Port Vintages: Addendum

Anything to do with Port.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Re: Port Vintages: Addendum

Post by nac »

DRT wrote: 21:54 Wed 21 Oct 2020 This is JDAW's previously published work. The books about pigs and other animals are by a different JW.
Aah - did wonder about the daily commute from South London to Nottingham University...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote: 21:54 Wed 21 Oct 2020This is JDAW's previously published work.
This is JDAW’s previously published book.

I own a copy of my namesake’s History of the British Pig, but did not write it. He did. Indeed, his book is one of the reasons I publish as “J. D. A. Wiseman”.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

jdaw1 wrote: 18:37 Mon 19 Oct 2020Hello lovers of Vintage Port, and readers of Port Vintages.

It has been awhile, and I’m happy to tell you of some good news.

As you doubtless recall, Port Vintages has an Addendum, with information newly come to light, and also repairing errors (the errors being much regretted). This is all in the Addendum, which has been updated. Hurray! The Addendum can be downloaded from www.jdawiseman.com/PortVintages/Port_Vi ... endum.html.

Please print onto acid-free paper, and enclose in the book.

Of course, even more information would be welcomed.

Enjoy it. Enjoy it with a glass. Stuff and nonsense to the self-restraint: enjoy it with a decanter. At least one.
Another update, gaining a bottling by Grants of St James’s of Graham 1963.
winesecretary
Fonseca 1980

Post by winesecretary »

And here I am having literally just re-read the now-previous version with a delicious fig-and-prune scented p'n'p half of 1980 Gould Campbell. Clearly I will have to go again. Submissions as to the appropriate wine for the occasion (Dow 1878 being lacking) welcomed.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

winesecretary wrote: 22:37 Mon 26 Oct 2020And here I am having literally just re-read the now-previous version with a delicious fig-and-prune scented p'n'p half of 1980 Gould Campbell. Clearly I will have to go again. Submissions as to the appropriate wine for the occasion (Dow 1878 being lacking) welcomed.
The only change is the mentioned bottling of G63. So a small sip of something would suffice.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

jdaw1 wrote: 23:06 Mon 26 Oct 2020 The only change is the mentioned bottling of G63. So a small sip of something would suffice.
Think I've got a number of bottlings that aren't included. Will email you details and hi-res photos.
nac
Fonseca 1980

Post by nac »

Julian - whilst looking something up in The Book last night (whilst sampling a particularly pleasant GB70) noticed that there doesn't seem to be a chapter/section on Churchill. Have I missed it or is this an omission? If an omission will it be included in a later Addendum?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

nac wrote: 16:21 Wed 28 Oct 2020Julian - whilst looking something up in The Book last night (whilst sampling a particularly pleasant GB70) noticed that there doesn't seem to be a chapter/section on Churchill. Have I missed it or is this an omission? If an omission will it be included in a later Addendum?
At some point in writing the book I found myself gathering evidence that Graham had declared 1994. Evidence was everywhere, including merchants wine lists later available from the likes of archive.org.

This was silly. So a cutoff date was introduced, being the year in which was scrapped the rule about through Gaia. After 1986 there were many more producers, some seemingly temporary or inconsistent. Hence each chapter’s ≥1987s are presented as a small summary.

Further, there were chapters only for those shippers with ‘enough’ evidence. As examples, this threshold was not reached by J. H. Andresen, nor by Poças, nor Messias.

Clearly, these two criteria affect Churchill. If ever there is to be a second edition, the Other Shippers chapter might gain some history of Churchill.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Were you able to identify a particular reason or reasons why there was insufficient evidence for certain shippers like the three you mentioned? Or is it simply an accident of history?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote: 22:20 Wed 28 Oct 2020Were you able to identify a particular reason or reasons why there was insufficient evidence for certain shippers like the three you mentioned? Or is it simply an accident of history?
No, I did not study that question. Many of my sources were of this island, so likely biased in favour of names selling to here.