Fonseca Setubal Superior 1927

Anything to do with Port.
Ens
Cruz Ruby

Post by Ens »

Slightly off topic and delete if inappropriate but a friend has offered me a bottle of the Portuguese fortified wine Fonseca Setubal Superior of 1927. I know nothing about Sebubal wines. I know Fonseca 1927 port (which I have not tasted) is an absolute classic and worth a small fortune but any views on the Fonseca Setubal Superior 1927?
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Totally different companies. They are not related in any way. One company makes port in the Douro. One makes Setubal down south of Lisbon.

I’ve not had that old of one but some of their other older things I’ve had are quite good.
Ens
Cruz Ruby

Re: Fonseca Setubal Superior 1927

Post by Ens »

Thank you for your comments- very interesting and helpful. Does setubal you have tasted taste anything like port and given its age would it auctually be drinkable do you think? Believe it is fortified and similar alcohol content. I had never heard of it beftor and there is nothing much i can find on the internet about Setabal- very little in UK I think?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: Fonseca Setubal Superior 1927

Post by DRT »

This is the company that made the wine you are asking about: José Maria da Fonseca

The wine is made from the Muscatel grape, which gives it a waxy characteristic quite unlike most Port. That said, Niepoort make (or did make?) a Muscatel Port as it is a permitted grape variety in the the Douro region.

Most Port from 1927 is still excellent and probably all of it is drinkable if it has been properly stored. Given the alcohol content of the Sebutal I see no reason why it will not have survived to be drinkable provided it has been properly stored throughout its 93 years.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn