An Oddity

Anything to do with Port.
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

An Oddity

Post by Will W. »

Purchased inexpensively last week through an online flea market in Portugal. I did (and do) not have any great hope for the content. What caught my attention was the broad arrow on the cap, which indicated to me that the bottle run was prepared for HMG and, in particular, the Ministry of Defence. Has anyone seen this sort of thing before?

As to content, whilst the bottle has no label, interested readers will presumably conclude, as did I, that it is a Gonzalez Byass 1960 colheita. The older style of selo would suggest that it did not spend all that long in the barrel before bottling.
Attachments
IMG_1481.jpg
IMG_1481.jpg (129.6 KiB) Viewed 5161 times
PhilW
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Re: An Oddity

Post by PhilW »

The symbol on the cap is the Gonzales Byass & Co. logo (the C wraps the & above the o).

See GB labels in the VPID for examples, such as http://www.hallarn.com/vpid/vpid_image. ... &qnum=3096
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

What makes you think it’s a 1960?
Will W.
Taylor’s LBV

Post by Will W. »

I am really laughing at myself, and I hope that the rest of you are too! Even on a second look, albeit with evidently failing eyesight, I would guess again that I was looking at a 60. However, that is clearly not the case. As for the (broad) arrow, and the rest, I had forgotten the GB logo, I suppose because I have only ever consumed one bottle of GB VP - a while back. I would still maintain that it is the broad arrow found on old government ordnance which was still stamped on some of the more archaic kit when I was a young soldier, nearly forty years ago. Perhaps GB adopted that, for whatever reason. At any rate, mea culpa, what with taking up valuable space on this forum.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Will W. wrote: 16:45 Sat 13 Jul 2019with taking up valuable space on this forum.
The discussion is valuable. The space is cheap. Be not shy about posting.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Gonzalez Byass certainly, and T stoppered.

At the risk of being hailed a pessimist, this could quite easily be a bottle of standard ruby or tawny..
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

It's always fun to look at pictures of old Port bottles. Please don't be shy about posting.

But I do know what you mean about the broad arrowhead symbol.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.