What was your first vintage?

Anything to do with Port.
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

What was your first vintage?

Post by slateshalehead »

I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's first taste of vintage port was, and what they would choose now if introducing someone to vintage port for the first time.

For me, my first (good) taste of vintage port was a 2005 Croft Quinta da Roeda last year during my honeymoon in the Douro. I previously had a very bad experience with an unlabeled interwar-era (maybe 1930s) bottle that from the looks of it had spoiled long before I was born, but I don't count that! With my limited experience, I don't think I could properly introduce someone to vintage ports (without the tasting notes here on :tpf: that is!)
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: What was your first vintage?

Post by uncle tom »

Xmas 1977 (I think)

Invited to a drinks party, a bottle of 1917 port had been decanted (I don't know which shipper)
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
richmills
Warre’s Warrior

Post by richmills »

Sometime in the summer of 2010, it was a Graham 1977.

I'd still pick any of the 77s as an introduction today.
akzy
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by akzy »

I think my first proper taste (of a VP) was Cockburn 2011 about 4 years ago at the lodge in Porto. Absolutely beautiful stuff.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Also see Your first vintage port(s), and My way towards my first vintage. Also:
jdaw1 wrote: 13:39 Wed 19 Mar 2014
Oxford_Best wrote:I did not realise Oxbridge colleges have such a reputation amongst vintage port lovers.
My first taste of Port was at my matriculation dinner (Queens’, maths, matric. ’87). I was hooked.
I did not record what it was, but from later knowledge of what was in the cellar, suspect Taylor 1970.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

1967 Cockburn, consumed 2 June 1987 (my 14th birthday). courtesy of my father. My mother did not approve of buying a 14-year-old bottles of port. The 14-year-old, however, did. Then there was some Warre 1970 at the school wine club in spring 1991. Lovely then, lovely now. I'd be tempted to serve the latter to a port newbie, now, if I wanted them to be seduced by port. Or, more sensibly, the Warre 1983 or Graham 1985 or Fonseca 1985.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

1966 Taylor’s VP. And then I was off and running with no turning back...
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

1963 Taylor's in 1984, when it was opened at the end of my 21st birthday dinner. I was given a case (long since drunk) of the same Port as a birthday present.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

No idea what my first taste was, but the first memorable bottle was in the mid 1990s. Xmas present of a Dow 1970 from the cellar of my employer at the time.

Think his would be a good recommendation now.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I can't remember for sure what my first VP ever was, but my first "aged" VP was a 1983 Warre. I still have the bottle on my trophy shelf, though as I recall I wasn't terribly impressed by the Port. It is also possible that the Warre was in fact my first ever VP, I just don't remember for sure. That would have been between 2004 when I first drank Port (Porto Rocha 20 Year Old Tawny Port) and 2007 when I had...

My first "old" VP was a 1963 Fonseca which I carried to Kansas City and opened for my family for Thanksgiving. Off the top of my head I think that must have been 2007, because the bottle is positioned "older" on my trophy shelf relative to the bottles I saved from the Old & Odd in New York City on November 7, 2008.
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I’m also not sure what mine was. The first that I bought was very likely to be a Taylor’s Quinta de Vargellas, probably 1996, which was the standard quality Port when I was a student. We also drank a bit of the Terra Feita and the 1998 vintages from both Quintas. The first bottle of proper VP I bought was a bottle of Warre 1997 which I still haven’t drunk!

Most of the colleges seemed to have stopped serving VP to students by the time I was an undergraduate. I think they all had their own-brand Ruby Reserve Ports of varying quality. I shouldn’t be snobbish about them since it was drinking these that got me into Port into the first place.

I have no idea what the first classic VP was. It may have been following a King’s College founders’ day dinner where I was playing in an orchestra that accompanied the choir (under the direction of the Stephen Cleobury, RIP). For the attendees it had been quite a boozy day so that they didn’t drink very much Port after dinner. I think it must have been a VP considering the occasion and the other expense. The reason I say “must have been” is that I, and a friend, gathered together all of the decanters from the other tables at the end of the dinner and polished them off and so don’t remember too much!

If I were to introduce someone today to Vintage Port, I’d probably point them in the direction of either the Fonseca Guimaraens of Taylor Quinta de Vargellas: both reliably high quality Ports which are readily available at a modest price.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote: 11:38 Wed 02 Sep 2020I, and a friend, gathered together all of the decanters from the other tables at the end of the dinner and polished them off and so don’t remember too much!
Magnificent.
CPR 1
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by CPR 1 »

1970 Taylor drunk in the mid 90’s. My Grandfather bought a significant parcel and passed it down to my farther and we enjoyed it every Christmas.

If I was introducing someone today I would go for one of the 94’s like Graham, Warre or Dow. These are a similar age now as to when I tried the T70 and I have found people like plenty of fruit when first sampling which these have.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: RE: Re: What was your first vintage?

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:
JacobH wrote: 11:38 Wed 02 Sep 2020I, and a friend, gathered together all of the decanters from the other tables at the end of the dinner and polished them off and so don’t remember too much!
Magnificent.
Strangely that is exactly the adjective I'd use to describe the handover the next day... I'm still not quite sure how I made it back to my college with the double bass in one piece. (Looking back on it, incidents like this make me glad that we didn't have digital cameras on mobile phones as they do now!).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

CPR 1 wrote: 20:17 Wed 02 Sep 2020If I was introducing someone today I would go for one of the 94’s like Graham, Warre or Dow. These are a similar age now as to when I tried the T70 and I have found people like plenty of fruit when first sampling which these have.
Good observation about the fruit. My first, T70 in 1987, was young enough to have lots of fruit. And I still like fruit.
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by slateshalehead »

jdaw1 wrote: 17:43 Wed 02 Sep 2020
Magnificent.
This sounds all too familiar of my Christ Church Christmas meal, between the leftover decants of port and a few single malts there was much fun had by all
slateshalehead
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by slateshalehead »

jdaw1 wrote: 18:58 Mon 31 Aug 2020 Also see Your first vintage port(s), and My way towards my first vintage. Also:
jdaw1 wrote: 13:39 Wed 19 Mar 2014
Oxford_Best wrote:I did not realise Oxbridge colleges have such a reputation amongst vintage port lovers.
My first taste of Port was at my matriculation dinner (Queens’, maths, matric. ’87). I was hooked.
I did not record what it was, but from later knowledge of what was in the cellar, suspect Taylor 1970.
Thank you for the suggested threads - I hadn't found them previously!
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

For me it was a Fonseca 1977. It had the typical big paint marks on the bottle. It was early 90s and I was little experienced, so I told the importer about the appearance of he bottle and he appologised & sent me a new one, which totally looked alike.

Great Port though and a fantastic start into the world of Vintage Port
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

AHB wrote: 12:44 Tue 01 Sep 2020 1963 Taylor's in 1984, when it was opened at the end of my 21st birthday dinner. I was given a case (long since drunk) of the same Port as a birthday present.
In my next life I need to be born on the island.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com