985 that have those old style labels. I guess it might only have "late" in the sense of a second batch released in 1987 if that's when they made the change.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

JacobH wrote:
Andy Velebil wrote:Edit, the more I look at the labels, the last one is a late release. The label is a more modern version of it.
That's a good point but I can't see any vintages after the 1985 that have those old style labels. I guess it might only have "late" in the sense of a second batch released in 1987 if that's when they made the change.
That label was ~mid 1990’s. Give or take a little bit, the last bottle was released about a decade later.
forest26
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by forest26 »

The last one is a later release of stock from TFP. They were certainly available in the UK up until the end of last year - when stocks sold out.